• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Luke McCaffrey Leaves Louisville

It's the off season so there's a lot of discussions that really have ZERO impact on our 2021 season. Far as I'm concerned I have no ill will towards LM and hope things work out for him. After saying that to me he's yesterdays newspaper. I'll add IMO it would be extremely unlikely had LM stayed he could have become a featured receiver anytime soon at Nebraska.
Per bolded, I don't know, that kid can flat out run and he has real good hands. I think he would of been a heck of a slot receiver in Frost's offense. Of course, it appears I am in the vast minority when I say that he could still be a QB at Nebraska. I am going to get flack for this next few sentences but Frazier, Frost, and even Crouch to a degree were not good passing QB's. I mean, Frazier was 50-55% QB at best, and Frost/Crouch weren't much better. What made them All-Americans? Great defenses, and, way more importantly, All-World rushing offense. Play action works wonders when you can actually rush for almost 7 yards every carry. Nebraska would have to vastly ramp up their rushing attack to make Luke a more efficient/effective QB at Nebraska. But he threw a good ball, IMO he just got careless with it (AM does, too). But, even with me saying that, I think he would make a better slot WR than QB. Quick AND fast, good hands, very intelligent, seemed to be a hard worker while at NU until the very end.

To play devil's advocate, I read he hadn't actually enrolled at Louisville or accepted financial aid yet (which makes some sense since he was as student at NU this spring, via online). IF (big IF) that is true, he would still be "on the books" at Nebraska. With that being said, would Frost entertain taking him back if Luke asked? I know, a lot on here (and other sites) are saying, "No, he is about himself, he would scare away one of our younger QB's, he would be a cancer, etc, etc." But what would Frost do I wonder????

Again, I believe this ship sailed at the Rutgers game but I am curious who is advising Luke and who Luke (and family?) is reaching out to?

But I still think he ends up at N CO. Attacking the kid or not, he just gave himself a very bad look, and considering his dad and Christian, he looks like the opposite of them, a quitter and lazy kid (but I truly don't think that myself but it is getting tobe a common theme from what i have been hearing/reading).

I hope the best for him and actually can't wait to see this soap opera play itself out, cause he had shown great flashes of potential while at Nebraska.

Bumps up against an observation /question about letting the fans determine your starter...and a few other things too.

While Martinez did not set the world on fire, not all of that can can be blamed on him. There was/is a whole lot more that was 'wrong' and going 'wrong' than AM. It impacted him tho, and because he was the QB, it all came down on him...and then he got benched...because...?

Was it to get his head straight? Was it because LM was the better option? Was it because SF gave into the fan demands?

I can easily see an argument for 2 of those 3, but not one of them.
Call me crazy but some of the things that come out of the mouth of the head coach and some of the decisions made or at least the timing of them certainly look to me like they are said and made with a certain portion of the fan base in mind. It's almost as though he follows social media chatter. When you come out heaping that kind of praise on the backup QB what kind of message does that send to Smoothers, Masker, and your incoming recruits. His public gaffs have just been difficult for me to wrap my head around and I know he is new to this but it's almost incomprehensible that he hasn't figured out that calling out certain players and praising others in the media will cause the dreaded culture problems. Some call him cocky and arrogant but I see a guy that is not comfortable in front of a camera or an audience then when emotional his mouth sometimes gets ahead of him.

Last edited:
Per bolded, I don't know, that kid can flat out run and he has real good hands. I think he would of been a heck of a slot receiver in Frost's offense. Of course, it appears I am in the vast minority when I say that he could still be a QB at Nebraska. I am going to get flack for this next few sentences but Frazier, Frost, and even Crouch to a degree were not good passing QB's. I mean, Frazier was 50-55% QB at best, and Frost/Crouch weren't much better. What made them All-Americans? Great defenses, and, way more importantly, All-World rushing offense. Play action works wonders when you can actually rush for almost 7 yards every carry. Nebraska would have to vastly ramp up their rushing attack to make Luke a more efficient/effective QB at Nebraska. But he threw a good ball, IMO he just got careless with it (AM does, too). But, even with me saying that, I think he would make a better slot WR than QB. Quick AND fast, good hands, very intelligent, seemed to be a hard worker while at NU until the very end.

To play devil's advocate, I read he hadn't actually enrolled at Louisville or accepted financial aid yet (which makes some sense since he was as student at NU this spring, via online). IF (big IF) that is true, he would still be "on the books" at Nebraska. With that being said, would Frost entertain taking him back if Luke asked? I know, a lot on here (and other sites) are saying, "No, he is about himself, he would scare away one of our younger QB's, he would be a cancer, etc, etc." But what would Frost do I wonder????

Again, I believe this ship sailed at the Rutgers game but I am curious who is advising Luke and who Luke (and family?) is reaching out to?

But I still think he ends up at N CO. Attacking the kid or not, he just gave himself a very bad look, and considering his dad and Christian, he looks like the opposite of them, a quitter and lazy kid (but I truly don't think that myself but it is getting tobe a common theme from what i have been hearing/reading).

I hope the best for him and actually can't wait to see this soap opera play itself out, cause he had shown great flashes of potential while at Nebraska.
I'm not saying LM couldn't possibly become a heck of a good slot receiver. I am saying because he has almost zero experience I don't believe he would see much action this season. Right now I think Nebraska will have an exceptional receiving core for 2021. There would be very little incentive to play LM over our best receivers right now. So he'd simply spend another year on the bench while learning a new position at the P5 level.

When we compare TF and SF to LM at QB we're talking about a couple of players that were large, very strong and physical specimens. I suspect EC (tough as nails) was probably as fast as LM. Neither TF or SF were as fast as LM but I don't think that's very important playing in the BIG. Hard to compare in that all those former Husker QB's played in a very different offense which isn't coming back under SF imo. If LM wanted to return and understood he would change positions I wouldn't object. That however isn't going to happen but I can see LM going down to a lower division if he has any chance at playing QB.

Last edited:

I disagree that the things said about the players in the team you were hired to coach was out of the coaches hands.

They own every word they said, or didn’t.

Oh, wasn’t Jurgens a Riley commit?
No, conflating what I said, they are responsible and have a learning curve, but getting in so late the first year ,thereby having few juniors ,they took what they thought was the best without vetting, as there was no time for it.
But doing thing different, yes theyd better,or they learned nothing.
I include Jurgens only because of his transition, but yea, he was N regardless, but under MR

Last edited:
Call me crazy but some of the things that come out of the mouth of the head coach and some of the decisions made or at least the timing of them certainly look to me like they are said and made with a certain portion of the fan base in mind. It's almost as though he follows social media chatter. When you come out heaping that kind of praise on the backup QB what kind of message does that send to Smoothers, Masker, and your incoming recruits. His public gaffs have just been difficult for me to wrap my head around and I know he is new to this but it's almost incomprehensible that he hasn't figured out that calling out certain players and praising others in the media will cause the dreaded culture problems. Some call him cocky and arrogant but I see a guy that is not comfortable in front of a camera or an audience then when emotional his mouth sometimes gets ahead of him.
I have to say he didn't learn a lot playing for TO when it comes to making public statements. :Lol:

Fot that matter, what was HCSF thinking when he said that LM was "the future at QB here"?
I think he said that just to keep the kid happy….and here. I mean let’s face it. It’s big-time college sports and it’s brutal. Scott could’ve easily backed off from that at any point later.

But it didn’t keep him happy because I think he was smart enough to see the writing on the wall. I mean all he had to do was look at the film. A vast majority of his passes were…horrific….I mean REALLY horrific.

The kid could run like crazy and honestly his successes were simply busted pass plays that he turned into yardage.

Too bad we couldn’t have figured out some way to use his true skill….and keep him happy.

But it is what it is and I honestly hope he does well. He gave us 100% while he was here.

Not sure why we keep banging on poor Luke McCaffrey….he’s really no different than about 1000 kids looking for different places to play right now. It’s the transfer portal and it is here to stay. We seem to be so offended by it….I mean how dare they want to leave us!:)

SAY…HOW ABOUT THAT BASEBALL TEAM!!

Better subject….

Last edited:
They probably seen him practice and told him to move to running back if he wants on the field. I hope someone gets through to him that he’s an NFL player if he switches positions.

They probably seen him practice and told him to move to running back if he wants on the field. I hope someone gets through to him that he’s an NFL player if he switches positions.
He's fast but not sure he is anywhere close to NFL talent. At what position and why? Running back?? There is a huge difference running out of the shotgun or on a busted play than being a feature ball carrier. You can speculate all you want that he would be a good slot receiver but the kid is a rail this we know. Is there any indication he would be a better receiver than say a Jordan Westerkamp who couldn't get a cup of coffee in the NFL. There is more to making the league than being fast and having a famous last name.

I'm not saying LM couldn't possibly become a heck of a good slot receiver. I am saying because he has almost zero experience I don't believe he would see much action this season. Right now I think Nebraska will have an exceptional receiving core for 2021. There would be very little incentive to play LM over our best receivers right now. So he'd simply spend another year on the bench while learning a new position at the P5 level.

When we compare TF and SF to LM at QB we're talking about a couple of players that were large, very strong and physical specimens. I suspect EC (tough as nails) was probably as fast as LM. Neither TF or SF were as fast as LM but I don't think that's very important playing in the BIG. Hard to compare in that all those former Husker QB's played in a very different offense which isn't coming back under SF imo. If LM wanted to return and understood he would change positions I wouldn't object. That however isn't going to happen but I can see LM going down to a lower division if he has any chance at playing QB.
I agree, we have some real talent at WR and he would be lower on the depth chart. But I would bet he was one of the fastest players we had. Yeah, I also agree that Luke isn't going to take a lot of hits due to his size. All I know is he had some spectacular plays at nebraska but, unfortunately had brain farts, too. In the old days, he just tuffs it out, takes his licks and gets better. Now? They portal out. and then portal out again. and again.

Did not expect Luke to transfer so soon. I guess this does shed some light on why he transferred from Nebraska.

I remember Scott’s comments on Luke back in December kinda bothering me. A lot of posters were saying that Luke’s departure was no big loss(agree) but not casting a skeptical eye on Scott’s strange comment that Luke was somehow the future. Like Scott was either BSing or he really thought Luke was the future which is pretty bad too.
If the future is transferring when you don't start, Frost was pretty accurate.

I think he said that just to keep the kid happy….and here. I mean let’s face it. It’s big-time college sports and it’s brutal. Scott could’ve easily backed off from that at any point later.

But it didn’t keep him happy because I think he was smart enough to see the writing on the wall. I mean all he had to do was look at the film. A vast majority of his passes were…horrific….I mean REALLY horrific.

The kid could run like crazy and honestly his successes were simply busted pass plays that he turned into yardage.

Too bad we couldn’t have figured out some way to use his true skill….and keep him happy.

But it is what it is and I honestly hope he does well. He gave us 100% while he was here.

Not sure why we keep banging on poor Luke McCaffrey….he’s really no different than about 1000 kids looking for different places to play right now. It’s the transfer portal and it is here to stay. We seem to be so offended by it….I mean how dare they want to leave us!:)

SAY…HOW ABOUT THAT BASEBALL TEAM!!

Better subject….
For many, the first paragraph is what is causing a lot of questions. All the tss as ok of culture, winning culture, working hard, doing the right things, and then public statements probably intended to keep one person on a team ‘happy’.

That arguably is incredibly inconsistent with the whole building a culture thing, and can be interpreted as not holding all of the team to the same standard. Not that much different than the Mo Washington saga. That will most likely cause problems with buying into the culture.

Of course, I’ll allow the possibility that teenage Yoda Jr is right, and I’m a grumpy old man that doesn’t understand today’s youth.

I agree, we have some real talent at WR and he would be lower on the depth chart. But I would bet he was one of the fastest players we had. Yeah, I also agree that Luke isn't going to take a lot of hits due to his size. All I know is he had some spectacular plays at nebraska but, unfortunately had brain farts, too. In the old days, he just tuffs it out, takes his licks and gets better. Now? They portal out. and then portal out again. and again.
LM is blazing fast in pads. As in, no one could catch him from behind in practice when he was on our roster.

There is always room for that kind of speed. As unimpressed as I am with Frost at the current moment, I still think he has the ability to re-create what he did at UCF if he gets his head on straight. Frost finds a role for a guy like LM.

But, LM coming back to NU.......that ship has sailed. NU and LM didn't exactly part on the best of terms.

I can see that for sure but LM was a project at QB and we needed more/better QB behind AM and those weren't there. I think that presents an issue with the QB recruiting overall.
That’s revisionist history. Luke was recruited while Martinez was a freshman and we all thought he was our next Heisman candidate. Bringing in a freak athlete who may be a project QB made all the sense in the world at the time. It didn’t work out and now everyone has their hindsight smarty pants on. Laughable stuff.

I probably did want LM to start but I can't remember. I'm a fan which means that sometimes my emotions get the better of me in terms of who should play/start.

Frost is better than I am for sure so I hope the "hearing it from all sides" didn't play a role in him starting LM. I suspect it didn't to be honest.
I agree with you there. People keep saying Frost was pressured into playing McCaffrey. No, he played Luke because Martinez was failing. And for some time, with struggles going back to 2019. So Frost made the difficult decision to bench the struggling starting QB. The fact that Luke didn’t take over the job doesn’t make benching Martinez for a while a mistake. In fact, I think Martinez played better and most certainly played tougher in his return to the starting role. I agreed with the benching at the time, and still think it was the right move.

Last edited:

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back