• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Making a case for Miami in the Big Ten?

I'd actually LOVE to see Miami in the B1G. Some heads on here would literally explode. Especially if we played them every year, it would be glorious.
1660712141336.png

No matter how unlikely, I'd be happy with any combination of Miami, FSU, Stanford, Notre Dame, Oregon, Washington, Texas, Oklahoma.

I keep reading how the ACC is likely off limits for anyone though, without a complete destruction of the league by a Big Ten SEC combined raid. It would seem incredibly unlikely that the Big Ten would get any of the aforementioned schools in this scenario though.
zero chance on sooners or texass, A&M on the other hand is a possibility.

Picking up Miami and FSU would be a major coup for the Big Ten. It means the conference all but owns recruiting in the Rust Belt, California, and Florida.

That's not to say that Florida kids wouldn't still play for UF (or UGA, BAMA, etc), but it sends a pretty large message that the Big Ten is a national conference while the SEC is regional.

The only recruiting hotbed the B1G wouldn't be in is Texas, which is unfortunate. But commanding such a huge presence across multiple recruiting grounds and TV markets is hard to beat.

Put it this way - who's the SEC going to retaliate with? Clemson, sure, but who else? UNC? VT? Kansas State? There's not that many good teams left on the table.
like i've said previously, build a national conference that that expands tv dollars. this has a secondary effect. it can eliminate ND opponents that it covets so much. your essentially gently making ND join. If the B1G is a national conf with most of ND's traditional opponents, they have no games to sell. no one is gonna pay tier 1 money for tier 2 or even 3 games regardless if its ND or not.

Grant of rights for sec/acc run till after 2033, so there would have to be some magic there with ACC teams owned by ESPN and B1G just separated from them. i still think if your gonna pay the price on gor with ACC you go after A&M. they hate texas and would see B1G as a step up with all the editions and TV footprint compared to the SEC. that gets into the texas market. heck, you could get all 3 florida schools.

Texas A&M screwed up sankey's plan for CFP expansion then announce texas/ok additions. instead they leaked out the Texas/Ok additions right before they were gonna vote on CFP expansion and then the committee shelved the vote and never held it. B1g should take advantage of the gift that A&M gave them and go for the kill shot.

B1G should not think expand then merge with SEC, take control of the situation and plunder what you want now before the SEC can react. if B1g and SEC were to merge in the future, i see some schools getting cut, purdue, vandy, kentucky, illinois, indiana, one of the miss schools.

Last edited:

The BIG should just merge with the NFC... Huskers need to be in the black and blue division. .........Vikings and Gophers... cross town rivals. Fun possibilities here guys....

Assuming Wednesday is considered "early next week", there should be announcement from the BIG today at this point regarding the Tv contract. Wonder what is drawing the announcement out so long (hoping it is a concurrent announcement with a new set of teams, but I would imagine that would warrant its own spotlight). GBR

Assuming Wednesday is considered "early next week", there should be announcement from the BIG today at this point regarding the Tv contract. Wonder what is drawing the announcement out so long (hoping it is a concurrent announcement with a new set of teams, but I would imagine that would warrant its own spotlight). GBR

Probably waiting on the definitive "no" from Notre Lame. The NBC part of the deal likely affects their deal as well so I am sure there is a lot of back and forth.

Probably waiting on the definitive "no" from Notre Lame. The NBC part of the deal likely affects their deal as well so I am sure there is a lot of back and forth.
I agree that it hinges on Notre Dame...outside of the Athletic Director for them making a comment this weekend about being able to maintain independence, still surprised it is taking them so long to actually "just say no". Nancy Reagan RIP. GBR

I don't like the idea of just gobbling up other Notre Dame rivals in an effort to get Notre Dame to join the Big Ten. It's like trying to make your ex jealous by dating hotter women.

But, that being said, both Stanford and Miami are great schools and they just also happen to be Notre Dame rivals. If ND's rivals were Marshall and Rice, it'd be a terrible plan to ask them to join to entice the Irish. But if we added Stanford and/or Miami - and the Irish didn't join the conference - we'd still have two great teams.

For what it's worth, here's a list of Notre Dame's rivals, compiled from both Wikipedia and KnowRivalry, which is a fan-sourced opinion poll. This is basically every team that could potentially even consider Notre Dame a rival, even if the Irish don't fee the same way (see: KState-Nebraska, etc).

Fully half of ND's traditional rivals are already in the Big Ten (with USC). Stanford and Miami could be fringe targets. If that goes down, it just leaves Boston College and Navy, neither of which is joining the Big Ten, IMO.

Boston Collegeain't happening
MichiganB1G
Michigan StateB1G
Miami*possible B1G target?
Navyain't happening
PurdueB1G
Stanford*possible B1G target?
USCB1G

Got no problem with it. As long as we are becoming NFL lite we might as well bring in the Florida teams. No reason not to. Regionality is dead. I think we should invite a European University while we are at it. Maybe recruit the University of County Cork while in Ireland. ;)

zero chance on sooners or texass, A&M on the other hand is a possibility.
Huh? ATM just had one of their better recruiting years. To the point it made BAMA mad.

They are not going anywhere

4 Division with 5 teams each. Play the 4 teams in division each year and play one other division’s 5 teams each year. (Division B year 1, Division C year 2, Division D year 3, etc).

Division A - USC, UCLA, Minnesota, Nebraska, Iowa

Division B- Wisconsin, Northwestern, Illinois, Michigan State, Penn State

Division C - Indiana, purdue, Norte dame, Ohio State, Michigan

Division D - Rutgers, Maryland, Miami, Clemson, Florida State.

That would be a cool BIG Superconference

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back