• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

LSU Still Looking for New DC

SWVAHusker

Starter
20 Year Member
LSU was expected to hire New Orleans Saints DL coach Ryan Nielson to replace Bo. Instead, Nielson's got a new contract and replaces Dan Campbell as the Saints assistant head coach.

LSU was expected to hire New Orleans Saints DL coach Ryan Nielson to replace Bo. Instead, Nielson's got a new contract and replaces Dan Campbell as the Saints assistant head coach.

If Bo had made it one more year, Aranda would have likely been available again.

Well, LSU has shown they will fire a DC after one year, so hire someone and if you don't like him, fire him and hire Aranda if he gets canned. Seems like a win/win. Personally, I hope LSU falls flat but that is just me.

Well, LSU has shown they will fire a DC after one year, so hire someone and if you don't like him, fire him and hire Aranda if he gets canned. Seems like a win/win. Personally, I hope LSU falls flat but that is just me.

History has shown they're likely to regress. They're not the model of consistency if you look at LSU through the years.

It's odd since they're usually at least top twenty from a talent standpoint.

History has shown they're likely to regress. They're not the model of consistency if you look at LSU through the years.

It's odd since they're usually at least top twenty from a talent standpoint.
It really is a study in the idea of a system versus talent. Right now Alabama is a system like Wisconsin with talent like LSU. They have it both going in the right direction. When Saban is gone Alabama will slide back after a bit. Talent is great but it takes a system for the talent to buy into and be willing to follow. LSU goes in spurts because they can get talent that allows them to jump up every few years but can’t sustain the performance like Alabama.

It really is a study in the idea of a system versus talent. Right now Alabama is a system like Wisconsin with talent like LSU. They have it both going in the right direction. When Saban is gone Alabama will slide back after a bit. Talent is great but it takes a system for the talent to buy into and be willing to follow. LSU goes in spurts because they can get talent that allows them to jump up every few years but can’t sustain the performance like Alabama.
I think LSU caught lightening in a bottle when they hired a staff to match their talent. That passing game dude that left this year, matched with Burrow, just fit like a glove. I hope we don't see that again.

Baylor is kinda looking like a dumpster fire of late. In fairness, new coach, no spring ball, and bad results followed. Have to see if he can get it moving in year 2. He won’t have a Frost length leash, so he’d better get it figured out quickly.

Baylor is kinda looking like a dumpster fire of late. In fairness, new coach, no spring ball, and bad results followed. Have to see if he can get it moving in year 2. He won’t have a Frost length leash, so he’d better get it figured out quickly.

Not questioning your knowledge HiO, but I don't understand why Baylor wouldn't give Aranda a longer leash. Baylor has been really bad for years. It's where coaching careers like Kevin Steele's go to die. Baylor caught lightening in a bottle with Rhule and couldn't keep him. They're a mid-major program in a league that, at this point, would probably rather have SMU or maybe even Houston. Unless UT and TCU (and from a recruiting standpoint A&M too) all simultaneously get put on probation, Baylor's likely always going to have problems competing in that league.

Last edited:

He stepped into a bad situation for sure. You're 100% right on the leash. Baylor has another losing season this fall, Covid 20 or not, and Aranda will be back on the market.

He stepped into a bad situation for sure. You're 100% right on the leash. Baylor has another losing season this fall, Covid 20 or not, and Aranda will be back on the market.

Like I asked HiO, I don't understand why Aranda wouldn't get a longer leash. Before Briles, a year of Jim Grobe and then Matt Rhile, Baylor was a dumpster fire for years. Baylor being good is much more of an aberration than Baylor being really, really bad. Who's going to want that job if they fire Aranda?

Last edited:
Like I asked HiO, I don't understand why Aranda wouldn't get a longer leash. Before Briles, a year of Jim Grobe and then Matt Rhile, Baylor was a dumpster fire for years. Baylor being good is much more of an aberration than Baylor being really, really bad. Who's going to want that job if they fire Aranda?

Taeff had some good teams during his tenure, but the years between his involvement and Briles was pretty rough. Rhule's success showed many they can still win. They've got money. Someone will take it.

They're in an interesting spot though. Texas recruiting should make .500 football in the Big 12 a fairly reasonable task. If you could just post winning seasons with an occasionally run at the Conference championship, I think you'd be in good shape.

Not questioning your knowledge HiO, but I don't understand why Baylor wouldn't give Aranda a longer leash. Baylor has been really bad for years. It's where coaching careers like Kevin Steele's go to die. Baylor caught lightening in a bottle with Rhule and couldn't keep him. They're a mid-major program in a league that, at this point, would probably rather have SMU or maybe even Houston. Unless UT and TCU (and from a recruiting standpoint A&M too) all simultaneously get put on probation, Baylor's likely always going to have problems competing in that league.
Probably because they have had success under two different coaches.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back