• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Making a case for Miami in the Big Ten?

4 Division with 5 teams each. Play the 4 teams in division each year and play one other division’s 5 teams each year. (Division B year 1, Division C year 2, Division D year 3, etc).

Division A - USC, UCLA, Minnesota, Nebraska, Iowa

Division B- Wisconsin, Northwestern, Illinois, Michigan State, Penn State

Division C - Indiana, purdue, Norte dame, Ohio State, Michigan

Division D - Rutgers, Maryland, Miami, Clemson, Florida State.

That would be a cool BIG Superconference
Having OSU in Lincoln once every 6 years is not ideal.

Having OSU in Lincoln once every 6 years is not ideal.

Yep, that's why the 3-5-5 models (and similar) work better. You get to play fewer rivals annually, but you rotate through the rest of the conference much faster.

For comparison, imagine an old Big XII where we played Oklahoma and Colorado annually, and then all the rest traded off.

Were at the max, we dont need more schools, its gonna ruin the “conference feel” when you go to 20. Its stretchin it now. More is not always better.

16 teams still presents a workable schedule to at least play every confr team twice within every4 year window. If your playing teams twice every 6 or 8 years, whats the purpose of a conference ?

With mega-conferences a pod model doesn't make as much sense, mathematically. It'd probably be more like 2-4 annual rivals that are guaranteed.
yeah that doesn't make sense either tho, NFL has been doing pods (divisions) for decades and its worked for them.

Were at the max, we dont need more schools, its gonna ruin the “conference feel” when you go to 20. Its stretchin it now. More is not always better.

16 teams still presents a workable schedule to at least play every confr team twice within every4 year window. If your playing teams twice every 6 or 8 years, whats the purpose of a conference ?
i think some would argue the "conference feel" was ruined when nebraska left the big12...

Where does it stop? If you keep increasing the size of two conferences eventually you will never have a true conference champion...multiple teams can have the same record and have never played each other. Who do you pick...who gets left out? You better increase the college football playoffs to 16 teams because if you think there arguments about who gets in now...just wait. Cut to the chase and make a it 64 team conference and be done with it.

We are already past a true coference. A true conference is one in which all members play each other annualy. We're past that already in the current BIG.

So talk of an expanded BIG conference is another Great Lie. Instead we will have an "association" in which some of the schools play more regularly against an out of "conference " school (like ND/Purdue) than they do against each other.

That is not a conference.

So saying NU is a part of this powerful BIG Ten conference won't really mean much except that we get more money to pay higher salaries for coaches (who are already being paid way too much) and try to compete in our stadiums complexes with NFL teams. It will have next to nothing to do with the University of Nebraska.

This is really well thought-out, Duck. And as much as I dislike Iowa, Wisconsin, etc., no one gets my absolute hate and disdain like Miami. Might be good to get them in the conference. Keeps things interesting. ;)
Nah, the stuffed shirts in the B1G are no fit for Miami.

This is really well thought-out, Duck. And as much as I dislike Iowa, Wisconsin, etc., no one gets my absolute hate and disdain like Miami. Might be good to get them in the conference. Keeps things interesting. ;)

This has a NU vs. Colorado smell a vision as far as Miami vs Ne.

I think the Big 10 needs to be very careful about top loading the conference with too many good teams. Every time you add a traditional power, you need to add someone in the middle. An Iowa State, Kansas St, etc.. should be added for every USC that is added.

I think the Big 10 needs to be very careful about top loading the conference with too many good teams. Every time you add a traditional power, you need to add someone in the middle. An Iowa State, Kansas St, etc.. should be added for every USC that is added.

Interesting point. Maybe grab a North Carolina and Duke!

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back