• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Listening to Huskers on the Radio

[QUOTE="Farmer Jake, post: 4582371, member: 5401"

Mom yelling out score updates from the house for the 1969 Oklahoma game while gathering items to put up an electric fence around the farm field for cattle to go to the stalks..

Queue up The Statler's "Do You Remember These" . . . .
[/QUOTE]

Love it!

Odd, not a Warren Swain or Jim Rose mention in this thread. :Biggrin:

Pavelka has always been the person I think of when someone talks about Husker radio broadcasts. Back before the extended delay they put on TV broadcasts, it was standard fare to turn up the radio and mute the TV, to get a broadcast that was more informed and matched the emotions we were feeling. With the delay and pretty much all games being televised, I rarely listen much unless I'm driving.

Current booth is okay, although it's always been a pet peeve of mine when I can hear the whistle on the broadcast, and the announcer is still calling out the play for several more seconds like it's still happening. Kent was rattling off a couple hundred words per minute with pretty good accuracy and clarity considering, and you not only felt like you were there, but were experiencing it in real-time with the same emotions as if you were watching. That's what puts him at the top of the heap IMO.
We did that all time especially if Musburger was calling the game on tv.

We did that all time especially if Musburger was calling the game on tv.
I was at a College World Series game in the late 80s or early 90s and they introduced Brent Musburger to the crowd because he was going to call the weekend games on TV. The rather loud boo caught Jack Payne the announcer and Brent completely off guard. It was great.

I love listening to games because you can get more done than just being glued to the TV.
I catch a lot of different teams’ broadcasts, and I think Nebraska has one of the most exciting teams for calling football and you absolutely can’t beat Kent Pavelka screaming “Got It!” in a close basketball game. I like Greg Sharpe a lot, but I do sometimes miss Pavelka calling a football game.

Years ago during away games I would watch at home but run out to the garage back when I was still smoking cigarettes and I would turn on Matt Davidson on the radio in my car so I could keep up. If the score was tight I would just stay in the garage until we scored or stopped them depending on where we were.

I love listening to games because you can get more done than just being glued to the TV.
I catch a lot of different teams’ broadcasts, and I think Nebraska has one of the most exciting teams for calling football and you absolutely can’t beat Kent Pavelka screaming “Got It!” in a close basketball game. I like Greg Sharpe a lot, but I do sometimes miss Pavelka calling a football game.
Pavelak /Sadelmeir were the Lyle Bremser of my era, The Voice Of Husker Football

Last edited:

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back