• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Lubick vs. Diaco? Sip.

Stuck in the South

Red Shirt
2 Year Member

Sorry, I don't live within Husker radio range to hear what Sip writes about , but at no time did I feel there was any similarity between the two hires. So tell me Nebraskans if that is true about the complaints.

Sorry, I don't live within Husker radio range to hear what Sip writes about , but at no time did I feel there was any similarity between the two hires. So tell me Nebraskans if that is true about the complaints.

Its true.

We've been complaining about Sipple for some time.

A lot of words in the article saying nothing. How silly. For the record not a lot of people asking Scott to go a completely different direction. Most fans see the need for a tweak on offense, not an overhaul. This hire is a tweak. Diaco hire was an overhaul.

A lot of words in the article saying nothing. How silly. For the record not a lot of people asking Scott to go a completely different direction. Most fans see the need for a tweak on offense, not an overhaul. This hire is a tweak. Diaco hire was an overhaul.

Exactly. No idea what this was supposed to mean from Sip. Click bait is useful, I guess. like you said, this is a tweak to find the best guy to implement what Frost wants to be done on offense. We hired a top notch offensive mind as our Head Coach, we don't want to turn him into a CEO style coach and change direction because we were inconsistent in year 2.

I look at that Wiscy game as an example of what this offense can do to even very good defenses, and even better than that as they work out the inconsistency in the red zone. That's what Lubick's here to do

I read the article and I didn’t come away with the impression that he thought both hires were similar. I thought he was saying that fans are skeptical of Lubick because they got burned by Diaco. He’s only half right. I’m skeptical about Lubick but not because of The Diaco Fiasco. I’m skeptical because I don’t think Lubick will be 100% committed to the grind of Nebraska Football. He already quit once to spend more time with family. And he doesn’t plan to sell his home in Colorado. He said he took this job partly because it’s close to the place he really loves and he can get back there to visit frequently. Sounds like a guy who’s just working here as a temp while waiting for the right job to open in Colorado if you ask me.

I am cautiously optimistic about this hire, of course I would have been cautiously optimistic even if he hired Jesus Christ. Whomever was hired to me is irrelevant. How they do their job will be telling, so sit back and enjoy the ride and lets talk in December.

I read the article and I didn’t come away with the impression that he thought both hires were similar. I thought he was saying that fans are skeptical of Lubick because they got burned by Diaco. He’s only half right. I’m skeptical about Lubick but not because of The Diaco Fiasco. I’m skeptical because I don’t think Lubick will be 100% committed to the grind of Nebraska Football. He already quit once to spend more time with family. And he doesn’t plan to sell his home in Colorado. He said he took this job partly because it’s close to the place he really loves and he can get back there to visit frequently. Sounds like a guy who’s just working here as a temp while waiting for the right job to open in Colorado if you ask me.

This sums up what I was thinking, too. Lubick's quote about wanting to get back home frequently caught my ear as iffy. The man can live his life however he chooses, but is that the outlook Nebraska wants from its OC? "Buy in" is such a big buzz word right now, so is the coach who wants to get back to Colorado as often as he can "bought in"? Obviously, I have no idea and I'm not saying Lubick isn't 100% committed to doing his very best, but I think it's cause for some legitimate skepticism.

My read is much of the fan response has been tepid. Although the hire makes sense on several levels, it seems plenty of Husker fans and media are quick to poke holes in it, as opposed to embracing it with the intensity that they embraced Bob Diaco's hire as defensive coordinator following the 2016 season.

I don't know that anyone "intensely" embraced Diaco's hire as much as they were glad to see Banker go. Frankly, there was more "intensity" around Frosts's hire, and that hasn't panned out yet. That may be more a source of skepticism than the Diaco fiasco.

Sipp's comparison is like chalk and cheese... and is poorly spun in his article.

Media hype aside... Diaco was a "forced" change with little to no history between the head coach and the would-be coordinator. Lubbick was a choice made by HCSF with working history, and rapport already in place (a key point IMHO).

The only part of Sipp's spin that made some reasonable sense was that (currently), many Husker Fans are likely to have more of a "wait and see" or "prove it to me" mindset regarding media hyped changes.

Last edited:

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back