• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Locked due to no posts in 60 days. Report 1st post if need unlocked Mack Brown Recruiting

Status
Not open for further replies.
You better go back and look at the last 10 MNC winners and see the talent they had on their rosters....so not wrong....

WRONG.....otherwise florida/ut/usc would have won the last 45 NCG.

60-3 at NU in the 90's , the recruiting services had us in the mid 20's.

Agreed. It's hard for me to get very excited over Texas' troubles this year. They are still the defending Big 12 champions, and they own us. We really haven't done anything yet.

I can't disagree, but it's not sufficient reason to pass on the enjoyment of watching a Longhorn meltdown.

You better go back and look at the last 10 MNC winners and see the talent they had on their rosters....so not wrong....

You better go back and look at causation versus correlation.

In my opinion, a team needs to have talent that is among the best 25 teams in the country, but then coaching (both developmental and gameday) is the key to winning championships.

Talent is clearly a vital ingredient, but I disagree strongly that the recruiting services accurately assess talent.

I could not care less if NU never has another top 10 rivals ranking.

The stars do matter i think when it comes to depth. Someone pionted out that 65% of 4-star recruits turn out to be contributors where 53% of 3 star guys do. I can't remember the stats for 5 and 2 star guys.

Therefore, if team A has 100 4-star recruits and team B has 100 3-star recruits over a four year period, team A should have on average 12 more guys that can play on its roster. Is that a huge thing? With the 85 schollie rule it does become big I think at certain positions.

The recruiting services definitely don't get everything right, but on average, they're not totally wrong etiher.

I never argued that and in fact usually argue your point...my point was you have to have talent to be a yearly contender....and then coach it up....

I dont' disagree they are acurate all of the time...nor is the NFL when it drafts guys in the first round (i.e. Ryan Leaf) you can't measure a kids heart and work ethic...

we are saying are on the same page....except you should care about the talent we get as it reflects where we are headed.....

As for recruiting class ranking...I agree I could care less....I only look at Nebraska and who we gain each year...

In my opinion, a team needs to have talent that is among the best 25 teams in the country, but then coaching (both developmental and gameday) is the key to winning championships.

Talent is clearly a vital ingredient, but I disagree strongly that the recruiting services accurately assess talent.

Good points....we buried Frank for one average year.

Really good point! It's a bit early to bury Mack after one bad year with all the years of success he's had. Maybe some think he should have had "more" success with the talent around him. Who knows; we're splitting hairs. He's obviously done some things right to win like he has which is better than most of his predecessors. UT has experienced a resurrection under him so he must be doing something right. Is he perfect? No but not many teams have perfect coaches.

I believe that if you are ranked in the 30 percentile consistently, a great coaching staff can get you to compete with the top ten teams every year. Also a poor coaching staff can cause a top ten recruiting class receiving school to struggle with teams who will never make it in the top 25. Coaching is the only way to pan out with all the stars. Stars are just the potential seen in a kid.

With that, I think Mack will be alright like that Bob Marley song. "Don't Worry". Or was it Bobby McFerrin? Maybe it was both ;)

wrong......his coaching staff he hired after T.O.'s assistants retired didnt cut the mustard.Bo was hired ONE year too late. THe TALENT drain was the issue. Great guy, Solich wasnt cut out for the BCS. Why is he STILL at OHIO , under .500 in year 6.

You ARE so wrong...which is par for the course. Your hate for Frank oozes....pretty sad.

there are alot of people here that are hung up on stars, but with our coaches it really doesnt matter. they get players that fit their scheme and coach them up

It's not like NU isn't recruiting big time players...according to crabtree this may be a top 10 class. Point being even Pelini and staff know you have to go after the best. Of course, that's just the first part of the equation...they MUST be coached up from there.

Another coach I consider and utter failure is Mark Richt. This guy usually has top 10 classes and usually does VERY LITTLE with them.

Mac Brown has never been a great coach and in there lays the problem....

Always was of that opinion. He was lucky that a guy like Vince Young was such a great college QB.

When you SELECT rather than recruit you have no excuse for a year like this year.

Well...just maybe Rivals is wrong on their class ranking for Texas...it would not be the first time Rivals rated players wrong.

Then that means Brown is not doing his OWN homework. If I understand the rivals rankings thing...they don't even attach stars to Jrs do they? And Texas is usually mostly full before the stars are awarded?? Right? So if HE thinks they player is a player and he's wrong that's on him...not rivals.

WRONG.....otherwise florida/ut/usc would have won the last 45 NCG.

60-3 at NU in the 90's , the recruiting services had us in the mid 20's.

WRONG.

You use teams coached by one of the top 5 coaches of all time....led by a QB that was one of the highest rated QBs around...and very very highly regarded RBs. Pretty narrow view in order to nulify the statement you quoted. The vast majority of programs that have won titles in the last 20 years or so also fared very well in recruiting. Again, good recruiting doesn't guarantee success but poor recruiting fairly well dooms any program.

By the way..."in the 20's" isn't exactly bad when backed up with great coaching like NU had. Imagine what Mack would be doing with mid 20's 'talent'.

Certainly can't disagree there. You better have a quality coaching staff if you're going to win it all. Right now, biased as I am, consider NU's staff to be a top 10/top 5 staff. No other conclusion can really be made considering where NU was in 2007 v. where they are now or even a year ago.

You gotta have both.

The backlash against "Rivals" or recruiting rankings in general seems to be borne of distaste for those that treat those rankings like gospel. Hell, if you asked crabtree or whoever what their rankings ACTUALLY mean they wouldn't tell you that Team X who has been ranked highly for several years in the recruiting rankings isn't exactly guaranteed of success or that any one player is guaranteed to be great. It's simply a tool to give fans an IDEA of what's happening on that front. Nobody should have assumed that NU was going to be great based on 1995 recruiting. But they players recruited certainly gave NU a chance to be very good....a CHANCE...that was just a start. Unfortunately, complete failure ensued. Remember, Pelini has had one decent year, a good year and what's shaping up to be possibly a great year with a lot of guys that were recruited by the previous staff that was supposedly obsessed with rankings. Very few of the guys that have made a huge impact the last couple years were low ranked or walk-ons...some yes, but not a lot. (And I don't consider a guy that is a 3* to be lowly ranked)

Last edited:

WRONG.

You use teams coached by one of the top 5 coaches of all time....led by a QB that was one of the highest rated QBs around...and very very highly regarded RBs. Pretty narrow view in order to nulify the statement you quoted. The vast majority of programs that have won titles in the last 20 years or so also fared very well in recruiting. Again, good recruiting doesn't guarantee success but poor recruiting fairly well dooms any program.

By the way..."in the 20's" isn't exactly bad when backed up with great coaching like NU had. Imagine what Mack would be doing with mid 20's 'talent'.

Yep, NU may have a few more wins on him.. :nod: :Biggrin:

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back