• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Luke McCaffrey Leaves Louisville

Which again, does not make Scott look any better.
OK, if the only thing we are talking about in this thread is whether Scott Frost is somehow redeemed by Luke McCaffrey's actions, I guess you might be right?

Or, I could have been emphasizing that the son and younger brother of All-pro football players didn't want to compete for the position. You can do your homework on a player, check out his family, ask the lunch lady, and still be wrong. Does that mean you made a mistake? When it comes to teenagers, I think it's all guesswork.

Frost's players have transferred out of FAU, Louisville, and Oregon State this year alone. He's on the hot seat in at least 4 different schools!
You forgot Patrick O'Brien who transferred from Nebraska after talking to Frost, then started at CSU and transferred from there to Washington.

Here's the first article that popped up on the issue:

I suppose the quote could be parsed and re-parsed, but the implication on it's surface is both that LM was the future at quarterback (no mention of competition or position change) and Frost publicly intimated that he saw similarities between his circumstances and LM's.

Not seeing a lot of vindication myself here. Seeing mistakes, several actually. Roster management, messaging, declarations, etc. have IMO been the biggest mistakes/missteps/miscalculations that Frost has made since his arrival.
I never saw the skill set or real sign of grasping the offense from LM. I was shocked when SF came out with this and just as shocked when he pulled Martinez and started Luke against Penn State and Illinois. There was a few of us that could see even after the Penn State win that this kid was a good runner but wasn't going to ever be a Power 5 quarterback. That was a lonely island at the time that suddenly after his departure became alot more popular.

Wow. Maybe there was more to the story when he was here. Probably best we parted ways when we did.
Two or three players made some very questionable comments in pressers. Stuff concerning Adrian and Luke and how they played. Not the kind of thing that a player should ever say in public. It gave me a picture of some dissension in the locker room. Call it culture, maybe? Seemed like no coincidence when Luke and these other players all hit the portal. I can't help believing the culture is better now.

I don't blame him for 'all' of the turn over. He, IMO, certainly blundered and made several missteps tho...specifically related to the roster. Really hard to justify the statements he made about what he inherited, and then turn around and have to rely on what he inherited, without significant progress in those he recruited. Sorta hard to 'get behind' a coach's philosophy/culture when he says you ain't good enough...
Spot on.

20/20 hindsight is a real thing.

It's also easier to find fault in coaches than be a coach.

Seems like LM's departure worked out for Nebraska after all.

I think declaring that LM couldn't play QB based on a few games as a Freshman is a pretty high standard. Not many freshman QB's could have made this offense productive over the last few years. Frankly, i'm not sure Tom Brady could have done it.
How did the offense look under Martinez his freshman year?

Luke just thinks more highly of himself that others do, and that's okay. He may never be a QB but if his ego doesn't get in the way, he could be a good player at some other position.
Brings back memories of Eric Crouch and his flirtations with the NFL. Two very similar guys that had delusions about their ability to play the position. Funny thing is I think LM could have done very similar things that Crouch and Even Frost did during their career but it was a different offense and the other two had a substantially better supporting cast.

Brings back memories of Eric Crouch and his flirtations with the NFL. Two very similar guys that had delusions about their ability to play the position. Funny thing is I think LM could have done very similar things that Crouch and Even Frost did during their career but it was a different offense and the other two had a substantially better supporting cast.
Frost was a bit bigger and not quite as quick and shifty. Crouch is a really good comparison as both are really fast. He would have done very well in that offense.

Did not expect Luke to transfer so soon. I guess this does shed some light on why he transferred from Nebraska.

I remember Scott’s comments on Luke back in December kinda bothering me. A lot of posters were saying that Luke’s departure was no big loss(agree) but not casting a skeptical eye on Scott’s strange comment that Luke was somehow the future. Like Scott was either BSing or he really thought Luke was the future which is pretty bad too.

I hope Luke finds his way, I dont blame him for transferring from NU, he wasnt gonna start in 21, and maybe not in 22. Hes a good kid, with great work ethic, he needs to find a fit, so he can get reps and gametime snaps, at whatever level he can get em. He wasnt gonna get em here. Good Luck to the young man.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back