• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Lobster

HuskerMark

Starter
15 Year Member
Who has ever grilled lobster? I would like to try it but with the cost I do not want to mess up.

The only time you should ever grill lobster is if you can't boil or steam it............unless you like it a bit dry and a little more chewy.

We did lobsters on the grill once. Split the tail, used a gas grill with a smoke box. Can't remember much about heat, time, wood but it was great and wasn't chewy or tough.

HMark,

I've grilled lobster tails a couple of ways. The key is to cook over medium, indirect heat. Baste the tails frequently with a garlic butter sauce, seasoned to your preference (I like a little old bay seasoning or cayenne). This will keep the meat from drying out. Also, try to prevent flare ups, as this will tend to dry out the meat.

So, you can split the tail completely in half vertically, or simply cut open the top half of the shell. I've done it both ways, and as long as the butter sauce is applied every couple of minutes after the first turn (while the meat is exposed topside, away from the grill), the meat retains a moist, juicy texture. You should apply some butter sauce just before placing them on the grill, as well.

Three to four minutes on one side, turn, and four to five minutes on the other side, or until the meat is opaque.

I haven't used a smoke box on lobster. I'd imagine Applewood might be good.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back