• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Luke McCaffrey Leaves Louisville

OK, if the only thing we are talking about in this thread is whether Scott Frost is somehow redeemed by Luke McCaffrey's actions, I guess you might be right?

Or, I could have been emphasizing that the son and younger brother of All-pro football players didn't want to compete for the position. You can do your homework on a player, check out his family, ask the lunch lady, and still be wrong. Does that mean you made a mistake? When it comes to teenagers, I think it's all guesswork.

Yes, that is what I was referring to in your first paragraph.

I'm certainly not disagreeing with you on the latter

Last edited:

His decision-making was quick and efficient, and he had nice passes to all parts of the field under 10 yards, including the cross-field out-patterns that only count as 7-10 yard passes in the stats, but which actually travel about 30 yards in the air.
Finally glad to see someone with some credibility on this board acknowledging what kind of arm strength it takes to throw the sideline pattern. So many people saying AM he can’t complete a pass over 15 yards. I’ll add one more thing in regards to pick-6’s. The sideline pass is the most dangerous for those especially with a weak arm. AM has done a remarkable job of not throwing interceptions on that play.

Frost owes Satterfield an apology for instilling this bad culture in McCaffrey, thus causing him to transfer again.
Do you have to take things to the absolute extreme every time by adding this absurd hyperbole? The shtick is getting old my friend. Whenever someone says something critical...or in this case...even takes a neutral position on the topic, you have to jump in with this crap. My response was to a comment that said this makes Scott look good. If you actually believe this makes him look good, I'd love to hear your rationale as opposed to the very predictable, snide comments.

Let's try to be adults here and have a conversation. That would be a hell of a nice change.

Last edited:
Well sometimes it’s easy to blame the QB. Sometimes warranted. Perspective is important. I sat in a room last year listening to a guy rip AM on every play. Even successful ones. And then LM comes in and first play fumbles. He dismissed it as “jitters”.
I’m not a QB evaluator. I’m just a idiot fan that love Nebraska. I feel like a lot of us are quick to want tge backup without any real knowledge of how good the backup is. After seeing Luke play I realized Martinez is our best option. Martinez is a solid QB and I’m all behind him having his best season this year. .

As far as the weak arm comment. Unfortunately I believe I was the first one to mention it. I distinctly remember Apologizing in the post for what I was about to say. . But for the record……my source for the weak arm comment is a mutual friend of *** so…..maybe we are ganging up on Smothers.
I understand that we all want information and you where providing info from a source. I just want to give the kid time to develop and see what he can do. I’m hopeful he improves. Ive said my fair share of things on here I shouldn’t have. This board was way to hard on Martinez last year. If they lose to Illinois it will get horrible on this board. MABC and Dparks both believe KM could still be a good Quarterback. Maybe he can if he sticks it out and puts the work in.

Do you have to take things to the absolute extreme every time by adding absurd hyperbole? The shtick is getting old. Whenever someone says something critical...or in this case...even takes a neutral position on the topic, you have to jump in with this crap. My response was to a comment that said this makes Scott look good. If you actually believe this makes him look good, you might want to check yourself.

Let's try to be adults here and have a conversation. That would be a hell of a nice change as opposed to this juvenile behavior.
I really don’t think this LM situation makes Frost look good or bad. It really doesn’t have anything to do with Frost. This is just a kid that needs to figure out what he wants and work for it. Seems no one wants to work nowadays. I don’t know how this turned into a Frost is right or vindicated thing. I think Frost really wanted to keep LM here. Sometimes with 19 year old kids stuff doesn’t work out.

I really don’t think this LM situation makes Frost look good or bad.
Thank you for the mature reply. Please point out where I said this makes Scott look bad. I simply responded to a post that said this actually makes him look good or vindicated. My point being that people will go to the extremes to defend everything Scott does. And some folks on this board take it awfully personal when we're not blowing sunshine up Scott's butt on a 24/7 basis.

Last edited:
Thank you for the mature reply. Please point out where I said this makes Scott look bad. I simply responded to a post that said this actually makes him look good or vindicated. My point being that people will go to the extremes to defend everything Scott does. And some folks on this board take it awfully personally when we're not blowing sunshine up Scott's butt on a 24/7 basis.
I don’t think you did say that. Some posters have taken that stance. Some others took the vindicated stance. I’m taking the it is irrelevant stance. Doesn’t really have anything to do with Fosty at this point. I’m trying to be more mature. I keep my stupid posts for hot topics!

I don’t think you did say that. Some posters have taken that stance. Some others took the vindicated stance. I’m taking the it is irrelevant stance. Doesn’t really have anything to do with Fosty at this point. I’m trying to be more mature. I keep my stupid posts for hot topics!
And I agree with you here. 100%

Where I'm from,things go both ways, and so too has it here.
Man in charge gets the blame,be it the coach or the qb.

Now that weve all basically have said sometimes its shortsighted to place blame on one person,I see that as us just being better learned as fans

I’m right there with you about being accused of being a grumpy old man who doesn’t understand today’s youth.

But, with respect, I think you’re reading too much into this.

Stand in Scott’s shoes for a second if you will….

All year long there is a “quarterback battle” going on on his team.

I think we can agree that this is a distraction that NO Coach wants.

He has a young quarterback from a Football pedigree family who shows some promise but is clearly not ready to be the starter…..yet.

He would sure like reporters to quit asking him stupid questions about this young quarterback who literally blew up in the last game he started.

At the same time he would like to encourage the boy and hopes that he stays.

And then he said what he said.

I just really don’t have any problems with it but I can certainly see how others might.
If that were the only time that these type of comments were made, I don’t think this is even a discussion.

I'll join you in the thought lepers' colony: I, too, still think that he had potential to turn into a very good fit for Frost's offense. I saw him throw in the spring of '19, and I wasn't very popular when I pointed out that fall that he'd never completed any deep passes besides the one unexpected lob off of play-action against Iowa (which wasn't well thrown). I didn't want him to replace AM because I didn't think he was ready, but I said (and stand by) that he was completing longer throws last fall than what he was capable of throwing as a freshman. His decision-making was quick and efficient, and he had nice passes to all parts of the field under 10 yards, including the cross-field out-patterns that only count as 7-10 yard passes in the stats, but which actually travel about 30 yards in the air.

He needed to continue to develop in many ways. His arm strength will get better. Looking at him, I don't think he hit puberty until he was a junior or senior in high school, so he was physically behind as far as developing muscle. He also needed to develop his mental habits because he seemed to choke in key moments. Finally, he needed to mature, which means developing the space between his ears. I think that that part may have been further behind than any of us knew.
This is where I’m at. He’s never going to be Mahomes, but he doesn’t have to be to be successful. He doesn’t need to be a great passer, he needs to be adequate. A strong running game, talented receivers who can win 50/50s, a line that protects and creates holes for runners, the ability to be an explosive runner, and mixing in his short passing game could have made him an extremely successful player in the system.

Last edited:

Do you have to take things to the absolute extreme every time by adding this absurd hyperbole? The shtick is getting old my friend. Whenever someone says something critical...or in this case...even takes a neutral position on the topic, you have to jump in with this crap. My response was to a comment that said this makes Scott look good. If you actually believe this makes him look good, I'd love to hear your rationale as opposed to the very predictable, snide comments.

Let's try to be adults here and have a conversation. That would be a hell of a nice change.

It's called sarcasm. My apologies if you thought I actually believe that Frost should apologize to Satterfield.

This is where I’m at. He’s never going to be Mahomes, but he doesn’t have to be to be successful. He doesn’t need to be a great passer, he needs to be adequate. A strong running game, talented receivers who can win 50/50s, a line that protects and creates holes for runners, the ability to be an explosive runner, and mixing in his short passing game could have made him an extremely successful player in the system.
Here is the funny thing. You are absolutely correct. He doesn’t need to be mahomes. Just adequate if he has all the other things. But back to the funny. AM is a strong passer. Much so than Luke probably will ever be but isn’t given the supporting cast you mentioned and fans still blame him and defend Luke. Amazing that they can’t rationalize the differences.

Here is the funny thing. You are absolutely correct. He doesn’t need to be mahomes. Just adequate if he has all the other things. But back to the funny. AM is a strong passer. Much so than Luke probably will ever be but isn’t given the supporting cast you mentioned and fans still blame him and defend Luke. Amazing that they can’t rationalize the differences.
I absolutely think AM has more tools, and given the things I mentioned would absolutely play at a higher level. He does have some questions regarding decision making, ball security and durability that are their own can of worms, but if the key pieces are in place, I think either of our QBs could be successful.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back