• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Luke McCaffery Transferring

Any new information on LM? Do you feel like he is staying? What's your gut or sources telling you is his reason for exploring the portal?
He's gone. I think he would have been ok if he stayed as the backup, but how we played the Northwestern game effectively "started the transition" then it 180'd after Illinois. I actually exchanged texts after the Purdue game, and I can tell you the staff is kicking themselves a bit for listening to the outside noise. But they also understand they made their bed a bit against Northwestern. Took to long to get LM in, once he was in he was the warm QB and he was who they stuck with in a one score game to go tie it. They had to start LM against Penn State after that. But I think we all know that Martinez or LM is beating Penn State when we played them.

You also remember I was very aggressive in telling people you don't take a transfer QB in the portal in an effort to not disrupt the QB room as I knew stuff was going on there. Now that LM is leaving, you take a hard look at how spring shakes out for other schools and JUCO that is playing in the spring. Can't just have Smothers. So you take Dickerson as spot 24, and a transfer QB as your 25.

Last edited:

He's gone. I think he would have been ok if he stayed as the backup, but how we played the Northwestern game effectively "started the transition" then it 180'd after Illinois. I actually exchanged texts after the Purdue game, and I can tell you the staff is kicking themselves a bit for listening to the outside noise. But they also understand they made their bed a bit against Northwestern. Took to long to get LM in, once he was in he was the warm QB and he was who they stuck with in a one score game to go tie it. They had to start LM against Penn State after that. But I think we all know that Martinez or LM is beating Penn State when we played them.

You also remember I was very aggressive in telling people you don't take a transfer QB in the portal in an effort to not disrupt the QB room as I knew stuff was going on there. Now that LM is leaving, you take a hard look at how spring shakes out for other schools and JUCO that is playing in the spring. Can't just have Smothers. So you take Dickerson as spot 24, and a transfer QB as your 25.
As a quarterback he's not a big loss. As a competitor and possible slot guy I think we are losing a gamer.

As a quarterback he's not a big loss. As a competitor and possible slot guy I think we are losing a gamer.
As I was telling people all season, the kid just wasn't quite ready yet. But I think the staff was hosed either way. They told LM he would have a series or two in Northwestern, he didn't get in until the 4th, was in during the comeback attempt. So now the staff starts LM because everyone says he did great and should have been starting the whole game, but if the staff starts Martinez people ask why they left LM in at the end of the Northwestern game.

Just my opinion, I think LM would have landed on needing to move to the slot position on his own. But he wanted a seasons chance to be QB.

The good news is it appears he is taking his time trying to find somewhere else so we have til May to convince him to stay. But just like with JD, if a kid is choosing to opt out of a semester of training.... writing is kind of on the wall.

As I was telling people all season, the kid just wasn't quite ready yet. But I think the staff was hosed either way. They told LM he would have a series or two in Northwestern, he didn't get in until the 4th, was in during the comeback attempt. So now the staff starts LM because everyone says he did great and should have been starting the whole game, but if the staff starts Martinez people ask why they left LM in at the end of the Northwestern game.

Just my opinion, I think LM would have landed on needing to move to the slot position on his own. But he wanted a seasons chance to be QB.

The good news is it appears he is taking his time trying to find somewhere else so we have til May to convince him to stay. But just like with JD, if a kid is choosing to opt out of a semester of training.... writing is kind of on the wall.
I should probably take back my comment regarding QB. When and if something happens to AM next year, the next guy up is now a total unknown. I've heard not so raving reviews about Smothers and I guess the next guy up if Smothers isn't the guy would be a true freshman in Haarberg. LM was capable to at least come in a game and move the chains but you can't maximize his potential if he is shuffling between QB and receiver. Assuming he is out I think you have to look at the portal for a 2-3 year QB. I don't think you are getting anyone with a year left and the incumbent starter back.

I wish LM well. Seems like a nice kid.
And I understand that the portal flows both ways.
However, I just can't get past how this kid could be heralded as a "leader" and an "alpha dog" for his recruiting class and for the program in general...and then he just leaves and quits on everyone.
So which is it? Are you a leader only when times are good or, as soon as you hit some frustration, you hit the road and seemingly display for all your teammates that it was never really about anyone but yourself?

I should probably take back my comment regarding QB. When and if something happens to AM next year, the next guy up is now a total unknown. I've heard not so raving reviews about Smothers and I guess the next guy up if Smothers isn't the guy would be a true freshman in Haarberg. LM was capable to at least come in a game and move the chains but you can't maximize his potential if he is shuffling between QB and receiver. Assuming he is out I think you have to look at the portal for a 2-3 year QB. I don't think you are getting anyone with a year left and the incumbent starter back.
Yeah, I personally think this is bad news, depth just got super thin. I hope there's someway to add some serviceable depth.

I mean... I think we had a really good backup QB in McCaffrey. I think he could have turned into a pretty good QB if he developed a bit more.

We are dealing with 18-22 year olds, hopefully he has a change of heart and he stays.

***...seems that the coaches might be between a rock and a hard place. They have to assume that he might transfer, which means that they must actively look to the portal/JC for a replacement. But by looking, they make it easier for LM to transfer.

I just hope that Dylan hangs a bit in the portal, if he places somewhere competitive and quickly it will paint the picture a bit too rosey for Luke.

***...seems that the coaches might be between a rock and a hard place. They have to assume that he might transfer, which means that they must actively look to the portal/JC for a replacement. But by looking, they make it easier for LM to transfer.
He basically told them he was gone (thus all the smoke) but Frost has had multiple meetings so it makes me think that he was at least getting some traction with them. But him deciding to not be here for spring semester and do everything remote is pretty much the writing on the wall. Smothers goes to getting second team reps.

I'm sure Frost did this, but if you opt out of winter conditioning we are of the opinion you won't be here for the 2021 season.

He basically told them he was gone (thus all the smoke) but Frost has had multiple meetings so it makes me think that he was at least getting some traction with them. But him deciding to not be here for spring semester and do everything remote is pretty much the writing on the wall. Smothers goes to getting second team reps.

I'm sure Frost did this, but if you opt out of winter conditioning we are of the opinion you won't be here for the 2021 season.

So what's your take on Smothers? The post a few back was the first I've read that he wasn't getting raving reviews so to speak? Is he also a real project at this point? If so, and we lose LM, it's gonna be a rough year unless AM figures shite out quick.

If he opts out of winter conditioning and we let him come back a la Mo Wash, aren't we just enabling this preferential treatment issue that has plagued Frost since he got here?

If this is going to happen I say go out and get Jace Ruder. He has a couple of years left and he's from Kansas so closer to home than UNC! Make it happen!

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back