• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Loyola Marymount v. NU

NU wins the challenge. NU wins the 4th set 27-25, and the 7-0 Huskers win the match 3-1 (31-33, 25-19, 25-20, and 27-25). We need to play much better next Wednesday, or Stanford will sweep us.

I'm thinking the same but somehow I feel that they play up or down to their competition. I expect to see better play vs Stanford.

I'm thinking the same but somehow I feel that they play up or down to their competition. I expect to see better play vs Stanford.

I think they'll play a lot better against Stanford, but I don't believe NU is ready to play well enough to beat them. Cook's teams usually improve over the course of the season, so by the end of the year, things will be rolling.

Was at the game.

This was the first time I thought Lexi started to approach her potential. Single-handedly willed us through large portions of the match. Schwarz doesn't move well normally, but she was really struggling today. I'm guessing she was a little under-the-weather from the looks of it. We need to get Stiv involved more offensively. She would have killed them time and time again on the slide had she had better sets.

#3 and #13, LMU's outside hitters......are really good. Cook would love to have them, though they aren't as much of a net presence defensively as ours. They have a couple outside hitters that jump like Jordan Larson used to.

Kubik will be a player for us. She's tentative hitting into the block right now at this level. She'll come around. It'll be interesting to see how much improved she is by the time the season is finishing up.

NU wins the challenge. NU wins the 4th set 27-25, and the 7-0 Huskers win the match 3-1 (31-33, 25-19, 25-20, and 27-25). We need to play much better next Wednesday, or Stanford will sweep us.
I didn't see any of today's game stats until now, but in all honesty, we just played 3 different teams in two days, including to matches in one day and went 3 - 0. Ya have to think our gals were a bit tired. I think Stanford better be prepared for a tough match against our Ladies. We just might do the sweeping, I have that feeling here. :Huskerflag:

Behind a career-high 23 kills from Lexi Sun, the No. 2 Nebraska volleyball team rallied from a 31-33 first-set defeat to beat Loyola Marymount in four sets (31-33, 25-19, 25-20, 27-25) on Saturday in front of a crowd of 8,037 at the Ameritas Players Challenge at the Devaney Center on Saturday.

Sun, who was named the tournament's MVP, added 14 digs to go with her 23 kills. She also had three blocks and served a pair of aces. Jazz Sweet tallied a season-high 14 kills on .387 hitting and had three blocks.

The Huskers (7-0) had a .256 to .221 hitting advantage, and NU had seven aces on the day, five more than LMU (4-5). Nebraska trailed by at least three points in all four sets, but the Huskers powered through to win the final three sets.

Nicklin Hames, also an all-tournament selection, had 51 assists and 17 digs, and Madi Kubik had 15 digs with eight kills. Libero Kenzie Knuckles had 13 digs.

The Huskers reached double-digit blocks for the second straight match, recording 11. Lauren Stivrins, the Huskers' third all-tournament team selection, had seven blocks and nine kills, hitting .316. Callie Schwarzenbach had four kills with a season-high seven kills.

Rose Booth had 20 kills and 11 digs for LMU. Savannah Slattery had 19 kills and 14 digs. Slattery was named to the all-tournament team.

I was at the LMU match too. Nebraska really struggled in serve receive and Hames was running all over the place to try to get up a reasonable set. It was astonishing how often Nebraska was out of system. If Nebraska serve receives like that on Wednesday...Stanford will run them out of the building.

LMU was much better at serve receive than Nebraska...they were in system way more often. LMU made it look way too easy to score too many times. They were not intimidated to play the Huskers and should be commended for a great match. Nebraska is very lucky the match didn’t go 5 sets. Nebraska probably needed a match like this to remind them how far they need to go.

Lexi Sun had her moments yesterday but the loss of Mickayla Foecke can’t be understated. Nebraska does not have a terminator on the team when they need a key kill. Sun did have a nice stretch late in the match but can be very inconsistent.

I will be at the match on Wednesday...driving up from KC area. Hoping for the best but really left wondering after that performance yesterday. The Devaney Crowd might have to will the Huskers to be even in the match because Stanford is a senior dominated team and will be coming in to make a statement...especially after losing to Minnesota yesterday 1-3. To keep this in perspective, playing Stanford now is the type of match to help the Huskers get ready for Big 10 play and tournament play later in the season.

Crossing fingers. :thumbsup:

Last edited:
I didn't see any of today's game stats until now, but in all honesty, we just played 3 different teams in two days, including to matches in one day and went 3 - 0. Ya have to think our gals were a bit tired. I think Stanford better be prepared for a tough match against our Ladies. We just might do the sweeping, I have that feeling here. :Huskerflag:

Stanford is more than ready to play the Huskers. They just beat #4 Penn State 3-1 on Friday and lost 1-3 to #8 Minnesota yesterday snapping their 37 match win streak. I don’t like that Nebraska might be going into the match #1 and as the favorite according to the rankings. We would be in much better position to win this match being the underdog. The Cardinal will be angry on Wednesday and Nebraska is still trying to find their groove. :thumbsup:

Last edited:
I was at the LMU match too. Nebraska really struggled in serve receive and Hames was running all over the place to try to get up a reasonable set. It was astonishing how often Nebraska was out of system. If Nebraska serve receives like that on Wednesday...Stanford will run them out of the building.

LMU was much better at serve receive than Nebraska...they were in system way more often. LMU made it look way too easy to score too many times. They were not intimidated to play the Huskers and should be commended for a great match. Nebraska is very lucky the match didn’t go 5 sets. Nebraska probably needed a match like this to remind them how far they need to go.

Lexi Sun had her moments yesterday but the loss of Mickayla Foecke can’t be understated. Nebraska does not have a terminator on the team when they need a key kill. Sun did have a nice stretch late in the match but can be very inconsistent.

I will be at the match on Wednesday...driving up from KC area. Hoping for the best but really left wondering after that performance yesterday. The Devaney Crowd might have to will the Huskers to be even in the match because Stanford is a senior dominated team and will be coming in to make a statement...especially after losing to Minnesota yesterday 1-3. To keep this in perspective, playing Stanford now is the type of match to help the Huskers get ready for Big 10 play and tournament play later in the season.

Crossing fingers. :thumbsup:
I didn't know that Stanford lost to Minnesota yesterday. I watched them against Penn St., and they looked very good. Looking forward to the match on Wednesday.

The match with Stanford might go 4, but the Huskers inconsistency this past weekend (I was there for all the matches) can not be corrected overnight. A comment could be made the ladies were looking ahead to Stanford, but that would be questionable to me. They're not a cohesive unit yet, yes yet, cuz they will get better during the season. I do have that much faith in Cook and his assistant coaches. I'll pick Stanford to win but I agree this match will be beneficial to the Huskers no matter the result.

Stanford is more than ready to play the Huskers. They just beat #4 Penn State 3-1 on Friday and lost 1-3 to #8 Minnesota yesterday snapping their 37 match win streak. I don’t like that Nebraska might be going into the match #1 and as the favorite according to the rankings. We would be in much better position to win this match being the underdog. The Cardinal will be angry on Wednesday and Nebraska is still trying to find their groove. :thumbsup:

NU with a slight edge in voting to take over first.

NU with a slight edge in voting to take over first.

Nebraska wasn’t number 1 when I made the post but was expected to become the top team. Even though Nebraska is #1...I would suggest they are the underdog given the reasons mentioned by RogelioVB. I am hoping Nebraska can take the match to 5. Stanford is loaded to say the least.

Nebraska wasn’t number 1 when I made the post but was expected to become the top team. Even though Nebraska is #1...I would suggest they are the underdog given the reasons mentioned by RogelioVB. I am hoping Nebraska can take the match to 5. Stanford is loaded to say the least.
Yep, just confirming what you thought might happen did happen.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back