• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Luke McCaffrey Leaves Louisville

Kid was tough as nails. I’ve always respected him but he couldn’t throw any better than LM.

I beg to differ. He had a cannon for an arm, so his struggles were with accuracy and touch,... which were exacerbated greatly by having to carry the ball with poor blocking on almost every other play. Dude was a beast, and @goodnterribles was right: we never appreciated him because we blamed him for the losses. Tommy Armstrong was pretty close to a ditto, except Tommy was prone to forcing passes that never should have been thrown, which led to so many unnecessary INTs.

Better yet, treat the media the same way Dr Tom did, worked well for 27+ years.

This isn't really accurate. Nebraska fans disliked him early on because he wasn't as gregarious as Devaney. The national media went back and forth between treating him like an elder statesman and a dottering old fool. His personality hurt him with the national media during the intense heat of the LP scandal amid other scandals. Go back and rewatch how he handled Bernard Goldberg's question at the press conference where he asked Osborne if he'd feel differently about LP if it had been Osborne's daughter that LP had assaulted. It was a brutal question, but it was fair, and Osborne didn't know what to do with it.

I love Osborne as much as anybody outside of my network of friends and family, but we're putting a false patina on him when we remember him this way. Yes, it definitely helped him with the Nebraska media by the 80s and onward that he consistently lowered the expectations for recruits and young players, but this wasn't popular in the 70s, and there were always sharp knives handy, ready to attack whenever the team stumbled.

Frost and Osborne have very different personalities, but they share some common traits that work well for the Nebraska head coach to have. If Frost is winning, none of the criticisms being leveled would matter. The inverse was also true for Osborne in December of 1990 and early 1991 after blowing a big lead to Colorado, getting blown out by Oklahoma, and then getting shellacked by Georgia Tech. I heard him speak that winter: he wasn't in a very good place.

Last edited:

We've all seen games where the starters pulled, backup comes in, then he gets pulled and starter comes back in.
Now thats a mess a HC has created, as the backup 'blows' his chance, the starter knows confidence from the coach is shot etc.
Pure CFB theatre there

It works the other way, too. If a starter is making a lot of mental errors, I've pulled him to play someone who wasn't as good because the errors were more costly than the positives he had contributed. That's what I saw with Frost pulling AM for Luke. Likewise, the starter can be reinserted later, and everybody is better off as long as the coaches are communicating all of the above to the players. The only way that the backup gets upset is if--circa Brook Berringer 1994-95--he feels like he performed as well or better than the starter, and he deserves to keep what he had earned. Luke may have thought that, but he was wrong if he did. He likely did think that as he transferred out, and now he's transferred again. That's what a prima donna personality looks like.

It works the other way, too. If a starter is making a lot of mental errors, I've pulled him to play someone who wasn't as good because the errors were more costly than the positives he had contributed. That's what I saw with Frost pulling AM for Luke. Likewise, the starter can be reinserted later, and everybody is better off as long as the coaches are communicating all of the above to the players. The only way that the backup gets upset is if--circa Brook Berringer 1994-95--he feels like he performed as well or better than the starter, and he deserves to keep what he had earned. Luke may have thought that, but he was wrong if he did. He likely did think that as he transferred out, and now he's transferred again. That's what a prima donna personality looks like.
Yep.
I hate saying it, and it depends how deep into himself a player is vs real production,but it happens.
I'm certain AM was pulled so he could right himself, and its likely LM thought he'd earned something he hadnt.
The next man up attitude comes after injury, not after failure, and AM was failing himself and he needed time to straighten that out.

I was referring mainly in one single game you get a flip flop of qbs, and while it may look to a qb who wasnt practiced for by the opponent, and they have a good set of tools, once seen and prepped for, your opponent is going to take those tools away, and reduces a more one dimensional qbs effectiveness, and LM should have seen this IMO

It’s really hard to dispute any of this. He is a very talented kid. He’s grown up rich and entitled, so it’s possible he’s always had his way and now he’s at a crossroad with other kids as talented or better. If he wants to go to the NFL, it’s not as a QB, probably not even a RB. He probably has the ability, athlete wise, to go to the league, but I’m not certain he has the work ethic to make that happen. We shall see.
It is extremely unfortunate. I had very high hope for him, and TBH, was very surprised when we got him. Kind of a moment where I was like, alright, maybe we will use him like Newcombe way back in the day. We all know that he has the genes. If he does go to his dad's team (haven't read any new posts this morning) I feel that it will be more detrimental to his career. As you stated so well, if he goes to the NFL, he won't be a QB and he would be hurt way to often to be a running back. I feel as if he almost needs to embrace the fact that he has the build and possible potential like a Welker or Edelman.

L.M. woulda played the slot position quite well in my opinion, very quick feet, yet hes bigger than WanDale was. He may find himself having to take a position change to stay in P5, if any one will give him a look.

I haven't followed all the pages of this post... has he asked NU if he can come back? I wonder how folks and players would feel about that. I dont want this to devolve into a you know what storm.... If he can help our team, and the players are on board, then Id be ok with it. It all depends on the locker room response.

L.M. woulda played the slot position quite well in my opinion, very quick feet, yet hes bigger than WanDale was. He may find himself having to take a position change to stay in P5, if any one will give him a look.

I haven't followed all the pages of this post... has he asked NU if he can come back? I wonder how folks and players would feel about that. I dont want this to devolve into a you know what storm.... If he can help our team, and the players are on board, then Id be ok with it. It all depends on the locker room response.

No word, but I'm sure he isn't looking at NU. I think that relationship has soured on both sides. The Rutgers game situation didn't sit well, and then he announces his transfer right after the spring semester starts so he can get his stipend money, and doesn't compete in Spring Ball even though he was still at NU. Since this is his second transfer, he will either need to sit a year or go down to FCS, thus the thoughts about him joining his dad.

I'm waiting for someone to say that Frost is driving West on I-80 to go talk to the McCaffrey's, a la Solich going to Omaha to get Crouch back.

I think Luke is going to be really good for someone, but probably not at QB. Whoever guessed at his "late puberty" is right, IMO. He looks super coltish -- longish, skinny arms, big hands and feet. I think he'll be like his brother Christian and get thick in his '20's. I would like to see Luke come back, stand in front of the Unity Council and ask for another chance. Then he could work his ass off as a prelude to KICKING ASSES.
Can we get Jason Peter and Grant Wistrom to beat the hell out of him in practice? Just for nostalgia

This isn't really accurate. Nebraska fans disliked him early on because he wasn't as gregarious as Devaney. The national media went back and forth between treating him like an elder statesman and a dottering old fool. His personality hurt him with the national media during the intense heat of the LP scandal amid other scandals. Go back and rewatch how he handled Bernard Goldberg's question at the press conference where he asked Osborne if he'd feel differently about LP if it had been Osborne's daughter that LP had assaulted. It was a brutal question, but it was fair, and Osborne didn't know what to do with it.

I love Osborne as much as anybody outside of my network of friends and family, but we're putting a false patina on him when we remember him this way. Yes, it definitely helped him with the Nebraska media by the 80s and onward that he consistently lowered the expectations for recruits and young players, but this wasn't popular in the 70s, and there were always sharp knives handy, ready to attack whenever the team stumbled.

Frost and Osborne have very different personalities, but they share some common traits that work well for the Nebraska head coach to have. If Frost is winning, none of the criticisms being leveled would matter. The inverse was also true for Osborne in December of 1990 and early 1991 after blowing a big lead to Colorado, getting blown out by Oklahoma, and then getting shellacked by Georgia Tech. I heard him speak that winter: he wasn't in a very good place.
Well said

I beg to differ. He had a cannon for an arm, so his struggles were with accuracy and touch,... which were exacerbated greatly by having to carry the ball with poor blocking on almost every other play. Dude was a beast, and @goodnterribles was right: we never appreciated him because we blamed him for the losses. Tommy Armstrong was pretty close to a ditto, except Tommy was prone to forcing passes that never should have been thrown, which led to so many unnecessary INTs.
He definitely had a stronger arm than Luke. That’s not even debatable. His accuracy and touch weren’t very good and that’s where I was trying to compare them. Honestly their games are nothing alike. Lord would run a defender over.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back