• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Luke McCaffery Transferring

Not that i'm aware of. I even put in there that I think he would have landed on moving to the slot WR spot on his own, but we have to give him a fair shot at the starting QB role.

So what would a fair shot look like given some of his noticeable limitations (accuracy + arm strength)? Just a season or two with a legitimate chance to compete? (Isn’t that what’s been happening?)

So let me see if I've got this straight.
The kid is a redshirt freshman and he's leaving because he hasn't yet been given a "fair shot" at being the starter...even though he managed just one TD versus six INTs in two starts this year.

This is where I’m at. You’ve got great athleticism, but you’re not very dangerous (yet) with your arm. How much of a chance are you expecting to get?

So what would a fair shot look like given some of his noticeable limitations (accuracy + arm strength)? Just a season or two with a legitimate chance to compete? (Isn’t that what’s been happening?)
I think inserting him for a couple games in the middle of a season where he was the clear #2 all through spring, summer, and fall camp didn't feel like a "fair shot". But I agree he would definitely have needed to step up his play. He was just early being thrown into the starting role. Probably thought he would be further along, but that's my speculation.

When the guy you come in with that is supposed to be your main target takes off... it probably plays some mind games on you too.

This whole situation is why you hire a proven, experienced, successful head coach willing to surround himself with the best assistant coaches possible.

Well... yeah... I mean the whole world thought we made a good hire in SF so we can be forgiven. And still might be true even if things are looking pretty bleak at the moment. But yeah I’m on board for the next guy not being weirdly committed to his mediocre G5 staff.

Last edited:
Why can’t we have it both ways? Why can’t Luke continue as QB2 and have several plays designed for him as a slot back? We used him a bit like that versus OSU. Why can’t he do that going into the fall of ‘21?

Who says they won't have a package for him?

Who says they won't have a package for him?
Agreed. I think they will. Or they should. So many people here talking as if it’s either/or but I think it’s both. If he wants to stay and compete for the QB job, let him. It doesn’t hurt to have him as a backup and although most of us think he’s never going to be a high level QB, he may prove is wrong over time. In the meantime, have a package of plays for him to help the team and to give him some game day action. Hell, let him run some wildcat at times and save AM’s body a bit. Win-win.

The only thing I wouldn’t tolerate is if he’s not all N. If he doesn’t like his role on the team and he’s not going to be a team player, then he needs to go elsewhere. There’s no room for that in the program. We’ve already tried accommodating other players and we know how that turns out. This is the Husker football team, not the McCaffrey football team. I want him here, but he’s got to be all N.

Last edited:
The only thing I wouldn’t tolerate is if he’s not all N. If he doesn’t like his role on the team and he’s not going to be a team player, then he needs to go elsewhere. There’s no room for that in the program. We’ve already tried accommodating other players and we know how that turns out. This is the Husker football team, not the McCaffrey football team. I want him here, but he’s got to be all N.
I get what you are saying and agree, but I am All 'N'. Maybe, he could be Mac N. No, that's too easy to put Cheese behind it. Whatever...

Last edited:

Agreed. I think they will. Or they should. So many people here talking as if it’s either/or but I think it’s both. If he wants to stay and compete for the QB job, let him. It doesn’t hurt to have him as a backup and although most of us think he’s never going to be a high level QB, he may prove is wrong over time. In the meantime, have a package of plays for him to help the team and to give him some game day action. Hell, let him run some wildcat at times and save AM’s body a bit. Win-win.

Yes. He could be our skinny Taysom Hill.

Yes. He could be our skinny Taysom Hill.
I’d take a skinny Taysom Hill! :)

But truly, Luke put on some good weight last offseason and was just over 200lbs. That’s the size of an average RB. I expect he’ll add more good weight this offseason if he’s participating in the program, while maintaining his speed and athleticism. I can envision Luke and Stepp in the backfield together, fake the inside zone to Stepp and use him as a blocker for McCaffrey to outnumber the defenders. Simple and effective way to pick up yards and possibly spring a long one. His skill set is a little different than Martinez. I hope he stays and we give him a chance to be a utility weapon.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back