• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Luke McCaffrey to Louisville

Like Delancy to Toledo, McCaffrey didn't put his name in the portal and then instantly say, "Come on, Louisville, please come through with an offer cause that is where I want to go!!" Like his brother, (and MANY, MANY others in the portal) he didn't get the offers he felt he would. Unlike his brother, he didn't go to Northern CO to play for his dad. Yes, some athletes go into the portal and get to choose where they want to go...but they are the very small minority of the players in the portal. Look at all the recent huskers to go in...ALL went to smaller, lower division schools. The Florida players, except for Delancy, went to decent schools but non-power 5 (except the one who went to Maryland).

Here are the recent locations huskers from this year and the 2020 class ended up at:

FIU, FAU, UCF, Toledo, WKU, Louisiana, Tulsa, Kentucky, Maryland, and Louisville....I just did this years players and commits who never practiced/played (i.e 2020). I could go back to 2018, when the portal reared its ugly head but I wanted to stay with players that were mostly Frost's players (though I realize a few may be Riley holdovers even then).

Not a name school among them. I get Kentucky is SEC, Louisville is ACC, and Maryland is B1G but they are all middle.lower tier schools and have never been elite. I get Nebraska is the same but at least we are still considered a blue blood. All those schools? A bunch of non-power 5 and such.

So the gist of this is that Luke did NOT get the offers he thought he would get. He "accepted" the best of the list of options he had. Unless there is a huge reason he wants to be in the city of Louisville or there is something about Louisville football we don't know about. This is the reality of the portal and players like Luke, who may be athletic and have a great future but there just aren't enough slots for all the players in the portal.
TL;DR but no matter what you bothered typing up there, Louisville SUCKS! ;):nod:

The bottom line is McCaffrey, like Martinez, is not a good fit for Frost's offense because they cannot complete the deep passes consistently. McCaffrey would have been a great qb fit in Osborne's offense not in Frost's. Frost's offense is only effective when deep passes are completed. It's an attack the defense vertically not horizontally offense. If Frost does not a qb or two on the current that can complete the deep ball, he is better off switching to Osborne's offense. He shown he can run in the OSU game a couple of years ago. Oddly enough, I think the players he currently has on his roster fit Osborne's system better than his. He has the oline, te's, wr's and rb's to run it. The question is does he have the qb? It's not Martinez, if continues to predetermine his read before the snap, maybe Smothers.

Spot development. You gotta love it. I just will never understand hiring anyone, friend, family or whatever, if they aren’t top notch. It comes back on you, you know, like you suck at your job or what not. Too many moving parts on a team to have a few areas not pulling their weight. If NU has some sub par coaches that seemingly cannot develop players, get rid of them. Why tie a boat anchor around your neck? Makes zero sense.

Yep, check ego at the door and hire the best assistants available.

C

I disagree with the last. Am
Isn’t so great he can’t be replaced. If the back ups are that far off a mediocre to bad qb then then it’s on the coaches for not recognizing the problem and finding a decent backup in the portal. At the end of the day if frost has another losing season i will be on the side of fire him. You can’t have four losing seasons and expect to still have a job.
Oh, I agree about AM. I was just trying to make the point if Frost can't get Smothers ready to play Big10 football, and we aren't sure yet because he hasn't taken a snap, then the Offense is probably in big trouble. And, I agree that Frost should be exploring the portal instead of relying on a Freshman QB who hasn't ever played a down. The next season will be pivotal in the career of Frost, and he is taking a risk if he doesn't at least explore the portal, IMO. But then again, what good QBs will be excited to come play here, in an Offense that has not exactly been lighting it up and on a team that has made a habit of losing?

What plan is that? Coaches always have a plan and a system....sometimes it just doesn't matter.
I'd say one that is predicated on a running game first. he came up under Jerry Moore at App St. A ton of coaching experience. Moore was a huge fan of TO and ran a lot of NU stuff for years. Satterfield learned this, the spread, the hurry up, inside/outside zone etc....He has been a part of 3 or 4 NC's while at APP St. Dude is simply put, a winner. He has been a part if multiple schemes and continues to develop schemes trying to stay one step ahead of the D. Recently, a lot of inside/outside zone with some variations of the spread. He will be a force in the ACC. He believes in running a system with plays you can hang your hat on....Not a bunch of stuff that makes you average......The RB's average about 18 touches per game...Qb's are part of the running game, but not the focus. He gets kids for his system he has. not the one he wants.

IMO, Frost needs to decide what he wants the team to be when he grows up. Decide what he wants to be great at and go all in on this. We have been too multiple for too long. And it's not just Frost. I have said a lot, lean on 12/13 personnel. Dives, counters, traps. Less stretch stuff. More vertical. PA passing. TE as an HB at goal line. Year 4 and we have yet to keep that "great receiver" or develop one. Same with a RB. Decide what we want to be and execute it in our sleep. That's just me.

I'd say one that is predicated on a running game first. he came up under Jerry Moore at App St. A ton of coaching experience. Moore was a huge fan of TO and ran a lot of NU stuff for years. Satterfield learned this, the spread, the hurry up, inside/outside zone etc....He has been a part of 3 or 4 NC's while at APP St. Dude is simply put, a winner. He has been a part if multiple schemes and continues to develop schemes trying to stay one step ahead of the D. Recently, a lot of inside/outside zone with some variations of the spread. He will be a force in the ACC. He believes in running a system with plays you can hang your hat on....Not a bunch of stuff that makes you average......The RB's average about 18 touches per game...Qb's are part of the running game, but not the focus. He gets kids for his system he has. not the one he wants.

IMO, Frost needs to decide what he wants the team to be when he grows up. Decide what he wants to be great at and go all in on this. We have been too multiple for too long. And it's not just Frost. I have said a lot, lean on 12/13 personnel. Dives, counters, traps. Less stretch stuff. More vertical. PA passing. TE as an HB at goal line. Year 4 and we have yet to keep that "great receiver" or develop one. Same with a RB. Decide what we want to be and execute it in our sleep. That's just me.

I get the point you are making here. And based on your name you understand App St is a great lower division program. But...App St has no staying power at the highest level. They are a small school tucked in the Appalachian Mountains. So, it is easier to be a power at a lower division school. Moore set up Satterfield nicely. Satterfield did a good job at ASU. However Louisville is a basketball school. Just like Kentucky is. Football will always be a nice diversion there. But they will always be at best a mid tier team in a basketball conference. Miami, F$U and VT are sleeping giants kinda like us. Just a matter of time before we all wake up. And LU gets pushed down the food chain. Kentucky will always be at best a 3rd or 4th place team in the $EC Least. Maybe 5th. No dis to Luke or Wan'Dale but guess they wanted to be a big fish for an afterthought program. Good luck and good night....

Last edited:
I get the point you are making here. And based on your name you understand App St is a great lower division program. But...App St has no staying power at the highest level. They are a small school tucked in the Appalachian Mountains. So, it is easier to be a power at a lower division school. Moore set up Satterfield nicely. Satterfield did a good job at ASU. However Louisville is a basketball school. Just like Kentucky is. Football will always be a nice diversion there. But they will always be at best a mid tier team in a basketball conference. Miami, F$U and VT are sleeping giants kinda like us. Just a matter of time before we all wake up. And LU gets pushed down the food chain. Kentucky will always be at best a 3rd or 4th place team in the $EC Least. Maybe 5th. No dis to Luke or Wan'Dale but guess they wanted to be a big fish for an afterthought program. Good luck and good night....

Since 2014 (that's the year Louisville joined the ACC), Louisville has played in 5 bowl games, Kentucky in 4, Nebraska in 3 (Nebraska hasn't been since the 2016 season, Louisville is one year removed, Kentucky just played in a bowl game).

Also since 2014, Louisville has finished ranked in the top 25 twice, Kentucky once, and Nebraska zero.

Also since 2014, Louisville has produced 8 NFL 1st round draft picks, Kentucky with 2, Nebraska with zero.

Haven't tried reading the entire thread yet but this kid will be in the WR room pronto... If he truly wanted to be a QB he should have stayed imo.... no other program will commit to him full as a QB imo... his future is a wide out

Since 2014 (that's the year Louisville joined the ACC), Louisville has played in 5 bowl games, Kentucky in 4, Nebraska in 3 (Nebraska hasn't been since the 2016 season, Louisville is one year removed, Kentucky just played in a bowl game).

Also since 2014, Louisville has finished ranked in the top 25 twice, Kentucky once, and Nebraska zero.

Also since 2014, Louisville has produced 8 NFL 1st round draft picks, Kentucky with 2, Nebraska with zero.

Hmm. I never mentioned bowls but sure, I will engage. In the timeframe you mentioned, Lamar Jackson was there for half of it. One could say that may have been their "high water" mark (possible exception Petrino part 1). But I said where they finished. So, yes, they had some good seasons under the current QB of the Ravens. But, not as great as one would think. They finished 3rd, 3rd, 2nd, last, and last season 12th in the mashed up ACC Standings. You know and I know bowls mean ---- (heck, we were even invited to one this year). So, using bowls in a measuring stick? Does not really matter. You are also using their high water mark compared our low water mark in my lifetime. And yet....our results are mostly similar. Except our lows are not as low as theirs. What makes you think Louisville will continue to do better than NU? I will now look at KY. But I did say they are a mid tier football team and a basketball school in a basketball conference.

Last edited:

Also since 2014, Louisville has produced 8 NFL 1st

Since the timeframe you mentioned, UK has finished 6th, 5th, 4th, 4th, 2nd, 5th and 4th in the $EC Least. Like I said. Mid tier at best.

Last edited:

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back