• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Luke McCaffrey Leaves Louisville

I’ve got enough sense as well as most people in leadership roles that participate on this board to not say the things this head coach has said. To defend his repeated gaffs makes you a homer. Whether you want to admit it or not you know Riley wouldn’t have got a free pass with those kind of remarks.
I’m definitely a Nebraska homer! Can’t help myself! How’s your day going? You seem a little on edge. You know I agree with some of what you said but I can’t completely agree on this. I don’t think the comments about Luke being the future where that bad.

I’m definitely a Nebraska homer! Can’t help myself! How’s your day going? You seem a little on edge. You know I agree with some of what you said but I can’t completely agree on this. I don’t think the comments about Luke being the future where that bad.
It’s a series of multiple gaffes and missteps Frosty. It was calling out Riley recruits. It was calling out kids wearing hoodies when you yourself wear a hoodie. It was his handling of Washington. It’s our best practice week ever. The Big Ten is going to have to adjust to us. You better get us now. LM is our future. This is how we did it in the 90s. I’m going to take a team vote on the bowl game. Our schedule is unfair. We should ditch the Oklahoma game due to finances. I missed that part of the game because I was worried about my next offensive play call. Back to back top play makers on the team transferring in consecutive years. We have a culture problem. I’m not on edge whatsoever and I am as big a fan as any on the board. I’m just running out of patience with the current head coach and I don’t care that he’s a Nebraska legend. He’s got a chance in year four to the prove that he’s learned on the job and can pull this all together.

Last edited:
AM has the arm strength, but he has a difficult time putting the proper arc on passes that need it. I don't know if he ever played baseball, but a lot of pitchers with great arm strength can nail all of their throws, but at every level short of the NFL, a lot of times their receivers can't catch the ball. AM has a bit of "the yips" with those throws. If you're old enough to remember Chuck Knoblauch being incapable of throwing a ball accurately to 1st base from 30' away, he often did fine when he barely had enough time and just had to use muscle memory and instinct, but he almost always choked when he had time to think about it before throwing to first. It's often the same with good QBs when they need to throw touch-passes, like Swing Passes, screens, and deep fly patterns. It compounded the problem that AM was often throwing to short WRs who had a relatively limited catch-radius.

If AM has a strong O-line and running game to carry the bulk of the load, and he has time to throw, he'll be a different QB. He might still struggle with the yips on those touch-passes though. He will at least have a lot of larger targets, and a little success early can go a long way.

the Knoblauch example is a good one to describe what I saw with AM at times. He could hit a nice throw down the seams and longer downfield, but would struggle so much with the simple throws to the flat!

We have much bigger receivers now, so that will help as they can haul in a pass that isn't perfect and still be big enough to not get knocked around by the CB. He did look better down the stretch last year.. so there's hope.

Sad that Knoblauch could never live up to the promise of the years he had from '94 through '97... he was a great player those years

It’s a series of multiple gaffes and missteps Frosty. It was calling out Riley recruits. It was calling out kids wearing hoodies when you yourself wear a hoodie. It was his handling of Washington. It’s our best practice week ever. The Big Ten is going to have to adjust to us. You better get us now. LM is our future. This is how we did it in the 90s. I’m going to take a team vote on the bowl game. Our schedule is unfair. We should ditch the Oklahoma game due to finances. I missed that part of the game because I was worried about my next offensive play call. Back to back top play makers on the team transferring in consecutive years. We have a culture problem. I’m not on edge whatsoever and I am as big a fan as any on the board. I’m just running out of patience with the current head coach and I don’t care that he’s a Nebraska legend. He’s got a chance in the year for the prove that he’s learned on the job and can pull this all together.
Yes I agree with some of that and I know you’re a fan just like me. That’s why even though I disagree with some of it I understand where you’re coming from. He came in cocky and ran his mouth for sure. The Maurice Washington thing was handled strangely but I don’t know all the details. Part of me feels like he was really trying to help the kid. That part sees a similarity between Frost and his old ball coach.

One doesn’t have to compare the two to conclude that Martinez has had his share of issues. Hell, he didn’t get benched because the backup was better than him. Martinez was benched because he wasn’t performing up to expectations or his potential.
Says who? Stupidest coaching move ever to start a guy at qb you know is worse and can’t perform. You will never hear SF say he did it to prove a point to Am. This sounds like a narrative put together by all the people who called for LM and now want to justify how wrong they were.

I’ve got enough sense as well as most people in leadership roles that participate on this board to not say the things this head coach has said. To defend his repeated gaffs makes you a homer. Whether you want to admit it or not you know Riley wouldn’t have got a free pass with those kind of remarks.
I'd say you calling SF out is assuring he isn't getting away with it, much like someone would have called Riley out. So, same deal, different person doing the "calling".

And if Riley had came to Lincoln after an undefeated record, he might have been forgiven for saying some of those things too, but then again, that's a non-issue from the start.

I think a lot of that is recency bias though. AM was the 3rd year returning starter, who had struggled his sophomore year (albeit not all his fault). And here's the young kid with the famous last name, and he comes in and wins his first start. I think fans are always harder on the starting qb and always defensive of the backup. But I agree with you and I think AM will go down in Husker lore as one of the more underappreciated quarterbacks ever.

He may very well be remembered and under appreciated per the bolded. I‘m skeptical of that considering his won/loss record, deserved or not. Now if he has an All-B1G type of season in 2021 I believe under appreciated would be a moot point. I really like the young man as a person and scratch my head as to why he hasn’t been as successful as he was as a true Freshman. If he struggles again in 2021 then in my opinion he’ll never come close to being under appreciated like say a Jammal Lord was. Here’s to hoping he has a great year and shows us what most of us saw in him as a Freshman!

It’s a series of multiple gaffes and missteps Frosty. It was calling out Riley recruits. It was calling out kids wearing hoodies when you yourself wear a hoodie. It was his handling of Washington. It’s our best practice week ever. The Big Ten is going to have to adjust to us. You better get us now. LM is our future. This is how we did it in the 90s. I’m going to take a team vote on the bowl game. Our schedule is unfair. We should ditch the Oklahoma game due to finances. I missed that part of the game because I was worried about my next offensive play call. Back to back top play makers on the team transferring in consecutive years. We have a culture problem. I’m not on edge whatsoever and I am as big a fan as any on the board. I’m just running out of patience with the current head coach and I don’t care that he’s a Nebraska legend. He’s got a chance in year four to the prove that he’s learned on the job and can pull this all together.

And if he acted like Belichick during press conferences, the exact same people would then complain that he doesn't provide enough information. So it really is a no win situation. He should just answer all questions in clicks and whistles going forward.

He may very well be remembered and under appreciated per the bolded. I‘m skeptical of that considering his won/loss record, deserved or not. Now if he has an All-B1G type of season in 2021 I believe under appreciated would be a moot point. I really like the young man as a person and scratch my head as to why he hasn’t been as successful as he was as a true Freshman. If he struggles again in 2021 then in my opinion he’ll never come close to being under appreciated like say a Jammal Lord was. Here’s to hoping he has a great year and shows us what most of us saw in him as a Freshman!

Well Lord didn't have a good record as well, and I view him as the most underappreciated QB in Husker history.

Says who? Stupidest coaching move ever to start a guy at qb you know is worse and can’t perform. You will never hear SF say he did it to prove a point to Am. This sounds like a narrative put together by all the people who called for LM and now want to justify how wrong they were.
I think he’s trying to say that Frost benched Martinez for his poor play. This happens all the time in sports. You go to the backup to see if he can light a spark. Sometimes a kid needs to be benched for a series or a game to get his head straight. It can be beneficial at times. Martinez was struggling at times last year. I agree with you that it wasn’t all his fault but the struggles still happened.

And if he acted like Belichick during press conferences, the exact same people would then complain that he doesn't provide enough information. So it really is a no win situation. He should just answer all questions in clicks and whistles going forward.
Better yet, treat the media the same way Dr Tom did, worked well for 27+ years.

Did Wandale leave Nebraska due to an ailing mother or did he allow us to save a bit of face? You can use words like vindicated or everyone else is dealing with the portal but the common theme from those getting paid to comment on this is Nebraska is losing in the transfer/portal game.

He said it was due to an ailing mom. That is why I said. "ne (WanDale) went home because of his mother (what he said) in my original post. Did he save us some face? IMO, absolutely. But, while his mom was a factor, and how we were using him was another part of the equation, I believe his dad (and the people in his dad's ear) were the biggest factors. You know all the talk about tampering with players not even in the portal yet? About how coaches/staffs are using players "friends, family, and HS coaches" to gauge interest in whether a player would portal out if the school they are at would offer them a schollie? Yeah, I am sure that happened but that is JMO.

Per the bolded part of your comment, the article just posted on the main page would say you are not entirely correct. Yes, we have lost a few playmakers and a lot of potential but for every WanDale that has left, i.e. a major contributor, 5 Will Farniak's have left, i.e. though good depth, mainly non-contributors. Yes, there is potential players who left who could be world beaters, but at what level? The one who went to Toledo? I am sure he can put up big numbers playing the weaker than P5 schools he will now face. Same with all the ones who went to the UCF's, FAU, USF, FIU, Tulsa, Western KY, Louisiana, etc. Avery Roberts has proved to be a stud while Spielman has been a bust at TCU (I know, he was injured but the 3 game she played he had like 5 catches for 56 yards).

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back