• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Looking for Brisket Advice

SierraRed

I'm pretty good at drinking beer
5 Year Member
I'm not happy with my recent brisket results. The last couple of times I have made it the bottom burns to the grate, and it is too mushy to slice properly. Here is my basic technique:
  • Start with a full packer brisket
  • Trim the fat cap
  • Rub - sometimes just salt an pepper, sometimes a rub with sugars in it
  • Smoke at 225 on a pellet grill, fat side up
  • Pull at 205 internal temperature.
I am open to suggestions, particularly on smoking temp and whether the fat cap should be up or down, trimmed or left intact.

What size brisket are you smoking and what type of smoker are you using?
I normally don't go just by temp but by probing to see if it is tough or a toothpick or probe goes thru it like butter. i also wrap in foil and let it set in a warmed up cooler for at least 1.5 hours to let the juices hold in the meat and overall just helps the final product.

My best briskets have always been fat cap untrimmed and up, treated with a dry rub consisting of a whole lot more than just salt and pepper, off side smoked typically with hickory though I've had good results with pecan and my variation on what Chicago Husker mentioned I'll wrap it in foil and let it rest in an oven at about 100 degrees after the smoking is done. My issue lately has been finding full size briskets. The little pieces I end up with most frequently just don't turn out right.

My mouth is watering and I will be finding a brisket on the drive home this weekend.

. i also wrap in foil and let it set in a warmed up cooler for at least 1.5 hours to let the juices hold in the meat and overall just helps the final product.

I've had good results with pecan and my variation on what Chicago Husker mentioned I'll wrap it in foil and let it rest in an oven at about 100 degrees after the smoking is done. My issue lately has been finding full size briskets. The little pieces I end up with most frequently just don't turn out right.

Thanks guys. I think you may have hit on part of my problem: I need to let them rest after I pull them off the smoker. I'm already booked for this weekend, but I may just have to give it another try next weekend.

CH, I feel for you if you can't find full packer briskets. Doing just the flat or just the point never turns out good for me. Where are you at? Maybe we can work out something and I'll ship you one or two in dry ice.

My best briskets have always been fat cap untrimmed and up, treated with a dry rub consisting of a whole lot more than just salt and pepper, off side smoked typically with hickory though I've had good results with pecan and my variation on what Chicago Husker mentioned I'll wrap it in foil and let it rest in an oven at about 100 degrees after the smoking is done. My issue lately has been finding full size briskets. The little pieces I end up with most frequently just don't turn out right.

My mouth is watering and I will be finding a brisket on the drive home this weekend.
I wrap just about everything I smoke in double foil wraps once the internal temp hits 140-145 degrees. I put some of the mop in there with it and like you and ChicagoH I let it sit sit sit. Otherwise it comes out tough and dry.

I'm not happy with my recent brisket results. The last couple of times I have made it the bottom burns to the grate, and it is too mushy to slice properly. Here is my basic technique:
  • Start with a full packer brisket
  • Trim the fat cap
  • Rub - sometimes just salt an pepper, sometimes a rub with sugars in it
  • Smoke at 225 on a pellet grill, fat side up
  • Pull at 205 internal temperature.
I am open to suggestions, particularly on smoking temp and whether the fat cap should be up or down, trimmed or left intact.
This is a great site

Trimming the fat cap to a thin layer makes the most sense, IMO.

I rub it with more than S&P, usually cayenne, garlic powder at a minimum. Always rub in at least 24 hours before you cook it. That salt needs time to work its magic.

As discussed in the link, temp isn't nearly as important as some think. I do go low/slow probably because I always have and am a little superstituious like that.

As mentioned, I always wrap in foil. It speeds it up and helps keep it tender.

Last thing and I believe it's mentioned in the link, you can (and I often do) separate the point and the flat. They are usually so different in thinkness that there's no way I could cook them together and get everything to turn out awesome. Plus this way, I get double'ish the rub on there which is one of my favorite parts to eat.

I wrap just about everything I smoke in double foil wraps once the internal temp hits 140-145 degrees. I put some of the mop in there with it and like you and ChicagoH I let it sit sit sit. Otherwise it comes out tough and dry.

This is imperative. Rest. I still hate you.

This is a great site

Trimming the fat cap to a thin layer makes the most sense, IMO.

I rub it with more than S&P, usually cayenne, garlic powder at a minimum. Always rub in at least 24 hours before you cook it. That salt needs time to work its magic.

As discussed in the link, temp isn't nearly as important as some think. I do go low/slow probably because I always have and am a little superstituious like that.

As mentioned, I always wrap in foil. It speeds it up and helps keep it tender.

Last thing and I believe it's mentioned in the link, you can (and I often do) separate the point and the flat. They are usually so different in thinkness that there's no way I could cook them together and get everything to turn out awesome. Plus this way, I get double'ish the rub on there which is one of my favorite parts to eat.

curious if you wrap in foil while in the smoker or when it is pulled out to rest. I ask because in my experience while wrapping in foil in the smoker it does help push thru the stall but tends to steam cook as well. I have wrapped in butcher paper on occasion which has the same result but doesn't trap the steam. always like to here other thoughts on methods.

curious if you wrap in foil while in the smoker or when it is pulled out to rest. I ask because in my experience while wrapping in foil in the smoker it does help push thru the stall but tends to steam cook as well. I have wrapped in butcher paper on occasion which has the same result but doesn't trap the steam. always like to here other thoughts on methods.
I usually wrap in foil near the end and through rest. It does steam it a little, which helps make it tender and moist.

I usually wrap in foil near the end and through rest. It does steam it a little, which helps make it tender and moist.

try using butcher paper sometime instead of foil and check the difference. You can always add a wrap of foil after pulling from the smoker.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back