• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Listening to Huskers on the Radio

SemperHusker

Practice Squad
2 Year Member
Good article in "Fresh Links". Nowadays every game is on TV but that sure didn't used to be the case. Last time I listened to a game on the radio was during Hurricane Florence 2 years ago. Had no power and the weather was still ultra crappy but I sat in my truck in the driveway and listened to BIG 10 Radio (or whatever it's called). Unfortunately the game was a clunker (lost to Troy). Just curious if, given a choice, anyone prefers radio over TV?

Good article in "Fresh Links". Nowadays every game is on TV but that sure didn't used to be the case. Last time I listened to a game on the radio was during Hurricane Florence 2 years ago. Had no power and the weather was still ultra crappy but I sat in my truck in the driveway and listened to BIG 10 Radio (or whatever it's called). Unfortunately the game was a clunker (lost to Troy). Just curious if, given a choice, anyone prefers radio over TV?
I love TV for sure. But the nostalgia of listening only on the radio with a good PbP announcer would be fun. My last radio only game might have been ASU in 96 (driving back from gf's place). So maybe radio is a bad idea!

Before the University went with one radio broadcast team/network, there were at least five radio stations broadcasting the games over AM radio. KFOR had Dick Perry, KLIN had Bob Zenner and then Tom Hedrick, KFAB had Lyell Bremser, and WOW had Dan Patrick. The fifth was KRNU and whoever was a senior broadcast major that year. When you walked down the street in the fall, you could hear all the the major broadcasters calling the game. My dad was partial to KLIN and Bob Zenner/Tom Hedrick. His opinion of Bremser was while he was exciting to listen to, he made a lot of mistakes on the who and where. After the game, was the John Van Bloom call in scoreboard/highlight show. Every week, someone would always call in for the Slippery Rock score. I can smell the burning leaves...

Before the University went with one radio broadcast team/network, there were at least five radio stations broadcasting the games over AM radio. KFOR had Dick Perry, KLIN had Bob Zenner and then Tom Hedrick, KFAB had Lyell Bremser, and WOW had Dan Patrick. The fifth was KRNU and whoever was a senior broadcast major that year. When you walked down the street in the fall, you could hear all the the major broadcasters calling the game. My dad was partial to KLIN and Bob Zenner/Tom Hedrick. His opinion of Bremser was while he was exciting to listen to, he made a lot of mistakes on the who and where. After the game, was the John Van Bloom call in scoreboard/highlight show. Every week, someone would always call in for the Slippery Rock score. I can smell the burning leaves...
We always listen to Bremser. My dad serviced the IBM machines at KFAB and sorts knew him. He was also station manager.

The thing that is really sad is that all the play by play guys back them are pretty much better than what you get now.

Last edited:
If I wasn't at the game when living in Lincoln always tuned into Lyell and he sure made the games exciting imo. As a young kid I listened to a lot of MLB games on the radio out in the country. Many times late at night with the radio under the covers so my folks couldn't hear it. lol I think Dad knew I was doing it but ignored it long as I was up on time for school the next morning. To this day I actually prefer to listen to MLB on the radio with a good announcer.

Listened to many Husker games sitting on a tractor with the radio up full blast so I could hear it over the engine. That's probably why my wife says I can't hear anything today! Loved Lyle in his prime. Even when the game was on TV, dad turned it down and turned up the radio. I wish I could get it to synch up today, I'd listen on the radio more often.

If I wasn't at the game when living in Lincoln always tuned into Lyell and he sure made the games exciting imo. As a young kid I listened to a lot of MLB games on the radio out in the country. Many times late at night with the radio under the covers so my folks couldn't hear it. lol I think Dad knew I was doing it but ignored it long as I was up on time for school the next morning. To this day I actually prefer to listen to MLB on the radio with a good announcer.
I was never a Dodgers fan but man I loved hearing Vin Scully call a game! You didn't need or want a TV because you could just see it in your head and picture everything and the stories he told were great and he could tell them without missing anything from the current game. They just don't make PBP guys like they used too. Now a days everyone wants to be the star instead of the game itself

I grew up in the LA area in the 60s/70s, when there was no cable and we were lucky to get the NU/OU game on TV. One of the fondest memories of my childhood was sitting in the driveway in my dad's Jeep Wagoneer, listening to the game on the radio (there was a local station that retransmitted all the games).

I miss those times, and now I'm missing dad again.

We listened to Dick Perry in the 60s and 70s because the signal was better than the station that had Lyle Bremser. I had a little transistor radio that I had with me wherever I went but it was hard to hear over a tractor. My dad didn’t have a radio in a tractor until 1975 when they all just came with them. He thought you needed to “listen to your machine.”

My cousin and I did the same thing every summer at their farm near Elwood. Under the sheets listening to Harry Carey calling the Cardinals games. We always listened to Lyell for Husker games. What a time we had out there!!

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back