• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Local media so wrong about this yr-WHY?

David3464

Red Shirt
5 Year Member
When I go back and see what local Husker media wrote prior to season start, most predicted a 7-9 win team. Why exactly? I saw what we had returning and all the new transfers and thought 5-6 wins TOPS! We’re they just polyanna’s? I thought these media guys were supposed to know MORE about the team, and not base their predictions off of dreaming. It makes me obviously not trust a word they say about our sports teams. They look like idiots saying no one could have predicted the team being THIS bad. It should have been pretty clear though looking at who left from last year. It boggles my mind that people always seem to think the Huskers are going to be better than year before when all they have to do is be objective and look at the roster. This year, for instance, I don’t think we even have any players that would make Honorable Mention in B1G. It’s that bad of a team. Heck, I was even too optimistic thinking we’d win 5-6 games. After losing to Northwestern though, I didn’t have us winning more than 2 B1G games and that looks iffy now.

When I go back and see what local Husker media wrote prior to season start, most predicted a 7-9 win team. Why exactly? I saw what we had returning and all the new transfers and thought 5-6 wins TOPS! We’re they just polyanna’s? I thought these media guys were supposed to know MORE about the team, and not base their predictions off of dreaming. It makes me obviously not trust a word they say about our sports teams. They look like idiots saying no one could have predicted the team being THIS bad. It should have been pretty clear though looking at who left from last year. It boggles my mind that people always seem to think the Huskers are going to be better than year before when all they have to do is be objective and look at the roster. This year, for instance, I don’t think we even have any players that would make Honorable Mention in B1G. It’s that bad of a team. Heck, I was even too optimistic thinking we’d win 5-6 games. After losing to Northwestern though, I didn’t have us winning more than 2 B1G games and that looks iffy now.
Unfortunately fans are too filled with hope and emotion. That isn’t bad until it’s carried away. I can go back to three months ago and every thread was an argument between the koolaid and the realists. Yes there were people who saw this.

The standard response by the koolaid fans was why not think positive? It doesn’t hurt. Unfortunately I think it does in retrospect for many fans who are in shock. Other fans aren’t as surprised and are weathering the emotional despair of this season better.

In fact I’d say the negative Nannie’s from the last two years are ahead of the game in terms of acceptance and are already into the excitement of a new staff.

Unfortunately fans are too filled with hope and emotion. That isn’t bad until it’s carried away. I can go back to three months ago and every thread was an argument between the koolaid and the realists. Yes there were people who saw this.

The standard response by the koolaid fans was why not think positive? It doesn’t hurt. Unfortunately I think it does in retrospect for many fans who are in shock. Other fans aren’t as surprised and are weathering the emotional despair of this season better.

In fact I’d say the negative Nannie’s from the last two years are ahead of the game in terms of acceptance and are already into the excitement of a new staff.
Question is, what about next year?

Question is, what about next year?

Not sure what specifically you are referring too but nothing next year can be speculated on until the coaching changes are settled. Obviously we have our hands full as fans trying to guess that.

I think the Nebraska football program needs to figure out how to win each day given the talent on hand. The fans should use the 2022 season as a reset with “hopes” for better things to come.

Last edited:
So its not a talent issue?
Why don’t you just say what you want to say instead of challenging me with open ended questions. It’s obvious by what I wrote we need coaching in place first. If you want to challenge the talent issue make a case for it.

I think the Nebraska football program needs to figure out how to win each day given the talent on hand. The fans should use the 2022 season as a reset with “hopes” for better things to come.
I think out talent is good
I think our coaching never understood things about momentum, TOP, clock management in micro and macro etc
I think being close counts because it shows how good our talent is vs how bad they were managed
It mostly pivoted on our coaching which explains getting it wrong as this team and staff were so close to getting it right.

Why don’t you just say what you want to say instead of challenging me with open ended questions. It’s obvious by what I wrote we need coaching in place first. If you want to challenge the talent issue make a case for it.
How do I get an answer with you giving questions? You have no opinion?

When I go back and see what local Husker media wrote prior to season start, most predicted a 7-9 win team. Why exactly?
Good question, especially in light of the fact that everybody in Lincoln knew the HC was not doing his job. Sports reporters, and reporters in general, aren't any smarter than the rest of us, they're just better at writing. They don't ask exceptionally probing questions. Now that I think about it, maybe that's why they don't mic the reports at pressers.

Put your tinfoil hat on…but I think the “local media” have a vested interest in helping sell tickets for the university….I mean we’ve been off-season champs the last 7 years, and the product on the field says otherwise.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back