• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Luke McCaffrey Leaves Louisville

Definitely some things he said that I prefer he hadn’t. I’m chalking it up to being a young coach and misreading the locker room. I think he thought he could motivate them with some of those comments in the beginning. I did tire of hearing the same comments at the end of season two. We shouldn’t hear anything about the former staff moving forward.
Yeah...it seems 'anti-team', at least to me, to have heard those comments and the way they were presented.

Tho admittedly if you asked me whether any of this surprises me about Frost, I'd say 'no, no in the least'. I have my own biases that go all the way back to a time long ago and have nutt'n to do with football, Stanford or anything else...just personal interactions...

Not shocked that he wasn't going to be handed the job . . . a little surprised he's gone so fast from stop #2. Luke's just not a D1 starter at QB anywhere but someplace that runs the option all the time. And even then, there are better passers that would probably jump ahead. Kid's a great athlete--but his passing and arm strength is just subpar by quite a ways. No real surprise given how briefly he's played QB.

Just reinforces that it was probably addition by subtraction in the end. Hope he finds a home, but I also hope he comes to grips with where his talent is. Could have been a heckuva "slash" type player at NU . . . a sometimes-QB who could also play receiver and RB.

I'm more concerned about the psyche of 18-22 year olds, and what hearing that message, repeatedly, can do to their level of buy-in.

I can't really see it as conducive to that, and I doubt anyone who has way more knowledge on those issues than I do would see it as being conducive to buying in.

Add to that the treatment some of Frost's guys received compared to the treatment the other guys received...well...WCPGW?

Not a really 'buy-in to the team' moments if you think about it.
And, lets not pretend the guys that stayed and contributed didnt know the score, and were placed as leaders on the team.
That wasnt a great fit for Spielman, and he had some issues both on and off the field, an IMO, thought a change would help.

Most of the MR are gone that didnt start or were beaten out as well, and we havnt seen any world shaking from them other than a LB.

So it isnt a good look doing what SF did, he really wasnt wrong

Last edited:
He's talented, but his brother is a once in a lifetime athlete. He may have the ability to rise close to Christian's level but I seriously doubt his work ethic. If you expect things handed to you, you feel no need to polish the skills you have. Unfortunate for this kid, but a life lesson learned down the road.
It’s really hard to dispute any of this. He is a very talented kid. He’s grown up rich and entitled, so it’s possible he’s always had his way and now he’s at a crossroad with other kids as talented or better. If he wants to go to the NFL, it’s not as a QB, probably not even a RB. He probably has the ability, athlete wise, to go to the league, but I’m not certain he has the work ethic to make that happen. We shall see.

I think Frost would have benefited from a few more years coaching at UCF. Things happened and now he’s our coach. They need to show significant progress this season in my opinion. I’m confident they will.
Here's my issue with that...the young coach thing...

He learned from some of the greatest coaches ever, right?

What was it he learned again?

Bumps up against an observation /question about letting the fans determine your starter...and a few other things too.

While Martinez did not set the world on fire, not all of that can can be blamed on him. There was/is a whole lot more that was 'wrong' and going 'wrong' than AM. It impacted him tho, and because he was the QB, it all came down on him...and then he got benched...because...?

Was it to get his head straight? Was it because LM was the better option? Was it because SF gave into the fan demands?

I can easily see an argument for 2 of those 3, but not one of them.

I don't think it had anything to do with the fans. I think he knew his team needed a jolt of some sort.

And, lets not pretend the guys that stayed and contributed didnt know the score, and were placed as leaders on the team.
That wasnt a great fit for Spielman, and he had some issues both on and off the field, an IMO, thought a change would help.

Most of the MR are gone that didnt start or were beaten out as well, and we havnt seen any world shaking from them other than a LB.

So it isnt a good look doing what SF did, he really wasnt wrong
Haven't seen much form Frost's guys either have we?

Chin's guys have definitely been way more impressive tho.

I don't think it had anything to do with the fans. I think he knew his team needed a jolt of some sort.
Maybe...maybe not. But, I'd tend to lean to the fans desires, some of them at least, tending to make it an easier decision to give the team a needed jolt.

And sometimes, the loyalty doesn't even extend from players who DO start!
So true…I mean look at Wan Dale..

He wanted touches…we gave him a ton….CHECK
He wanted to be in the media spotlight…CHECK
He wanted to be a team spokesman and leader….CHECK

He left because the touches were “not the right type”…

and the way he got hit at the goal line a couple of times I can kind of see where he was coming from LOL

But your point is absolutely true.

Exactly my point.
So,first year guys redshirt with 4 games maybe,majority do.
Second year theyre rs frosh, not many start.
Next year was covid,8 games, no spring practice,screwed up fall camp,delays cancellations etc.
So, I see Benhart,AM,several transfers , Jurgens, and Corcoran on offense,Vokolek being one of the transfers,Mills did well, but all the rest are too young,the few from MR that stayed have done well.

Saying our young guys havnt stepped up, wheres their help?
We know we have a few standout guys, and its much easier when youre starting to really contribute, having more veteran team, which we didnt have, having alot of great athlete, which we didnt have, makes it easy to highlight young talent.
Its a whole flip, not just a RB we need, or whats the new qb gonna belike etc.
The whole O line had to be rebuilt, two guys got passed over along the way, no wrs,etc,which is its own thread, but holes filled at RB, TE and youth surpassing old regime guys on the line, as well as at RB.

All the seeing is coming this year, we will see guys step up, the entire team as a whole be better.
We all know those last minute gems were there in the 2018 class were there for a reason.
I just dont see a disconnect here, and what was done early on was out of the staffs hands for part, and a learning curve for another part.
The guys at UCF didnt flock from this staff, and as everyone points out,they were doing very well two years prior, but they stayed,they didnt leave.
Did the young staff think MR guys would do the same?
Most of the good players did just that, and thats my point after context

Where oh where are all the posters here that wanted LM to be the starter ahead of AM?

Fot that matter, what was HCSF thinking when he said that LM was "the future at QB here"?

Last edited:
So,first year guys redshirt with 4 games maybe,majority do.
Second year theyre rs frosh, not many start.
Next year was covid,8 games, no spring practice,screwed up fall camp,delays cancellations etc.
So, I see Benhart,AM,several transfers , Jurgens, and Corcoran on offense,Vokolek being one of the transfers,Mills did well, but all the rest are too young,the few from MR that stayed have done well.

Saying our young guys havnt stepped up, wheres their help?
We know we have a few standout guys, and its much easier when youre starting to really contribute, having more veteran team, which we didnt have, having alot of great athlete, which we didnt have, makes it easy to highlight young talent.
Its a whole flip, not just a RB we need, or whats the new qb gonna belike etc.
The whole O line had to be rebuilt, two guys got passed over along the way, no wrs,etc,which is its own thread, but holes filled at RB, TE and youth surpassing old regime guys on the line, as well as at RB.

All the seeing is coming this year, we will see guys step up, the entire team as a whole be better.
We all know those last minute gems were there in the 2018 class were there for a reason.
I just dont see a disconnect here, and what was done early on was out of the staffs hands for part, and a learning curve for another part.
The guys at UCF didnt flock from this staff, and as everyone points out,they were doing very well two years prior, but they stayed,they didnt leave.
Did the young staff think MR guys would do the same?
Most of the good players did just that, and thats my point after context
I disagree that the things said about the players in the team you were hired to coach was out of the coaches hands.

They own every word they said, or didn’t.

Oh, wasn’t Jurgens a Riley commit?

Where oh where are all the posters here that wanted LM to be the starter ahead of AM?

Fot that matter, what was HCSF thinking when he said that LM was "the future at QB here"?
Almost every fan base calls for the backup when the offense is struggling. That’s fairly normal. Now we’ve all seen him play and can make a true assessment. Scott Frost was saying what most coaches would about a player on his team. It wasn’t that big of a deal.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back