• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Locked due to no posts in 60 days. Report 1st post if need unlocked LJS-Steven M. Sipple: Time to honor Solich at NU, Osborne says

Status
Not open for further replies.

GoBigfRed

Varsity
20 Year Member
Long overdue. Frank needs to know he's welcomed back into the family that's been such a HUGE part of his and our lives. The standing ovation when he congratulated the fans in a video during the 300th sellout game showed that the majority of the Cornhusker fans recognize the injustice thanks to Pedey during a time many of us would like to forget.

Very nice column by Mr. Sipple in the paper earlier this week. I hope they can get something to work out.

http://huskerextra.com/sports/football/article_842278e4-96c8-5204-9dcd-eac28296e9d5.html

Things I know and think I know:

My wife tells me I tend to fixate on life's rather trivial matters — one of my several flaws, for sure.

So, in the spirit of fixation, I asked Nebraska athletic director Tom Osborne on Friday if there has been any movement to formally recognize former Husker football coach Frank Solich, perhaps at halftime of a game or even halftime of a Red-White Spring Game (I've broached this topic a few times in recent years).

"I talked to Frank about that (Friday) morning, and would really like to do that," Osborne said. "The big problem has been finding the right time to do it. But we're trying to find a time when we might be able to do something like that."

Was Solich receptive to the idea?

"He didn't say no," Osborne said with a chuckle.

As head coach at Ohio University, Solich has pressing obligations during both the fall and spring. Last week, the 67-year-old Solich was inducted into the Lincoln Southeast Hall of Fame. The former Knights coach received a standing ovation from the crowd at the Great Hall in downtown Lincoln.

"I think he needs to be recognized here," Osborne said. "If you look at that six-year period when he was a coach here, golly, they went to two BCS bowls, played for a national championship, won the Big 12 championship, and won 75 percent of his games. That's difficult to do."

Since Solich was fired following a 9-3 regular-season finish in 2003, Nebraska has lost at least four games per season.

Osborne no doubt will have to twist Frank's arm to get him to agree to some sort of recognition in front of the masses. He's never been too comfortable as a focal point.

Column continues in link.

Last edited:

Does it have to be a game....just tell everyone what day to show up at the stadium and it'll get filled

'Bout time. All-Big 8 fullback, NE Football HOF member, Big Red HFC with a 75% win percentage, yeah, it's about time...

It is indeed long overdue. FS holds a special and significant place in Husker football history.

Agreed. Frankie gave a lot to the University as a player, a position coach and a head coach. Long overdue in my opinion.

Frank deserves to be recognized for what he gave to the program. Hopefully he has recovered from the pedey injustice; unfortunately the Huskers suffered for years since. I hope Bo's recovery program is quick! GBR

Respectful and appreciative closure to a sad time in our program's history needs to happen.

Yep and the sooner the better...can't help but wonder where we'd be now had Pedey not crapped all over our beloved program...

I think it is time for Solich to give some recognition to the Husker football program and how it helped him make $$$$$$

;)

Last edited:

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back