• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Luke McCaffery Transferring

Maybe Martinez is just banged up alot and injury prone. Wasn't it made public his sophomore season he was injuried quite alot. People like to forget that but I guess a player getting injuries is the coaches fault to some.
What does it really matter what the reason is for AM's issues except he's had them. Playing chronically injured players seldom ends well imo. We saw what happened with TMart being played with a bad ankle/foot whatever. I'd rather take our chances with a healthy QB then one that's injured and simply can't get it done. AM needs to come out of the gate next fall at 100%. Needs show immediately he's capable of leading the offense to score decent amount of points and get it done. We're going to probably have a defense that can keep us in most games but it's past time for the offense to step up and do their part.

Last edited:
Devil's advocate for you (and i'm not a Verdu fan so i'm just "typing out loud")....

That is what we teach. How to throw on the run. We spend more time on that than setting up in the pocket. We don't let our guys work with QB coaches in the offseason. The throw you are referencing is what allowed us to get guys like McCaffrey and Smothers here. Unreal athletic QBs that we were going to be moving around and they wouldn't have to set their feet to throw and change their motion. We would teach them to anatomically throw correctly while they were using their athleticism.

Just a little bit of the "why" for you. But I get your point for future recruits.
This explains a lot but also raises questions. If AM had completed the pass then the lack of proper foot placement is a moot point and no one is talking about it, as it stands he missed so it's on AM. Now, did he miss because he's been receiving poor instructions from the Professor or is he just regressing. The whole concept of moving the pocket and throwing on the run is really hard to defend... until you don't have to fear the accuracy of the QB.

What does it really matter what the reason is for AM's issues except he's had them. Playing chronically injured players seldom ends well imo. We saw what happened with TMart being played with a bad ankle/foot whatever. I'd rather take our chances with a healthy QB then one that's injured and simply can't get it done. AM needs to come out of the gate next fall at 100%. Needs show immediately he's capable of leading the offense to score decent amount of points and get it done. We're going to probably have a defense that can keep us in most games but it's past time for the offense to step up and do their part.
It doesn’t matter. It’s a results business, and if you can’t produce, for whatever reason, have to move on.

Dylan McCaffrey is in portal now! Any interest on our part?
i've shared that speculation on other posts and think the idea makes sense. Not sure what gig he'll end up in. I'm thinking if he was going somewhere he would have done so? Maybe, he's waiting til the coaching changes are done, but think he'd want to make it to the new school in spring.
I wonder if he is still working out for the Blue though.

i've shared that speculation on other posts and think the idea makes sense. Not sure what gig he'll end up in. I'm thinking if he was going somewhere he would have done so? Maybe, he's waiting til the coaching changes are done, but think he'd want to make it to the new school in spring.
I wonder if he is still working out for the Blue though.
Looking at his very skinny stats I'd bet his chance of starting over AM is just about zero. He would be completely unfamiliar with Frost's offense while AM is going on his 4th season. He's timed at 4.85 40 which isn't very helpful when we run our QB so much imo. Bottom line if he wants to move into a starting job better look elsewhere then Nebraska.

Looking at his very skinny stats I'd bet his chance of starting over AM is just about zero. He would be completely unfamiliar with Frost's offense while AM is going on his 4th season. He's timed at 4.85 40 which isn't very helpful when we run our QB so much imo. Bottom line if he wants to move into a starting job better look elsewhere then Nebraska.
Dylan is definitely quicker than that old 40 time...but I agree he isn't coming here either for a lot of reasons.

This explains a lot but also raises questions. If AM had completed the pass then the lack of proper foot placement is a moot point and no one is talking about it, as it stands he missed so it's on AM. Now, did he miss because he's been receiving poor instructions from the Professor or is he just regressing. The whole concept of moving the pocket and throwing on the run is really hard to defend... until you don't have to fear the accuracy of the QB.
I'm actually shocked with how we coach, that we don't do more rollouts or moving of the pocket. But to your point, we weren't the most accurate anyway so moot point.

That is what we teach. How to throw on the run. We spend more time on that than setting up in the pocket. We don't let our guys work with QB coaches in the offseason. The throw you are referencing is what allowed us to get guys like McCaffrey and Smothers here. Unreal athletic QBs that we were going to be moving around and they wouldn't have to set their feet to throw and change their motion. We would teach them to anatomically throw correctly while they were using their athleticism.
I'm actually shocked with how we coach, that we don't do more rollouts or moving of the pocket. But to your point, we weren't the most accurate anyway so moot point.
When I read your 1st quote yesterday, I had a similar thought to your second post but purely going off "feel" for how much our QBs throw from the pocket (more) vs designed rollouts or moving the pocket (less).
So we recruit and coach for athletic QBs to throw on the run, yet most of the time they are throwing from the pocket. Are the coaches using the same logic there they did at Rutgers- just kick to the ball to Cruickshank in order to keep Rutgers up-back from throwing it to him??

Thanks and I understand that may be helpful when you need to throw while running...but when the announcers on TV are commenting on the poor fundamentals on what should have been an easy completion has to give a pause to any recruit/parent watching this display of bad balance and inaccurate throw. It was not a good look for our QB guru IMO

but remember that Verduzco wrote a master's thesis on throwing mechanics, so it has to be right? I seriously wonder how many great QB coaches actually wrote a master's thesis on throwing mechanics? Maybe they wrote a book?

I'll compare throwing mechanics to the golf swing. About 20 years ago (historically I've been a 3-7 handicap), I got the shanks/hosel rockets (if you're a golfer you know what that is). I went to a very accomplished golf pro who has written at least 2 books that I know about and has several PGA clients. He is a great teaching pro BTW. I had an hour lesson, which included watching film of my swing and comparing it to other pros, etc. He knew what my problem was, but just couldn't get me to stop shanking and the hour was up.

I told my boss(a scratch player) at work about my swing issues and he referred me to another pro(very old school). I went to the other pro who did not film me, and kept watching me swing and would say: "can you do this?", I would do it, still a shank, then he'd say, can you do this? I'd try to do it, still a shank, after an hour, I thought my lesson was over and he said: "I can't leave you until we fix it". 90 minutes later, I wasn't shanking anymore. The moral of the story is that some of the best coaches can just watch you without getting over technical and fix what you're doing wrong.

I think most reasonable people would agree that under Verduzco at Nebraska, we haven't seen much if any improvement in our QB's from a throwing perspective. I think he must make it more complicated than it needs to be and although his thesis may be technically correct, if it can't be articulated to our QB's what use is it? I think he gets another year and just like the pilot flying any flight I'm on, I'm cheering for the pilot. So I'll be pulling for Verduzco if he stays and hope maybe some of what he is teaching sticks with our current QB's. I'm very curious to see what happens this spring and hopefully at least we'll have a spring game we can watch if only on TV. At this point, I'd be surprised if AM is not the starter next fall and I hope either LM improves and stays or switches to a WR and stays. I think LM is a good egg, but may be out of position. Time will tell as he is still young.

but remember that Verduzco wrote a master's thesis on throwing mechanics, so it has to be right? I seriously wonder how many great QB coaches actually wrote a master's thesis on throwing mechanics? Maybe they wrote a book?

I'll compare throwing mechanics to the golf swing. About 20 years ago (historically I've been a 3-7 handicap), I got the shanks/hosel rockets (if you're a golfer you know what that is). I went to a very accomplished golf pro who has written at least 2 books that I know about and has several PGA clients. He is a great teaching pro BTW. I had an hour lesson, which included watching film of my swing and comparing it to other pros, etc. He knew what my problem was, but just couldn't get me to stop shanking and the hour was up.

I told my boss(a scratch player) at work about my swing issues and he referred me to another pro(very old school). I went to the other pro who did not film me, and kept watching me swing and would say: "can you do this?", I would do it, still a shank, then he'd say, can you do this? I'd try to do it, still a shank, after an hour, I thought my lesson was over and he said: "I can't leave you until we fix it". 90 minutes later, I wasn't shanking anymore. The moral of the story is that some of the best coaches can just watch you without getting over technical and fix what you're doing wrong.

I think most reasonable people would agree that under Verduzco at Nebraska, we haven't seen much if any improvement in our QB's from a throwing perspective. I think he must make it more complicated than it needs to be and although his thesis may be technically correct, if it can't be articulated to our QB's what use is it? I think he gets another year and just like the pilot flying any flight I'm on, I'm cheering for the pilot. So I'll be pulling for Verduzco if he stays and hope maybe some of what he is teaching sticks with our current QB's. I'm very curious to see what happens this spring and hopefully at least we'll have a spring game we can watch if only on TV. At this point, I'd be surprised if AM is not the starter next fall and I hope either LM improves and stays or switches to a WR and stays. I think LM is a good egg, but may be out of position. Time will tell as he is still young.
Guessing you went to James Sieckmann?

When I read your 1st quote yesterday, I had a similar thought to your second post but purely going off "feel" for how much our QBs throw from the pocket (more) vs designed rollouts or moving the pocket (less).
So we recruit and coach for athletic QBs to throw on the run, yet most of the time they are throwing from the pocket. Are the coaches using the same logic there they did at Rutgers- just kick to the ball to Cruickshank in order to keep Rutgers up-back from throwing it to him??
I haven't seen the numbers, it just feels like we are more from the pocket than outside of it, but maybe that's just my perception. I know when everyone was calling for Luke to be our starter after his 2019 season, he had completed less than 2 passes from in the pocket (not counting jet sweeps).

I haven't seen the numbers, it just feels like we are more from the pocket than outside of it, but maybe that's just my perception. I know when everyone was calling for Luke to be our starter after his 2019 season, he had completed less than 2 passes from in the pocket (not counting jet sweeps).
Any new information on LM? Do you feel like he is staying? What's your gut or sources telling you is his reason for exploring the portal?

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back