• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Local media so wrong about this yr-WHY?

FWIW the local media, or at least the OWH, seemed to have a somewhat more confrontational approach during the Pelini years. Dunno if maybe that was somewhat Bo's doing, but I vaguely remember hearing that the OWH was trying to generate drama and clicks.

I, for one, chalked up the program's recent failures to simple incompetence by Frost and his nit-wit staff. Didn't know that there was a basic lack of effort from the top, and that Scott wasn't merely asleep at the switch. It turns out he wasn't even AT the switch, and the local media would've done us all a huge service with some basic investigation and reporting.

If folks had known a year ago what's just starting to come out now, there wouldn't have been the fan and booster support to keep FS after last season. And then we'd have a real season this year instead of the chocolate swirlee that we're now enduring.

FWIW the local media, or at least the OWH, seemed to have a somewhat more confrontational approach during the Pelini years. Dunno if maybe that was somewhat Bo's doing, but I vaguely remember hearing that the OWH was trying to generate drama and clicks.

I, for one, chalked up the program's recent failures to simple incompetence by Frost and his nit-wit staff. Didn't know that there was a basic lack of effort from the top, and that Scott wasn't merely asleep at the switch. It turns out he wasn't even AT the switch, and the local media would've done us all a huge service with some basic investigation and reporting.

If folks had known a year ago what's just starting to come out now, there wouldn't have been the fan and booster support to keep FS after last season. And then we'd have a real season this year instead of the chocolate swirlee that we're now enduring.
This is really to the point. Which is why I’ve been upset that SF wasn’t let go last year. However, in saying that the positive side is two things. First even people hearing it last weren’t as adamant. They still needed to see staff changes and a Southern Georgia type of disaster to be 100% convinced.

Secondly. I think Trev is going to have a lot less competition this year for the better coaches. Last year was ugly.

This is really to the point. Which is why I’ve been upset that SF wasn’t let go last year. However, in saying that the positive side is two things. First even people hearing it last weren’t as adamant. They still needed to see staff changes and a Southern Georgia type of disaster to be 100% convinced.

Secondly. I think Trev is going to have a lot less competition this year for the better coaches. Last year was ugly.
I've been wondering about your second point. Does it maybe "seem" like there'll be less competition this year bc we're still so early in the season, and thus, it won't be until later that several other P5 teams fire their coach?

Last edited:
I've been wondering about your second point. Does it maybe "seem" like there'll be less competition this year bc we're still so early in the season, and thus, it won't be until later that several other P5 teams fire their coach?

I think it is going to take some time for Trev to find the right guy to make his sales pitch. Though Nebraska has many positives going for it…it isn’t an easy place to coach. Trev needs to find the right guy that can bring the program back to life and handle the outside noise otherwise known as the expectations of the fans.

This won’t be an easy task but in Trev we trust. :thumbsup:

Last edited:

With some of the off season alignment issues it’s becoming more and more clear there is going to become a higher echelon of teams/conferences. The only 2 guaranteed at this point is SEC and B1G. So essentially to be in the have conferences it’s huge getting into one of them. With all the previous turnover I’m not sure there will be a single opening other than Nebraska this year in the B1G. Same for SEC.

If you are a coach wanting to get into these conferences there might not be more than 2-3 spots available.

With some of the off season alignment issues it’s becoming more and more clear there is going to become a higher echelon of teams/conferences. The only 2 guaranteed at this point is SEC and B1G. So essentially to be in the have conferences it’s huge getting into one of them. With all the previous turnover I’m not sure there will be a single opening other than Nebraska this year in the B1G. Same for SEC.

If you are a coach wanting to get into these conferences there might not be more than 2-3 spots available.
That is the way it looks now. But is this the year a few successful coaches decide to try the pros — or retire? That is the worst case scenario— when good SEC or B1G teams need a new coach. Nebraska can’t compete with that.
It will be interesting to see if successful Big 12 coaches value their success in the Big 12 or membership in the B1G conference more.

Good question, especially in light of the fact that everybody in Lincoln knew the HC was not doing his job. Sports reporters, and reporters in general, aren't any smarter than the rest of us, they're just better at writing. They don't ask exceptionally probing questions. Now that I think about it, maybe that's why they don't mic the reports at pressers.
I’m not even willing to concede that they are better at writing. Most of it is poor quality. It’s more a matter of their having a platform.

By the way, thanks for the good topic @David3464

That is the way it looks now. But is this the year a few successful coaches decide to try the pros — or retire? That is the worst case scenario— when good SEC or B1G teams need a new coach. Nebraska can’t compete with that.
It will be interesting to see if successful Big 12 coaches value their success in the Big 12 or membership in the B1G conference more.
Not disagreeing it’s just that right now it appears better than last year. Good news is Trev has an opportunity to be out front of it better than he could have last year.

I like your points but just want to mention that IMO there is good news / bad news about this.

You are absolutely correct that last year a lot of very good jobs opened up and there was tremendous competition for the best available coaches. But the bad news there is that now the coaches that did move have settled in at a new place and aren't going anywhere for at least few years, and some other coaches used the heightened interest to negotiate raises and bigger buyouts and may now be more difficult to pull away.

But then the new media deals and conference realignment that just happened weren't fully in place last year, and now that they are it does make the Big Ten even more attractive for a coach.

It should have been pretty clear though looking at who left from last year. It boggles my mind that people always seem to think the Huskers are going to be better than year before when all they have to do is be objective and look at the roster.
Optimism reigns supreme in Husker Nation. Honestly it has to - it's been 2 decades since Nebraska could even claim a conference title.

To your question though about the miss by the local media, and your statement above, fans were perhaps more optimistic heading into Fall 2022 because of the Offensive Staff changes, a new QB from Texas (whether you were a fan of AM or not), and 9 single-digit losses in 2021 signaling a corner about to be turned.

Along with the offensive changes, and other stated benefits to the composition of the staff, there is talent on the roster as evidenced by recent recruiting performance and some really nice portal additions. Media and fans allowed themselves to believe Nebraska was finally putting together the missing pieces that would a get the program back on track to bowl eligibility.

That is one big reason a guy like Herbstreit picked Nebraska to win the B1G West.

Local media plays off much the same information fans get throughout the year - and there is a lot out there to find via both free sites and behind pay walls. And without dismissing the media's failure to see this product coming, just take a look at the season prediction thread for a quick view what fans on HMax generally thought they were going to see.

Local media obviously "sees" more than the fans do, but their access is quite restricted and they too must rely on information provided by the guy who failed the program.

Nebraska is broken but it is not destroyed - way too many resources are in place to get this thing humming again. Problem is, humming right now is bowl eligibility, not conference championships, and the foundation needs to be repaired. Let's hope TA finds the right guy to get that done as quickly as possible so we can all get out of the mud.

Last edited:

When I go back and see what local Husker media wrote prior to season start, most predicted a 7-9 win team. Why exactly? I saw what we had returning and all the new transfers and thought 5-6 wins TOPS! We’re they just polyanna’s? I thought these media guys were supposed to know MORE about the team, and not base their predictions off of dreaming. It makes me obviously not trust a word they say about our sports teams. They look like idiots saying no one could have predicted the team being THIS bad. It should have been pretty clear though looking at who left from last year. It boggles my mind that people always seem to think the Huskers are going to be better than year before when all they have to do is be objective and look at the roster. This year, for instance, I don’t think we even have any players that would make Honorable Mention in B1G. It’s that bad of a team. Heck, I was even too optimistic thinking we’d win 5-6 games. After losing to Northwestern though, I didn’t have us winning more than 2 B1G games and that looks iffy now.
After the Iowa game last year, we were in a world of hurt with losses along the D-Line. We seemed to do very well in the portal to fill this hole and it brought hope. I think it is as simple as those portal fixes didn't work out nearly as well as we were led to believe.

I think it is going to take some time for Trev to find the right guy to make his sales pitch. Though Nebraska has many positives going for it…it isn’t an easy place to coach. Trev needs to find the right guy that can bring the program back to life and handle the outside noise otherwise known as the expectations of the fans.

This won’t be an easy task but in Trev we trust. :thumbsup:
Stuff that, Leiopold is 4-0 at Kansas, yes KANSAS.

A good coach and good staff make all the difference.

And yes, going back to last fall when I wanted HCSF fired Leiopold is.was my first coach, the man can make chicken salad without a lot of chicken, just what we need.

GBR

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back