• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Losing QB's to the portal

You don’t have to be a fortune teller to know where he was on the depth chart before LM left. It’s safe to assume he is not ready to take over if needed, since the guy he was behind was also not ready to take over.

It’s possible he will make amazing leaps in spring ball I suppose, but I would not hold my breath on him being ready to run the show in September.
Lets not discount our run game and improved d here, both a qbs best friend,especially a young inexperienced one.
We need more depth at qb, but whoevers takings snaps can ride a decent run game, and know your D will get the ball back.
Theres a lot laid at the foot of our qbs, because of us being overall weaker as a team.
Some of those weaknesses will be stronger, and what we perceived before as to what itll take by our qbs may hopefully have changed some

Last edited:

My god man, do you know what the experience level is behind Martinez? its a fat ZERO. If he goes down with a cramp we are screwed. Even if Frost did not want this guy, he still needs someone to back up AM2 If you look at what happened when AM2 went down in the Colorado game you can sort of get the idea. We had no one. What happens if AM goes down in training camp? Maybe LS can do the job but its a risk. For a 4th year coach who has not had one single .500 season its a huge risk.
great post but per bolded, Frost (and A LOT of college coaches) are caught in a paradox: Bring in a transfer QB or recruit too many HS QB's, lose your young QB's to the portal....don't have enough QB's (purposely to keep your young QB's) you play an inexperienced QB...who, in OUR case, despite getting starts, will transfer anyway....our case in point? Vedral and McCaffrey. Both got starts, didn't do too well, transferred out after getting replaced by better QB. I feel for Frost (and, to a point, all of college coaches). You are usually damned if you do (get another QB) or damned if you don't (let the "me" QB play, suck for the most part, go back to original QB, wathc "sucky" QB transfer). Maybe I am being a bit hard on these "kids" (who, by the way, are the same age as our soldiers/marines/seamen/airman/coast guard/etc, who have died in our wars throughout history) but this is all about the "I DESERVE, it is about ME" generation we are in.

great post but per bolded, Frost (and A LOT of college coaches) are caught in a paradox: Bring in a transfer QB or recruit too many HS QB's, lose your young QB's to the portal....don't have enough QB's (purposely to keep your young QB's) you play an inexperienced QB...who, in OUR case, despite getting starts, will transfer anyway....our case in point? Vedral and McCaffrey. Both got starts, didn't do too well, transferred out after getting replaced by better QB. I feel for Frost (and, to a point, all of college coaches). You are usually damned if you do (get another QB) or damned if you don't (let the "me" QB play, suck for the most part, go back to original QB, wathc "sucky" QB transfer). Maybe I am being a bit hard on these "kids" (who, by the way, are the same age as our soldiers/marines/seamen/airman/coast guard/etc, who have died in our wars throughout history) but this is all about the "I DESERVE, it is about ME" generation we are in.
Funniest part is, people wanted Terry Wilson,a guy who transferred away from Oregon to come here, yet people havnt caught up with the new reality

c'mon guys, we're fine at QB. According to Frost we have a QB he wouldnt trade for anyone else as our starter, and Smothers, according to Frost, is coming along better than hoped for and he is more excited about him than when they signed him. Frost knows better than us. :thumbsup:

I started a thread on this just now in the "Other" teams forum but Michigan lost yet another QB to the portal today.

If things work out, its not crazy think, after spring ball,the qbs that think they have a real shot of starting and lose out may opt to the portal where if we need one, a nice pickup could be had

I have $20 that says LM wears a DONU Jersey in fall 2021.

i think he just needed a mental break, entering the portal allows him to think things over.

Is he a QB?
Does he really want to leave his teammates at DONU?
Does he see himself at the next level, and if so, should it be like which brother? RB, or QB?

Since he has not left campus, I think that says a lot about Not wanting to break ties with his friends here.

GBR

c'mon guys, we're fine at QB. According to Frost we have a QB he wouldnt trade for anyone else as our starter, and Smothers, according to Frost, is coming along better than hoped for and he is more excited about him than when they signed him. Frost knows better than us. :thumbsup:
The bolded is absolutely true.

I have $20 that says LM wears a DONU Jersey in fall 2021.

i think he just needed a mental break, entering the portal allows him to think things over.

Is he a QB?
Does he really want to leave his teammates at DONU?
Does he see himself at the next level, and if so, should it be like which brother? RB, or QB?

Since he has not left campus, I think that says a lot about Not wanting to break ties with his friends here.

GBR
$20? You that confident? :cool:

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back