• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Lue expresses interest in Husker job...

Correct me if I am wrong but didn't Hoiberg and Co play the transfer game before it was a hugely popular thing to do so?

Now all schools play that game outside of the elites so I doubt it will be just as easy to use exactly the same script to get things done in a hurry.
Certainly something to keep an eye on. I don't think you are off base there. For me though, Hoiberg did that and was successful. Miles had to learn to do it in a Power 5 conference and couldn't get the guys to play together, but I don't think there's any arguing we got the talent to come here. Speculating, but Hoiberg seems to be someone that can get better transfers, better at getting them to play together, more consistent with his records, and with his offensive mind I won't have to watch one guy dribble while the other 4 stand around and watch him anymore so i'm on board. Hoiberg has at least done it at this level unlike Miles (or Riley if you want to go there).

Last edited:

Correct me if I am wrong but didn't Hoiberg and Co play the transfer game before it was a hugely popular thing to do so?

Now all schools play that game outside of the elites so I doubt it will be just as easy to use exactly the same script to get things done in a hurry.
Yes, and he was noted for being able to do so well in the transfer market. He was kind of a blueprint of what Miles was attempting to do to Nebraska's roster.

I understand the desire to have a 1-2 year rebuild instead of 3-4 year rebuild. I really want a program though. Miles built for the immediate payoff, and never got over that. I think he was a little baffled that he had guys that weren't fully engaged - because he's had to work like a demon at every level. When he burned through to the walk-ons, everything went better because the level of effort needed to run the pack-line defense was there fully, and players were paying attention to whatever they hell they were supposed to be doing on offense.

Summary - please build the foundation for a successful program and if it takes another year I'm okay with it.

I understand the concern of creating some flash in the pan relying solely on mercenaries. I don't recall Hoiberg's teams having that quality. Teams need role players, they need guys who can come off the bench and contribute more than just an occasional hustle play. Miles issues with guys not being engaged is not limited to the transfers. Roby and Watson would disappear, and they have been around their entire careers. It's a culture thing, not a need to be there from day one. I absolutely believe if Fred becomes coach, he will not ignore the local talent, or that in the 500 mile radius. Of course transfers will be a part of his plan, but its how he uses them that will make this an entirely different program than we've seen the last 7 years.

I understand the concern of creating some flash in the pan relying solely on mercenaries. I don't recall Hoiberg's teams having that quality. Teams need role players, they need guys who can come off the bench and contribute more than just an occasional hustle play. Miles issues with guys not being engaged is not limited to the transfers. Roby and Watson would disappear, and they have been around their entire careers. It's a culture thing, not a need to be there from day one. I absolutely believe if Fred becomes coach, he will not ignore the local talent, or that in the 500 mile radius. Of course transfers will be a part of his plan, but its how he uses them that will make this an entirely different program than we've seen the last 7 years.
Ill word this the way I know deep inside that you want to word this.........and Ill agree

the problem wasnt that we had too many transfers, the problem was that the transfers that we did have, werent coached well:)

Any idea of how long we wait to hear who is the guy? Lue just isn't a proven HC in my mind. He had LJ in Cleveland. He never had a midwest school in college. It feels like a Bill Callhan hire and I would prefer to remember him as a great player rather than a coach failure.

Frost was proven everywhere in college. That was easy. Hoiberg all day every day.

Any idea of how long we wait to hear who is the guy? Lue just isn't a proven HC in my mind. He had LJ in Cleveland. He never had a midwest school in college. It feels like a Bill Callhan hire and I would prefer to remember him as a great player rather than a coach failure.

Frost was proven everywhere in college. That was easy. Hoiberg all day every day.
I’m still thinking next Friday heading into the final Four

I am biased from this perspective but TJ Otzelberger was an assistant under McDermott at ISU. He was retained by Hoiberg. OTZ was recruiting kids to ISU under McDermott who didn’t quite fit McDermot’s style. These kids were athletic transfers such as Mike Taylor, Craig Brackins, Diante Garrett, Scott Christopherson, Chris Babb, Chris Allen, Will Clyburn, Korie Lucious, Melvin Ejim, Georges Niang, Naz Long, and Matt Thomas. Some NBA talent but a lot of highly athletic kids who didn’t quite make it at Michigan State, Marquette and Wisconsin.

Hoiberg took that talent on hand and made it successful and turned OTZ lose to acquire more of that talent.

Short answer to your question was the transfer game started with Otzelberger prior to a Hoiberg but was mastered by Hoiberg.

If I were Hoiberg, I’d have no problem bringing in the 3 best transfers I can find and let them sit a year.

Roby, Allen, Burke, and Heimann are the only players I’d recruit back. Getting Burke to stay around is huge, kid is a gamer.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2019-03-30-06-40-38.png
    Screenshot_2019-03-30-06-40-38.png
    630.6 KB · Views: 67
Good point. I would hate the idea that my future job performance and job security is essentially weighed heavily by my ability to pander to teenagers.

And any portion of that relying on my non existing social media skills. It's taken me five plus years to figure this place out and most of the folks on here are technically grown ups. I'd just embarrass myself trying to interact with a 18 year old on social media.

And any portion of that relying on my non existing social media skills. It's taken me five plus years to figure this place out and most of the folks on here are technically grown ups. I'd just embarrass myself trying to interact with a 18 year old on social media.

So here doesn’t count as embarrassing for you?!?!?

;)

Last edited:

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back