• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Luke McCaffrey Leaves Louisville

How so? I think it can equally reflect on both of them. The coach for being wrong and the kid for not staying to make himself the future.
How do we know he was wrong? If Luke would have put in the work and developed as a QB he may have been the future. We won’t know because instead of working harder he ran for the hills of Kentucky.

For many, the first paragraph is what is causing a lot of questions. All the tss as ok of culture, winning culture, working hard, doing the right things, and then public statements probably intended to keep one person on a team ‘happy’.
I’m right there with you about being accused of being a grumpy old man who doesn’t understand today’s youth.

But, with respect, I think you’re reading too much into this.

Stand in Scott’s shoes for a second if you will….

All year long there is a “quarterback battle” going on on his team.

I think we can agree that this is a distraction that NO Coach wants.

He has a young quarterback from a Football pedigree family who shows some promise but is clearly not ready to be the starter…..yet.

He would sure like reporters to quit asking him stupid questions about this young quarterback who literally blew up in the last game he started.

At the same time he would like to encourage the boy and hopes that he stays.

And then he said what he said.

I just really don’t have any problems with it but I can certainly see how others might.

Last edited:
I’m right there with you about being accused of being a grumpy old man who doesn’t understand today’s youth.

But, with respect, I think you’re reading too much into this.

Stand in Scott’s shoes for a second if you will….

All year long there is a “quarterback battle” going on on his team.

I think we can agree that this is a distraction that NO Coach wants.

He has a young quarterback from a Football pedigree family who shows some promise but is clearly not ready to be the starter…..yet.

He would sure like reporters to quit asking him stupid questions about this young quarterback who literally blew up in the last game he started.

At the same time he would like to encourage the boy and hopes that he stays.

And then he said what he said.
He was given every chance to play QB by Frost who was one of the very few coaches willing to give him a chance. In my opinion AM will be a better QB and Frost a better coach with this distraction gone.
It was a good idea to recruit him and give him a chance the problem is he didn’t work out and it became obvious he couldn’t run the offense. He could and did run the ball very well and would have been a dynamic force as a receiver or a running back out of the shotgun but it simply wasn’t what he wanted.
I just really don’t have any problems with it but I can certainly see how others might.

It's been a long day. For some reason, I read through this entire thread, including the LJS article. Scott Frost was never quoted in the article as saying that Luke was the future at QB. The writer of the article actually wrote it in his lead. Frost, however, was talking about QB play...his own experience and who gave the team the best chance to win at QB. His statement about "the future" never mentioned QB....it was "There's no doubt in my mind that Luke McCaffrey's the future around here." He never said at QB.

To me, this article gave Luke enough "writing on the wall" to go chase his dream of starting at QB sooner rather than later.

In the article where Frost discusses getting benched himself to only come back and play with a chip on his shoulder, he was referring to Martinez, not McCaffrey. He even said that Martinez was playing with a chip on his shoulder. When Frost came back and started with a chip on his shoulder, he didn't relinquish the starting spot until his eligibility was up. McCaffrey saw the same scenario playing out and didn't want to be the future at Nebraska, especially at a different position since his coach didn't say the future at QB. The young man had a golden path to be the future. Instead, he delperdanged instead.

YARN | We're being called to assemble by the Vindicators! | Rick and Morty  - S03E04 Vindicators 3: The Return of Worldender | Video gifs by quotes |  1e3d79d5 | 紗

C

Of course, it appears I am in the vast minority when I say that he could still be a QB at Nebraska.

I'll join you in the thought lepers' colony: I, too, still think that he had potential to turn into a very good fit for Frost's offense. I saw him throw in the spring of '19, and I wasn't very popular when I pointed out that fall that he'd never completed any deep passes besides the one unexpected lob off of play-action against Iowa (which wasn't well thrown). I didn't want him to replace AM because I didn't think he was ready, but I said (and stand by) that he was completing longer throws last fall than what he was capable of throwing as a freshman. His decision-making was quick and efficient, and he had nice passes to all parts of the field under 10 yards, including the cross-field out-patterns that only count as 7-10 yard passes in the stats, but which actually travel about 30 yards in the air.

He needed to continue to develop in many ways. His arm strength will get better. Looking at him, I don't think he hit puberty until he was a junior or senior in high school, so he was physically behind as far as developing muscle. He also needed to develop his mental habits because he seemed to choke in key moments. Finally, he needed to mature, which means developing the space between his ears. I think that that part may have been further behind than any of us knew.

I'll join you in the thought lepers' colony: I, too, still think that he had potential to turn into a very good fit for Frost's offense. I saw him throw in the spring of '19, and I wasn't very popular when I pointed out that fall that he'd never completed any deep passes besides the one unexpected lob off of play-action against Iowa (which wasn't well thrown). I didn't want him to replace AM because I didn't think he was ready, but I said (and stand by) that he was completing longer throws last fall than what he was capable of throwing as a freshman. His decision-making was quick and efficient, and he had nice passes to all parts of the field under 10 yards, including the cross-field out-patterns that only count as 7-10 yard passes in the stats, but which actually travel about 30 yards in the air.

He needed to continue to develop in many ways. His arm strength will get better. Looking at him, I don't think he hit puberty until he was a junior or senior in high school, so he was physically behind as far as developing muscle. He also needed to develop his mental habits because he seemed to choke in key moments. Finally, he needed to mature, which means developing the space between his ears. I think that that part may have been further behind than any of us knew.
I tend to agree
But I have just one question
Who was AMs deep threat last year?

Definitely true...everything you said. If I think back to that time though, most everyone (myself included) was angry with Adrian and wanted Scott to give him a shot at starting. You maybe didnt do that, but I sure did. My point is, Scott was hearing it from all sides, so I am not sure he had another option but to start him. I also agree with what your saying in terms of Scott certainly not being vindicated.
I think saying most everyone was angry at Adrian is a little over the top. There were many vocal fans yelling it at the top of their lungs but the rational fans could see limited skills LM had and understood his situational success, especially running, would not translate successfully in a starting role. Our issues were well beyond the QB and still are. This spring has the fans drinking koolaid hoping those other issues are resolved. We will see in the fall

How would eligibility work if he did come back to DONU? Would he have to sit? Or would NCAA grant one of their Waivers they keep on toilet paper?
Not sure. He appears to have burnt that bridge anyway. I think it was dumb for him to have left in the first place. Maybe he will develop arm strength. And poise. And accuracy. And good decision making skills. And maybe he will start listening to his coaches. Dude has blazing speed in the open field no doubt.

That’s revisionist history. Luke was recruited while Martinez was a freshman and we all thought he was our next Heisman candidate. Bringing in a freak athlete who may be a project QB made all the sense in the world at the time. It didn’t work out and now everyone has their hindsight smarty pants on. Laughable stuff.
Except I didn’t ever buy into his an hype so I don’t have to play hindsight smarty pants. I get to put on my told you so smarty pants.

I think saying most everyone was angry at Adrian is a little over the top. There were many vocal fans yelling it at the top of their lungs but the rational fans could see limited skills LM had and understood his situational success, especially running, would not translate successfully in a starting role. Our issues were well beyond the QB and still are. This spring has the fans drinking koolaid hoping those other issues are resolved. We will see in the fall
It’s not that people where angry at Adrian. It’s that Adrian was playing poorly. He was making bad decisions and throwing poorly. I am one that doesn’t believe Frost benched Adrian because of fan pressure. Frost realized Adrian was struggling and made a change. Sometimes kids are gamers, maybe he was hoping Luke was that guy. Maybe he was hoping it would light a fire under Martinez and get him right. The whole comment about the rationale fan’s knowing better is the only comment I take issue with. It’s hard to evaluate Quarterbacks and honestly there isn’t anyone on this site that’s perfect at it. As good as N2FL, RR, ***, and others are they even get it wrong. It’s why I didn’t like *** saying Smothers had a weak arm and was so far behind. Maybe that’s 100% accurate and maybe it’s not. Long winded post brother. GBR!!!

Except I didn’t ever buy into his an hype so I don’t have to play hindsight smarty pants. I get to put on my told you so smarty pants.
You where definitely 100% in the Martinez is our best option camp. I remember us arguing :Cheers: . I enjoy a good argument withyou occasionally. Hey you and other posters made me realize I was being ridiculous in my criticism of Martinez last season.

You where definitely 100% in the Martinez is our best option camp. I remember us arguing :Cheers: . I enjoy a good argument withyou occasionally. Hey you and other posters made me realize I was being ridiculous in my criticism of Martinez last season.
Well sometimes it’s easy to blame the QB. Sometimes warranted. Perspective is important. I sat in a room last year listening to a guy rip AM on every play. Even successful ones. And then LM comes in and first play fumbles. He dismissed it as “jitters”.

It’s not that people where angry at Adrian. It’s that Adrian was playing poorly. He was making bad decisions and throwing poorly. I am one that doesn’t believe Frost benched Adrian because of fan pressure. Frost realized Adrian was struggling and made a change. Sometimes kids are gamers, maybe he was hoping Luke was that guy. Maybe he was hoping it would light a fire under Martinez and get him right. The whole comment about the rationale fan’s knowing better is the only comment I take issue with. It’s hard to evaluate Quarterbacks and honestly there isn’t anyone on this site that’s perfect at it. As good as N2FL, RR, ***, and others are they even get it wrong. It’s why I didn’t like *** saying Smothers had a weak arm and was so far behind. Maybe that’s 100% accurate and maybe it’s not. Long winded post brother. GBR!!!
As far as the weak arm comment. Unfortunately I believe I was the first one to mention it. I distinctly remember Apologizing in the post for what I was about to say. . But for the record……my source for the weak arm comment is a mutual friend of *** so…..maybe we are ganging up on Smothers.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back