• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Luke McCaffrey Leaves Louisville

Luke had an opportunity here, he would had a chance after AM, possibly in 22, but he woulda competed with the other QBs, and theres no guarantee. I remember T.O. saying.... you dont take turns in athletics. Logan S, also wants the job in 22, competition makes the team better.

I wouldn't say it reflects poorly on Frost but it certainly doesn't vindicate him either. It's was a recruiting mistake coupled with a starting him as QB mistake as well. The comment is an issue IMO because I think he was placating LM's ego and should have been more discrete about it.

Maybe you're right and the comment was more vague than I'm remembering it.
If you could just get in touch with Frost before he screws up again that would save us all a lot of grief.

Did not expect Luke to transfer so soon. I guess this does shed some light on why he transferred from Nebraska.

I remember Scott’s comments on Luke back in December kinda bothering me. A lot of posters were saying that Luke’s departure was no big loss(agree) but not casting a skeptical eye on Scott’s strange comment that Luke was somehow the future. Like Scott was either BSing or he really thought Luke was the future which is pretty bad too.
I think you need to look at a coach's public statements through a lens of "I don't have to tell you anything, and when I do tell you something it might not be just for you, or you at all".

Solich would speak about developing RB's when he was associate head coach, and then again as head coach would talk about developing players. I think he did that as encouragement / warning that they needed to keep working and work harder.

I can't remember an instance of Osborne talking about a developing player that didn't make it, but he was always in the players heads, motivating them.

You could argue that Scott doesn't do that because he is a complete straight shooter, but I think he's a little more clever than that.

Sorry, didn't mean to write so much. TL : DR -- coaches' statements are not necessarily reflective of their current evaluation of the program, opponent or player.

Gotcha, as long as details are not discussed it's OK to generally discuss moderation in the open forums. :thumbsup:

Getting back to the topic...it sorta appears that LM may be a bit flakey, having visions of himself doing certain things, things that may not be his best attributes. Frost, IMO, and that of others played into that to a certain degree, and it didn't work out.

I don't see anything that vindicates Frost for that.
Why does he need to be vindicated? He did all he could for LM except let him puke all over the field for the rest of the season.

LM leaving was before or after he'd been told no outside coaching?
It was after.
Did LM run into the same thing at Louisville?
Theres a lot of things we dont know, and some that we do.

I never saw the skill set or real sign of grasping the offense from LM. I was shocked when SF came out with this and just as shocked when he pulled Martinez and started Luke against Penn State and Illinois. There was a few of us that could see even after the Penn State win that this kid was a good runner but wasn't going to ever be a Power 5 quarterback. That was a lonely island at the time that suddenly after his departure became alot more popular.
Bumps up against an observation /question about letting the fans determine your starter...and a few other things too.

While Martinez did not set the world on fire, not all of that can can be blamed on him. There was/is a whole lot more that was 'wrong' and going 'wrong' than AM. It impacted him tho, and because he was the QB, it all came down on him...and then he got benched...because...?

Was it to get his head straight? Was it because LM was the better option? Was it because SF gave into the fan demands?

I can easily see an argument for 2 of those 3, but not one of them.

Why does he need to be vindicated? He did all he could for LM except let him puke all over the field for the rest of the season.
Who said he did? Someone declared him to be 'vindicated' others disagreed that he was 'vindicated'. One could question the definition of the term 'vindicated' as originally used, because it may not align with what is commonly understood to be vindication, or a need for it.

Tho I'd tend to disagree with your sentiment about doing all that he could.

Last edited:
Where?

I think WR really liked it here and liked Frost. I think he had peeps in his ear (same ones that got him to commit to Kentucky in the beginning, telling him that stuff here was on a rail to nowhere.

Washington...well duh.

Spielman...he was one of the other guy's guys. Who coincidently was relied upon by the new guy, while the new guy was telling everyone that the other guys weren't all that good and to wait until we get our guys.

LM giving him reason to think he was a quarterback, and giving into the idea of starting him in place of Martinez for starters.

Where?

I think WR really liked it here and liked Frost. I think he had peeps in his ear (same ones that got him to commit to Kentucky in the beginning, telling him that stuff here was on a rail to nowhere.

Washington...well duh.

Spielman...he was one of the other guy's guys. Who coincidently was relied upon by the new guy, while the new guy was telling everyone that the other guys weren't all that good and to wait until we get our guys.

LM giving him reason to think he was a quarterback, and giving into the idea of starting him in place of Martinez for starters.
I think you’re reading way to much into coach speak. Lots of coaches make comments that fan bases question. I don’t think he ever said all the players left from Riley suck. Ozigbo, Farmer, and Foster all excelled. I think Frost realizes that.

I think you’re reading way to much into coach speak. Lots of coaches make comments that fan bases question. I don’t think he ever said all the players left from Riley suck. Ozigbo, Farmer, and Foster all excelled. I think Frost realizes that.
I'm more concerned about the psyche of 18-22 year olds, and what hearing that message, repeatedly, can do to their level of buy-in.

I can't really see it as conducive to that, and I doubt anyone who has way more knowledge on those issues than I do would see it as being conducive to buying in.

Add to that the treatment some of Frost's guys received compared to the treatment the other guys received...well...WCPGW?

Not a really 'buy-in to the team' moments if you think about it.

Last edited:

And hey, let's face it, Frost came in as the guy who had all the success and bravado that everyone wanted. Had it gone anywhere remotely close to what everyone really wanted, no one cares about any of this or the feelz of the Reiley guys.

It didn't. Frost has to own part of that.

I'm more concerned about the psyche of 18-22 year olds, and what hearing that message, repeatedly, can do to their level of buy-in.

I can't really see it as conducive to that, and I doubt anyone who has way more knowledge on those issues than I do would see it as being conducive to buying in.

Add to that the treatment some of Frost's guys received compared to the treatment the other guys received...well...WCPGW?

Not a really 'buy-in to the team' moments if you think about it.
Definitely some things he said that I prefer he hadn’t. I’m chalking it up to being a young coach and misreading the locker room. I think he thought he could motivate them with some of those comments in the beginning. I did tire of hearing the same comments at the end of season two. We shouldn’t hear anything about the former staff moving forward.

And hey, let's face it, Frost came in as the guy who had all the success and bravado that everyone wanted. Had it gone anywhere remotely close to what everyone really wanted, no one cares about any of this or the feelz of the Reiley guys.

It didn't. Frost has to own part of that.
I think Frost would have benefited from a few more years coaching at UCF. Things happened and now he’s our coach. They need to show significant progress this season in my opinion. I’m confident they will.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back