• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Listen, I love Coach Frost...

I agree, next year the young guns better show some forward progress, otherwise we will be starting this endless process of "new coaches" all over again with nothing but hope.
To be fair ANYONE hiring a coach is only hoping. There are less than 5 coaches in the game today that you could say "I guarantee he's going to succeed at a high level at ______." The rest is all hoping the success at wherever they are at translates to wherever they are going.

To be fair ANYONE hiring a coach is only hoping. There are less than 5 coaches in the game today that you could say "I guarantee he's going to succeed at a high level at ______." The rest is all hoping the success at wherever they are at translates to wherever they are going.
While I do not disagree, we hired the concensus "Home Run hire" 3 years ago.

bullcrap. You DO NOT have to have 5* athletes at every position (or any position).
You and I generally agree on most things, so at first I was surprised by your post. But I understand what you are saying and I agree that personnel usage is also a baffling problem with this staff. But I don’t think that is going to change, for some unknown reason.

But I really don’t like this scheme for Nebraska and our use, or lack there of, of our talent just adds to my disgust.

While I do not disagree, we hired the concensus "Home Run hire" 3 years ago.
And it was a "home run". We weren't the only P5 program that wanted to hand him a bunch of cash. This was the one time we were going to get the high profile "it" guy. Doesn't look like it's going to work out. That we won't be getting the "it" guy again doesn't matter much. I hadn't heard about Matt Campbell or the coach at Indiana much before they zoomed past NU in relevance. Not saying you have said this but those that did say "if Frost can't do it nobody can" are just dead wrong. There are coaches that can succeed at NU going forward. Hopefully, we'll find one while I'm still alive.

You and I generally agree on most things, so at first I was surprised by your post. But I understand what you are saying and I agree that personnel usage is also a baffling problem with this staff. But I don’t think that is going to change, for some unknown reason.

But I really don’t like this scheme for Nebraska and our use, or lack there of, of our talent just adds to my disgust.
I'm of the opinion that most schemes will work anywhere with the right talent and coaching.

What we will never have is all american caliber players backing up the back up to the all american. In other words, OSU is always going to have a depth advantage on NU. But we did score 31 and almost beat them a couple years ago with guys like Stanley Morgan, JD Speilman and Devine Ozigbo. All 3 star guys IRRC. This particular scheme is supposed to equalize things some to the point that you don't have to have draft picks at every position.

Honestly, I don't see the "fast pace" at all when I watch this team. I see a lot of standing around looking at the sideline. That's not what I recall seeing out of UCF. It does seem when they do pick up the pace they get things going...that could be selective memory though...I don't have the stomach to re-watch any of these games.

SF isn’t going anywhere. So this is what we are in for until that contract is up.
I think Frost will be here until Moos retires, which should be in a couple of years. So I expect at least two more years of this mess.

For two years, we've watched snaps go by and over our QB, and yet the player still starts - every single week. Frost's answer: "the other team clapped" So, that's why the ball sailed over AM2's heads. It's a small thing, but probably shuts down 2 drives / game. In one score games, that could be everything. I just don't get it.

Frost's offensive scheme...if he still has one...would absolutely work at NU.

You need Zavier Betts on the field NOT Cade Warner. We need Alante Brown on the field not Levi Falck. We need Marcus Flemming not Oliver whoever. You need to manage the relationship with one of the best receivers in program history better so he doesn't decide pissing away his senior year is better than sticking around.

Granted, these guys are young. But they are playing....SOME. They need to play more and if it's reps in practice that they need then get them the damn reps. Cade Warner can grown a bichen 'stache. But he can't get open and when he does he drops touchdown passes.

One of the top 5 athletes on the team is playing QB part time. Get him on the field.

Offensive line play isn't the a 4x4 Rubik's Cube. No matter what system you run it's going nowhere if your line sucks. It has zero to do with scheme.

NU can get the players to have a good offense in THIS scheme. They've been recruited by THIS staff. For whatever reason they are all gone or sitting on the bench when it's 3rd and 15 in favor of Cade Warner and Levi Falck.

Spot on. Especially the line part.

Frost’s players are here in decent numbers at this point. They are freshmen and sophomores contributing pretty heavily to our team and are arguably our best players (Oline has 3, DL 2, 2-3 LB, anyone with eyes knows our best WR are freshmen, QB, RB—due to injury, and our most talented, unpolished DBs are probably on the bench).

It’s hard to coach up guys who aren’t talented. We don’t really have much talent at the junior/senior level. That’s not going to win games in the B1G against old programs.

These things take time. But I agree our WR usage has been baffling.

Spot on. Especially the line part.

Frost’s players are here in decent numbers at this point. They are freshmen and sophomores contributing pretty heavily to our team and are arguably our best players (Oline has 3, DL 2, 2-3 LB, anyone with eyes knows our best WR are freshmen, QB, RB—due to injury, and our most talented, unpolished DBs are probably on the bench).

It’s hard to coach up guys who aren’t talented. We don’t really have much talent at the junior/senior level. That’s not going to win games in the B1G against old programs.

These things take time. But I agree our WR usage has been baffling.

Lol

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back