• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Locked due to no posts in 60 days. Report 1st post if need unlocked Mack Brown Recruiting

Status
Not open for further replies.

YUENGLING

Travel Squad
10 Year Member
Texas recruiting classes: Rivals

2006 5th
2007 5th
2008 14th
2009 5th
2010 3rd

When you have recruiting classes like this and are currently unranked and in danger of not going to a BOWL GAME you need to look at coaching.

These 4 and 5 star recruits are possibly living off their High School careers people telling them how great they are and are not working to get better. That's on the coaches.

I was tired of hearing how incredible their secondary was throughout the pre season. Look at the Huskers three backups in the secondary held Gabbert to 199 yards passing and their coverage lead to six sacks. THAT'S COACHING

You can't live off your High School stats or press clipping with this coaching staff.:cool:

Makes you appreciate the value the Husker coaches place on character in recruiting and competition on the field. It also makes you wonder about UT's evaluation methods. Are they just going off recruiting service ratings? Mack Brown has primarily been a figurehead but he's got some tough decisions to make on his staff. I wonder if he'll bail and leave this with Muschamp....or if Muschamp takes an SEC job over being the Horns head coach in waiting.

there are alot of people here that are hung up on stars, but with our coaches it really doesnt matter. they get players that fit their scheme and coach them up

Texas recruiting classes: Rivals

2006 5th
2007 5th
2008 14th
2009 5th
2010 3rd

When you have recruiting classes like this and are currently unranked and in danger of not going to a BOWL GAME you need to look at coaching.

These 4 and 5 star recruits are possibly living off their High School careers people telling them how great they are and are not working to get better. That's on the coaches.

I was tired of hearing how incredible their secondary was throughout the pre season. Look at the Huskers three backups in the secondary held Gabbert to 199 yards passing and their coverage lead to six sacks. THAT'S COACHING

You can't live off your High School stats or press clipping with this coaching staff.:cool:

It's kinda funny, the same thing is happen/can be said with USC. Herbie said on Saturday that USC just didn't have the athletes to hang with the Ducks. I guess they just don't run as fast if they are getting paid! How can so many 4/5 star guys look so bad?

The Husker staff knows how to recruit, motivate, and teach. All positions "open" is not just talk and the players know it if you work hard you play. Nothing is given to anyone on this team everyone (including walk ons , scout team players) is treated equally . It starts at the top Bo has put together ( and has kept them together) an incredible and unselfish group of coaches. All of the coaches have each other's back and the players seem to be the same. There are no Prima Donna's on this team they seem like a team first group. That's the culture built by these coaches and why they will continue to be successful.
Just can't say enough about this staff.

Good Post Yuengling...I was thinking the same thing the other day when I heard someone on ESPN state that Texas "...just didn't have the talent..."

I thought, "What a load of crapola"...Mack Brown gets to cherry pick Texas every year for the best talent. Like others have posted here...USC, Florida, and Notre Dame have the same issues. And these issues are about the coaches coaching up their talent. They ain't getting it done.

I too love what our coaching staff is getting accomplished. While they "mystify" me sometimes with their play calling (especially on offense), I have come to the conclusion that I don't have a clue about the "big picture" on what they are accomplishing. I am resigned to the fact that I have to "trust" them and that they know what they are doing...because my knowledge is only HuskerMax deep (which gets pretty deep on occasion).

Stars do matter, to a point, if you hope to win a national title....coaching is paramount too, but you have to have talent to remain in the Top 10 year after year...and yes some high rated recruits don't pan out....but alot do....Suh was a 4**** who the Pelini's coached into a 5++ *****......so yeah it does matter with our coaches....we have eight 4-stars and one 5-star this year....

there are alot of people here that are hung up on stars, but with our coaches it really doesnt matter. they get players that fit their scheme and coach them up

Mac Brown has never been a great coach and in there lays the problem....
Agreed... Mack is a great guy and an outstanding recruiter... What I recall that really surprised me when he was hired - given his very good results at North Carolina - a UNC fan in Houston called in a radio show and said, "Good Luck"... He didn't think much of Mack's coaching... Pretty much, that was the analysis of his first 5 or 6 years... It wasn't until they finally won the MNC behind Vince Young that Texas fans were very happy. Yes, he was better than all the post Royal jokers (with the arguable exception of Fred Akers) but he didn't win big games, and he didn't win bowl games he should have...

Agree Red Reign you can't win without the 4&5*'s it just isn't possible for any coach. However someone on this Husker staff is doing their homework that the Mack Brown's aren't doing. There are tons of 4's and 5's that have peaked in High School they've been patted on the back won the awards, racked up the stats, and maybe are burnt out and just going through the motions. This staff seems to find the players who have a passion for the game and will work to improve. I believe they've weeded those out who are not up to the challenge in their first year or two and are now filling the locker room with hard workers who want to improve. It's going to be tough for Notre Dame and now Texas to get their programs back on track. As Husker fans we are so fortunate to have Bo and this staff he's put together.
I was at the first Friday Big Red Breakfast this year and heard Carl talk about the process of building a team and the importance of the work ethic and leadership skills in that process . There are no shortcuts and all the *'s without the work by coaches and players won't produce a program fans can be proud of today.

This staff goes after kids who are in winning programs who have had to compete for playing time in high school as they will in college and who are not afraid to do so and are team guys not me guys....kids who have good GPA's for the most part and are athlete's who in many cases can be moved or converted if needed to play other positions....no prima-dona's who have a sense of entitlement and yes you can find kids like that who are 3, 4 and 5 stars rated kids....

Agree Red Reign you can't win without the 4&5*'s it just isn't possible for any coach. However someone on this Husker staff is doing their homework that the Mack Brown's aren't doing. There are tons of 4's and 5's that have peaked in High School they've been patted on the back won the awards, racked up the stats, and maybe are burnt out and just going through the motions. This staff seems to find the players who have a passion for the game and will work to improve. I believe they've weeded those out who are not up to the challenge in their first year or two and are now filling the locker room with hard workers who want to improve. It's going to be tough for Notre Dame and now Texas to get their programs back on track. As Husker fans we are so fortunate to have Bo and this staff he's put together.
I was at the first Friday Big Red Breakfast this year and heard Carl talk about the process of building a team and the importance of the work ethic and leadership skills in that process . There are no shortcuts and all the *'s without the work by coaches and players won't produce a program fans can be proud of today.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back