• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Losing to OU by 7 is better than beating OU

NY Husker

Red Shirt
Maybe I'm over-thinking it, but hear me out.

If we beat OU yesterday, we mentally go to a place where we think we can beat anyone and we lax up and play relaxed football the rest of the way, having shot our wad against the #3 team.

Now, losing a close game, our guys are mad as hell and begin to realize they have the ability and talent to hang with anyone, and a fire burns inside them to go out and prove it in the coming weeks.

Conclusion: from a mental standpoint, this loss may have been better for this team than a win, going forward. Much the same the loss to Florida State was in the 94 Orange Bowl (93 season).

I could be wrong, but I think I'm right.

GBR.

If you're absolutely certain that loss isn't the difference between 6 wins and a bowl game, maybe you could make this case.

Regardless, the nice part is, we'll get to see next Saturday how well it translates.

If we carry over that level of play against Michigan State, there's no reason we shouldn't win. But if we lose, we'll have a big hole to overcome -- and I think the positive energy from the OU game will be meaningless. Lose to Sparty, ain't no one gonna be saying -- "but that OU game was a great moral victory that showed we've turned the corner." So we best just win in East Lansing.

If you're absolutely certain that loss isn't the difference between 6 wins and a bowl game, maybe you could make this case.

Regardless, the nice part is, we'll get to see next Saturday how well it translates.

If we carry over that level of play against Michigan State, there's no reason we shouldn't win. But if we lose, we'll have a big hole to overcome -- and I think the positive energy from the OU game will be meaningless. Lose to Sparty, ain't no one gonna be saying -- "but that OU game was a great moral victory that showed we've turned the corner." So we best just win in East Lansing.
Um, okay. Think you completely missed the point, but whatever. GBR

If a team is so mentally fragile that you need to convince them of why losing is actually better than winning—-you have a very, very big problem. I don’t think losing in any case is better than winning.

But we can hope that this loss teaches us something. I think beating OU on the 50th anniversary would have done wonders for the program and the fan psyche for sure.

If we beat OU yesterday, we mentally go to a place where we think we can beat anyone and we lax up and play relaxed football the rest of the way, having shot our wad against the #3 team.

Now, losing a close game, our guys are mad as hell and begin to realize they have the ability and talent to hang with anyone, and a fire burns inside them to go out and prove it in the coming weeks.

Conclusion: from a mental standpoint, this loss may have been better for this team than a win, going forward. Much the same the loss to Florida State was in the 94 Orange Bowl (93 season).

GBR.

giphy.gif

Cute. Have anything substantial to add to the idea or just silly memes?

The memes I post are always purposeful and with meaning so enough of that kind of talk.

I believe a win would have been much more meaningful than the loss. The win would have been a validation to the players for all of their efforts, a shot in the arm for the coaching staff, and recruiting would have been resuscitated.

I like the time/effort put into your message…we will have to wait until Saturday to see if your hypothesis is correct.

I was thinking this very same thing. I can also see why others think winning would of been better at any rate we lay an egg against Michigan state and it won’t mean anything other than we came close to beating a #3 team that also almost got beat by Tulsa.

GBR.

This is a rationalization of epic proportions, and also wrong. When a team is mired in a losing environment, actual wins that generate confidence matter way more than mental and moral victories.

Last edited:

GBR.
Dude, you've lost it!

No, I can somewhat see your rationale, but I don't know if there's a way to know the answer to that scenario. I guess that's why we argue about it on message boards.

Every game should be a teaching moment. We should have learned that we can play with anyone -- and also that we can lose to anyone if we keep shooting ourselves in the foot. I'm just as concerned about overconfidence following yesterday's result as I'd be if we had won. I'd rather have the win.

But I think, short of a win, the outcome yesterday was about the best possible in terms of affirming that the team is getting to where it needs to be, and that they can win every game if they play their best. We couldn't have said that on Saturday morning.

The memes I post are always purposeful and with meaning so enough of that kind of talk.

I believe a win would have been much more meaningful than the loss. The win would have been a validation to the players for all of their efforts, a shot in the arm for the coaching staff, and recruiting would have been resuscitated.

I like the time/effort put into your message…we will have to wait until Saturday to see if your hypothesis is correct.
I like the time and effort you put in to your gif :thumbsup:

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back