• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Lincoln native Bubak returns home to walk on with Huskers (as Graduate Transfer)

Lacking diversity and chalked to the brim with racism? Not the Nebraska I remember growing up in... I lived in Lake Oswego for a couple of years. I did not enjoy my time there. Not the kind of people I wanted to be around.
Maybe the lacking diversity part still holds true in NE.

Lacking diversity and chalked to the brim with racism? Not the Nebraska I remember growing up in... I lived in Lake Oswego for a couple of years. I did not enjoy my time there. Not the kind of people I wanted to be around.

Eugene is 2 hours south of Lake Oswego. It's much different than metro Portland.

And yes, Oregon as a whole is more white-bread than Nebraska. But if you're living outside the cities in farm country it's not dissimilar (in terms of demographics) to parts of Nebraska.

I remember his switch to ASU too, but that seems like about 8 years ago. I'm surprised he still has eligibility, but welcome back home!

Same! Believe he was the same class as Noah Fant, who went pro over a year ago. Bubak was rated higher than Fant too.

Eugene is 2 hours south of Lake Oswego. It's much different than metro Portland.

And yes, Oregon as a whole is more white-bread than Nebraska. But if you're living outside the cities in farm country it's not dissimilar (in terms of demographics) to parts of Nebraska.
I am amazed though at how diversity changed since I left in 81. Growing up in North Platte there were 2 black families. When I go back to visit there are many more black faces. Not to say that it looks like the South side of Chicago but much more diverse then when I grew up there. I still remember though before I moved from Cali to MD I was at a football game At elCamino in Oceanside. There was a recent graduate wearing a "Lopers" shirt in an odd color of Blue. I asked him "Kearney"? He looked at me and asked, "How do you know that?" I told him I grew up in NP at half my friends from HS went to Kearney State. Then I had to explain UNK used to be Kstate. I asked him. How is it? He said, "Different." (He was African American) I laughed and I said, Pretty sure that is true.

Oregon is one of the first states to jump to the cause of diversity, but we actually had racist laws on the books well into the 1920s. In fact, even though the laws were repealed, some of the language still existed in local statues and municipalities until the 1990s-2000s.

It's been blamed for Oregon's ridiculously low black population. I want to be sensitive to all that's going on in the country right now, but the old joke around Eugene was that if you saw a young black man, you knew he played for either the Ducks' football team or basketball team, because we just have such a low native population of African Americans.

The chart below is a percentage of the state's population that is African American / Black. Nebraska is 2.5x higher than Oregon, meaning that you essentially have a 250% higher chance of running into a black person in Nebraska compared with Oregon.

Montana
0.40%​
Idaho
0.60%​
Wyoming
0.90%​
Maine
1.20%​
Vermont
1.20%​
Utah
1.20%​
New Hampshire
1.30%​
Hawaii
1.60%​
Oregon
1.80%
New Mexico
1.80%​
South Dakota
1.90%​
Alaska
2.90%​
North Dakota
3.00%​
Iowa
3.30%​
Washington
3.50%​
West Virginia
3.90%​
Colorado
3.90%​
Arizona
4.10%​
Nebraska
4.50%
Rhode Island
5.40%​
Kansas
5.50%​
California
5.50%​
Wisconsin
6.30%​
Minnesota
6.40%​
Massachusetts
7.00%​
Oklahoma
7.20%​
Kentucky
8.00%​
Nevada
8.90%​
Indiana
9.20%​
Connecticut
9.90%​
Pennsylvania
10.70%​
Missouri
11.40%​
Texas
11.80%​
Ohio
12.20%​
New Jersey
12.80%​
Michigan
13.60%​
Illinois
14.00%​
New York
14.30%​
Arkansas
15.20%​
Florida
15.40%​
Tennessee
16.60%​
Virginia
18.80%​
North Carolina
21.20%​
Delaware
21.50%​
Alabama
26.70%​
South Carolina
26.80%​
Maryland
29.40%​
Georgia
31.10%​
Louisiana
32.10%​
Mississippi
37.90%​

Oregon is one of the first states to jump to the cause of diversity, but we actually had racist laws on the books well into the 1920s. In fact, even though the laws were repealed, some of the language still existed in local statues and municipalities until the 1990s-2000s.

It's been blamed for Oregon's ridiculously low black population. I want to be sensitive to all that's going on in the country right now, but the old joke around Eugene was that if you saw a young black man, you knew he played for either the Ducks' football team or basketball team, because we just have such a low native population of African Americans.

The chart below is a percentage of the state's population that is African American / Black. Nebraska is 2.5x higher than Oregon, meaning that you essentially have a 250% higher chance of running into a black person in Nebraska compared with Oregon.

Montana
0.40%​
Idaho
0.60%​
Wyoming
0.90%​
Maine
1.20%​
Vermont
1.20%​
Utah
1.20%​
New Hampshire
1.30%​
Hawaii
1.60%​
Oregon
1.80%
New Mexico
1.80%​
South Dakota
1.90%​
Alaska
2.90%​
North Dakota
3.00%​
Iowa
3.30%​
Washington
3.50%​
West Virginia
3.90%​
Colorado
3.90%​
Arizona
4.10%​
Nebraska
4.50%
Rhode Island
5.40%​
Kansas
5.50%​
California
5.50%​
Wisconsin
6.30%​
Minnesota
6.40%​
Massachusetts
7.00%​
Oklahoma
7.20%​
Kentucky
8.00%​
Nevada
8.90%​
Indiana
9.20%​
Connecticut
9.90%​
Pennsylvania
10.70%​
Missouri
11.40%​
Texas
11.80%​
Ohio
12.20%​
New Jersey
12.80%​
Michigan
13.60%​
Illinois
14.00%​
New York
14.30%​
Arkansas
15.20%​
Florida
15.40%​
Tennessee
16.60%​
Virginia
18.80%​
North Carolina
21.20%​
Delaware
21.50%​
Alabama
26.70%​
South Carolina
26.80%​
Maryland
29.40%​
Georgia
31.10%​
Louisiana
32.10%​
Mississippi
37.90%​
Good info

Those of us who live in the mid-south, know that women spend fortunes on getting their hair and nails done. One woman wondered, "Those women who live in the cold midwest must have to put a hat on their heads in the winter to keep warm so they have extra challenges to keep their hair beautiful."

Those of us who live in the mid-south, know that women spend fortunes on getting their hair and nails done. One woman wondered, "Those women who live in the cold midwest must have to put a hat on their heads in the winter to keep warm so they have extra challenges to keep their hair beautiful."

I approve this post. Not sure why.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back