• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Losing QB's to the portal

I'm not advocating for any particular player to be our starter except make sure it's the best we have out there. I said EARLY on when some said AM had played his last down as our starter I strongly disagreed. My point/question is IF AM is the best and wants to play another year what happens with the QB's stacked up behind him? Seems like today soon as players figure out they aren't going to be a starter (especially QB's) they flee the scene. AM certainly has a lot to prove this coming season especially when it comes to NOT turning the ball over imo. That's a KILLER stat and either it greatly improves or someone else should get a chance imo.
My answer is, whats the value of a totally unproven player with less time to work with?
If hes a 5 star, everyone grabs him up.
If hes a low four star,maybe P5, but his choices are limited

Last edited:

Yea... Hurts was bused by little Nick with a career record at Bama of 92.9 percent (26-2). He immediately fled to the Swooners so today a good QB is not sticking with a program if they aren't the starter. So even mighty Bama can't hang onto to a quality QB like Hurts if he's going to ride the bench.
I was referring to this years qb
Jones, rs junior

Last edited:
That does seem to be how a high percentage of FBS QBs handle things these days if they are not starting at least by year 2 in the program.
Yup, and even then, it is the way they handle things. Point in reference? Look at Luke. 2nd year (as you stated, year 2), started 2 games, played a lot, and, BAM, portal dance time!

Last edited:
My answer is, whats the value of a totally unproven player with less time to work with?
If hes a 5 star, everyone grabs him up.
If hes a low four star,maybe P5, but his choices are limited
I was referring to this years qb
Jones, rs junior
I believe my example shows what happened to a STARTER that had a proven winning record was quickly pushed aside the instant Nick figured he had a better option... hence Hurts was gone!

I believe my example shows what happened to a STARTER that had a proven winning record was quickly pushed aside the instant Nick figured he had a better option... hence Hurts was gone!
Yep
I'm referring to a guy actually waiting his turn to play, and how you can win a championship by playing in one an winning it.
If AM stays for two years, LS has to have that patience

In 2020 Alabama had 11 transfers out of the program including Taulia Tagovailoa.
So, not everyone wants to be on a winner anymore, is the moral. They want to play, and play now.
Ncaa does have to do something, imo. I'm okay with players transferring- But the minute they put their name in the portal that scholly should be able to be pulled and made available to the school departed from the same freedom that the players have. Coach leaves? imo, tough, you transfer you wait. I'm a bit of old cranky school by the way.

I'm not advocating for any particular player to be our starter except make sure it's the best we have out there. I said EARLY on when some said AM had played his last down as our starter I strongly disagreed. My point/question is IF AM is the best and wants to play another year what happens with the QB's stacked up behind him? Seems like today soon as players figure out they aren't going to be a starter (especially QB's) they flee the scene. AM certainly has a lot to prove this coming season especially when it comes to NOT turning the ball over imo. That's a KILLER stat and either it greatly improves or someone else should get a chance imo.
It appears, from last season, that HCSF hasn't entirely tied his wagon the the AM horse-otherwise LM wouldn't have started. It looked over the long haul, that AM was the best option, but who knows next year?
Agreed on the TOs. Maybe with the line gelling and seemingly other offensive pieces in place he won't have to force some runs, but dang, when that guy takes off he can be dangerous-ask Iowa.

I do not know saban, but history tells he is a no-nonsense guy. I believe a History of taking away schollies. It is a business and these younguns that want to play NFL better learn that lesson. someone better comes along you're out. Now, Alabama has a luxury that UN doesn't-a deep and talented roster.

Why would he want to come here? This is not a well-oiled offensive machine the HC has built over the years with highly regarded receivers chomping at the bit to make our roster.. How would he show off his skills with this team?

Anyone transferring is doing so to be a starter. It sounds like that is not what Frost is looking for, so essentially buckle up and pray Smothers never has to see the field.
Its amazing all you fortune tellers have written Smothers off before he has taken a live snap in a game.

Bring this kid in and let him compete. If LS does not want to stick around, well there will be additional options in the portal. The bottom line is we have zero QBs who 1. are not turnover prone 2. proven winners. This is not a bash AM statement. I get there have been issues like line play and injuries but the bottom line is he is very turnover prone and has not lead the team to winning seasons.

If Tyler Shough comes in and AM suddenly starts valuing the football and connects on intermediate to long throws and keeps the job cool. But the bottom line is this program needs a viable QB2 and in today’s college game you can’t think about who your starter might be in 2023.

Last edited:
Bring this kid in and let him compete. If LS does not want to stick around, well there will be additional options in the portal. The bottom line is we have zero QBs who 1. are not turnover prone 2. proven winners. This is not a bash AM statement. I get there have been issues like line play and injuries but the bottom line is he is very turnover prone and has not lead the team to winning seasons.

If Tyler Shough comes in and AM suddenly starts valuing the football and connects on intermediate to long throws and keeps the job cool. But the bottom line is this program needs a viable QB2 and in today’s college game you can’t think about who your starter might be in 2023.
While I agree, this is by no means best case scenario.
Whether one happens after spring, we will know

At some point, you have to get and keep your guys
In this goofy transfer world, too many options could be its own problem

Its amazing all you fortune tellers have written Smothers off before he has taken a live snap in a game.
You don’t have to be a fortune teller to know where he was on the depth chart before LM left. It’s safe to assume he is not ready to take over if needed, since the guy he was behind was also not ready to take over.

It’s possible he will make amazing leaps in spring ball I suppose, but I would not hold my breath on him being ready to run the show in September.

Last edited:

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back