• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Lights Out at Big 12

I say drop the "student-athlete" pretense and make all players employees of the university. If they truly want an education, let 'em go into debt to pay for it like everyone else.

I get that but what about the majority of student athletes that utilize sports and a scholarship as a means to get an education? 99% of these athletes realize they have no chance at a future in the Pros.

I get that but what about the majority of student athletes that utilize sports and a scholarship as a means to get an education? 99% of these athletes realize they have no chance at a future in the Pros.
That's what NIL is for.

Pays their way through school so we the taxpayers don't have to.

Well if the Big12 is imploding I think Texas and Okie State fit the SEC better and OU should join the B1G...the rest could join the Mountian West...
No way in hell OU leaves the fertile recruiting grounds of Texas to go play in the B1G. They’ve tied their wagon to the Whorns.

This quote is from HFC Crowe when Arkansas left the SWC for the SEC. You could easily have Lincoln Riley saying the same thing if OU went to the B1G without Texas.

Crowe: “We were just asked to be good soldiers. I almost had a revolt on my team. Those kids, so many of them were from Texas. They came there to play games in Texas.”

No way in hell OU leaves the fertile recruiting grounds of Texas to go play in the B1G. They’ve tied their wagon to the Whorns.

This quote is from HFC Crowe when Arkansas left the SWC for the SEC. You could easily have Lincoln Riley saying the same thing if OU went to the B1G without Texas.

Crowe: “We were just asked to be good soldiers. I almost had a revolt on my team. Those kids, so many of them were from Texas. They came there to play games in Texas.”
Yeah...no one listens to me...I know the score.

I'm just shooting from the hip here but let's be honest, a large percentage of "student-athletes" in major sports are hoping to make it to the next level; some are even counting on it. How many players who get drafted end up pursuing other oppotunities? Very few.

As for everyone else, they'll be getting paid to play a sport they love, essentially a scholarship for all athletes, plus any NIL revenue they can generate. They can apply those earnings toward their education. The question is why should an athlete get special consideration when it comes to scholarships? How does a students athletic prowess benefit the university? Well, they bring in a ton of money. So that money can be used to pay the athlete's salary. With larger schools, revenue from sports could even be used to endow scholarships for non-athletes, should the university choose to do so.

I'm just shooting from the hip here but let's be honest, a large percentage of "student-athletes" in major sports are hoping to make it to the next level; some are even counting on it. How many players who get drafted end up pursuing other oppotunities? Very few.

As for everyone else, they'll be getting paid to play a sport they love, essentially a scholarship for all athletes, plus any NIL revenue they can generate. They can apply those earnings toward their education. The question is why should an athlete get special consideration when it comes to scholarships? How does a students athletic prowess benefit the university? Well, they bring in a ton of money. So that money can be used to pay the athlete's salary. With larger schools, revenue from sports could even be used to endow scholarships for non-athletes, should the university choose to do so.

I’m not disagreeing with you here but it’s my opinion what you’re describing is the death of major college sports as we know it. Sounds more like a semi-pro like arrangement, sad.

I can’t speak for other schools but I believe NU‘s athletic department already funds an endowment for non-athletic scholarships.

I for one hope your example never materializes, we’ll have to see how everything shakes out in relation to NIL over the course of the next few years.

I’m not disagreeing with you here but it’s my opinion what you’re describing is the death of major college sports as we know it. Sounds more like a semi-pro like arrangement, sad.

I can’t speak for other schools but I believe NU‘s athletic department already funds an endowment for non-athletic scholarships.

I for one hope your example never materializes, we’ll have to see how everything shakes out in relation to NIL over the course of the next few years.
I believe college sports are already in their death throes. The question is, how does it look after the funeral?

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back