• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Let's Talk Wisconsin...

One Hit Wonder

Recruit
2 Year Member
Paul Chryst is in his 5th year at Wisconsin and this is the same Wisconsin team we have seen over the past 5 years - in every way. I will go out on a limb and say Chyrst probably doesn’t care too much for Scott Frost and he will do everything in his power to beat the ever living snot out of the Huskers on Saturday. Now that the pleasantries have concluded, let’s move on to the scouting report.

Offense
Wisconsin runs a Power Pro-style offense which is built to control the clock. They are methodical in their approach and will dink & dunk and only go tempo when the need arises. They attempt to grind it out and wear down defenses by utilizing an effective running game and then throwing it with disguised packages when defenses are looking for the run. Although the QB will line up in the gun, he is under center the majority of the time and they will line up in a single back set or the I-formation with a fullback. However, a lot of their alignments are utilized to disguise; force the flow and create running lanes. I know it sounds so elementary but it is what it is and that is Wisconsin’s offense.

QB
He isn’t flashy but he is efficient. #17 Jack Coan (6' 3" 221lbs) has 1,662 yards passing at 73% with only 3 INTs. He also isn’t much of a runner but Wisconsin has several designed zone read plays and the staff will occasionally give him the green light to do the quick math at the line (pre-snap) and decide to run or hand-off. In some instances there is the RPO factor.

RB
We all know who he is and what he can do: #23 Jonathan Taylor (5' 11" 219lbs). However, there are a couple of younger guys that are worth keeping an eye on but the one that really has my attention is freshman #14 Nakia Watson (5' 11" 229lbs). He’s a big kid that runs low to the ground and will initiate contact. Oh and Wisconsin will use a fullback – especially when they start to go for the jugular. This all sounds so familiar – not sure where I’ve heard this before. NOTE: Wisconsin’s RBs have caught 41 balls out of the backfield.

WR
This isn’t the fastest group of receivers Nebraska will face but they have good hands; are smart and run very good routes. I would describe them as possession guys but they all block very well. #87 Quintez Cephus (6' 1" 207lbs) has the most receptions and yards of the group. However, I still believe #4 A.J. Taylor (5' 11" 200lbs) is one of the better WRs in the group. NOTE: The WRs have run the ball 16 times for 201 yards – many carries coming on the jet sweep.

Tight End
Injuries have hit the TE position hard but #84 Jake Ferguson (6' 5" 246lbs) has played very well with 23 catches and 264 yards. NOTE: Ferguson has been the only TE to catch a ball.

O-Line
The center and tackles have started every game. #60 Logan Bruss (6' 5" 310lbs) at right tackle; #71 Cole Van Lanen (6' 5" 312lbs) at left tackle; and #61 Tyler Biadasz (6' 3" 321lbs) at center. These guys aren’t the biggest in college football but they really know how to set their base; maintain a good center of gravity and really know how to use their arms and hands. Wisconsin has used four different guys at the guard position. Sometimes they flip from one side to the other and I haven’t figured it all out completely, so perhaps Wisconsin is trying to determine the best combination of skills and chemistry. Is it something Nebraska can key on? Probably not but I notice things like that.

Defense
Wisconsin runs the 34 base – same as Nebraska. A lot of people aren’t convinced with the 34 but it can be effective as hell – as long as you have the right guys with a blue collar mentality that understand their assignments. They don’t have a bunch of 4 and 5-star guys that want to be super stars; they simply pin their ears back and go. If you take away the Illinois (141) and Ohio St (264) rushing yards, this defense gives up 53 yards a game on the ground. NOTE: 10 of the 16 turnovers (8 fumbles and 8 INTs) created by Wisconsin’s defense came in three games: South Florida, Michigan and Northwestern.

D-Line
The two best guys on the line are the defensive ends; #92 Matt Henningsen (6' 3" 286lbs) and #97 Isaiahh Loudermilk (6' 7" 293lbs). The problem for Wisconsin – they have one guy lining up at the nose, true freshman #95 Keeanu Benton (6' 4" 315lbs). NOTE: Wisconsin has only three (3) nose tackles on their roster. One is injured and supposedly won’t play and the other has only played a handful of snaps in his entire career.

LBs
This is the meat and potatoes of the defense. In the middle is #57 Jack Sanborn (6' 2" 232lbs) – he leads the team in tackles and next to him is # 54 Chris Orr (6' 0" 224lbs) – second on the team in tackles. On the outside is # 56 Zack Baun (6' 3" 235lbs) – third on the team in tackles and finally, #41 Noah Burks (6' 2" 240lbs) – fifth on the team in tackles. Depth is lacking but these four can go all day. NOTE: Of the 17 linebackers listed on Wisconsin’s roster – 10 are freshmen and sophomores.

DBs
The secondary is where things get somewhat interesting for Wisconsin’s defense. 10 different starters have lined up with #25 Eric Burrell (6' 0" 195lbs) at safety and is fourth on the team in tackles and freshmen cornerback #2 Reggie Pearson (5' 10" 197lbs) have started 8 games each. #1 Faion Hicks (5' 10" 185lbs) has started 7 games at the other corner. The reason it is interesting is because seven other guys have started in the secondary. Part of that logic is because Wisconsin will frequently go with a few variations of the nickel due to the lack of depth at nose and to provide more run support. It sounds somewhat like a counter-intuitive strategy but it’s been effective until teams realized they can run some misdirection, stretch and stretch counter to get to the second level.

Special Teams & Kickers
#19 Collin Larsh (5' 10" 184lbs) is 40 of 41 on XPs but only 7 of 12 on FGs and their punter is average. WR # 1 Aron Cruickshank (5' 9" 161lbs) is fast and sees the field very well on kick-off returns.

What am I going to watch?

On offense:

Does the offense have any playmakers? If I see balls thrown in the dirt at or behind the LOS, I’m going to pull my hair out. Will Martinez be fluid and want to run or will they continue to smash that round peg into the square drop-back hole? Will it be helpful for the offense going against a 34 D it sees every day in practice? Wisconsin’s defense is effective because it forces teams to become one-dimensional. Can Nebraska mix it up enough to put Wisconsin's D into an uncomfortable position?

The misdirection needs to be effective but they also need to get the TE in space to keep the linebackers honest. Nebraska needs to do what Wisconsin does and that is to roll-out the QB on counters; take pressure off the O-line and get the QB in space and away from the pressure which can freeze the safeties and buy himself some time. Quick passes but not the WR-stop-turn-catch and turn to try to run. That is a turnover waiting to happen. Patterns that hit them in stride can create the speed mismatches.

Spotlight players:
The O-line and play calling come to mind. Whoever lines up at RB needs to be deliberate and smash the gaps… dancing around isn’t going to cut it. Wisconsin’s defense creates windows, which in theory would mean the TE and WRs could get their opportunity. But the wheel routes can be deadly IF the play calling is managed properly.

Nebraska on Defense:

All 11 guys need to get off blocks; they can’t allow themselves to stay engaged. Taylor will be a handful but Wisconsin will use him as a decoy and it’s very effective. One of the things they like to do is run counter with the QB rolling out to strength. Wisconsin has a tendency fan their strength-side tackle and guard to create a wall. It does two things, 1) it makes the defense think the play is to the strong side and gets strength moving that way, but 2) the RB or TE will slip out to the flat on the weak side. The WR will also run a delayed out. He will essentially look like he’s blocking down and then release to the flat. Whoever is on the weak side needs to immediately recognize the open flat, otherwise it’s an easy pass and catch.

As I said earlier, Coan (QB) isn’t much of a runner but if the defense gets hyper-focused on stopping Taylor, Coan will be able zone-read-hold and walk for 10 yards before he is touched. Wisconsin likes to pull their O-Line and if the straight dives and off-tackle runs aren’t working, they will pull a combo of center/tackle or guard/tackle. Again, the defense can’t lose sight of the weak side contain because Wisconsin likes to line up in the I-formation or single back set with the QB in the gun and run a delayed counter. Of course we all know Wisconsin likes to use the jet sweep. Speaking of the weak-side, Wisconsin will run their WR in motion to run a possible jet sweep. However, if Wisconsin is overloaded to one side and the RB is dotting in the "I", the jet sweep can quickly be turned into a zone read counter by the RB and there will be a lot of real estate out on the weak side.

Well, why can’t Nebraska’s defense do what Northwestern or Michigan St did v. Wisconsin? Nebraska has better players, right? Yes but they aren’t disciplined. If Chin can spy Taylor; man-up hard on the WRs and TE, it allows for an extra safety or LB to patrol. They don’t need to blitz rush much in this game. Coan has shown a tendency to make bad throws with minimal pressure which is why the roll him out. Wisconsin won’t line up 5-wide and throw it down the field because that isn’t their M.O. but they will do it once or twice to keep the defense honest. Many of their alignments are about creating open lanes because Taylor can out-run or run over 1-on-1 match-ups.

Spotlight players:
Anyone that gets in front of a ball carrier needs to be head up, hit low & wrap and take them to the ground. Whoever is on the weak side of any play – STAY HOME and play contain. Don’t allow yourselves to get sucked inside because it will be a long afternoon if they do.

My thoughts…
Defensively, discipline and communication are absolutely huge in this game. Wisconsin isn’t Ohio St but they have the guys in their system that knows how to play their system. If the D can be somewhat effective in keeping Taylor to modest numbers, gain a turnover or two and force Wisconsin to throw, it may turn into a lower scoring game and Nebraska would have a fighter’s chance. I’m really surprised the line is Wisconsin -14 and unfortunately, I just don’t see it being that close. Wisconsin controls the clock and Nebraska’s defense hasn’t controlled much of anything. Couple that with an ineffective offense and I believe it could be a long and disappointing afternoon.

Final Score:
41 – Wisconsin

17 - Nebraska

Game 10
1st
2nd
3rd
4th
F
Wisconsin
14​
6​
14​
7​
41​
Nebraska
3​
7​
0​
7​
17​

And as always, the information contained herein was written by me and was derived from sources I deem reliable. I perform the research, establish opinions and devise analysis of my own accord and any language that appears to be similar in form and/or content from another published source is purely coincidental. The majority of the team and player data, performance information and statistics are obtained from individual university websites, ncaa.com, Sports-Reference.com, ESPN.com and game film from YouTube.com and hudl.com.

shoulder tackles have been the m o of the nebraska defense this year, watch for taylor breaking those waltz tackles for big yardage after first contact. if am2 tries to be a pocket passer again we may score 0.

Simply put, Taylor has 470 rushing yards in 49 carries in the past two games, if he continues to average 9.6 yards a carry it won't be close.

Being disciplined on the weak side and not allowing themselves to get sucked up into a play or being too locked onto JT is a big one. Then again, if you don't slow down #23, it's going to be a long morning/afternoon. Can it be done? Absolutely. Do I have confidence that it will be done? Not exactly.

I keep waiting for that ‘AH-HA!’ Effort that makes me think we’ve turned a corner.....and I don’t expect to see it this week. For the fourth or fifth time this year, I don’t like anything about this game. I’m with you in that if the ‘same old same old’ shows up for Nebraska, the 14 pound spread might be tripled. Fix some things on both sides of the ball and this could be a game into the second half. Could be. My gut tells me your 41-17 prediction is closer than the game will be and we’ll be wondering what we’ll see the following week against Maryland.

Having freshman Chris Hickman at 6’6” 215, who has apparently moved from TE to WR, matched up against Wisconsin’s diminutive corners (each 5’10”) in either blocking or receiving is an intriguing side note to this game. Frost has said that he might be our best perimeter blocker makes me think we’re trying to improve the blocking on our perimeter screen game. I also like the idea of him running short and medium routes against their corners. I hope the bye week has provided an opportunity to do some coaching and make this match-up work at least a few times on Saturday.

I don’t know how fast he is, but I like big, agile guys lined up at WR. Hickman is certainly big and agile, anyway.

Well we beat Illinois who beat Wisc, thats good enough for me..WE made the Illinois game much closer than it needed to be. Wisc has the 2nd best total D in the country to OSU WE have our work cut out for us but heck, we are playing at home. WE have a offense that can drive them batty if Martinez steps up.

Last edited:
Why would Paul Chryst have a beef with Scott Frost again?

I wonder the same thing. I remember Chryst being caught on camera shouting “take that M********s” when they scored a TD against us last year. Maybe Chryst has to listen to Alvarez talk about how awesome frost is all day??

The only way it is close is if UW isn’t interested in playing football on Saturday.

Should we get dusted Saturday and then lose to Maryland I think we have a shot against Iowa.

I wonder the same thing. I remember Chryst being caught on camera shouting “take that M********s” when they scored a TD against us last year. Maybe Chryst has to listen to Alvarez talk about how awesome frost is all day??

Chryst and Mike Riley are friends, so I'm guessing it has to do with that.

Chryst also strikes me as a guy who'd be less than impressed with the whole 'They're going to have to adjust to us' thing.

I could definitely see Chryst just loathing the whole Scott Frost persona. As someone who coaches old school line up and push ‘em down football I don’t think he’s got much patience for the brash confidence that Frost brought with him from UCF. Chryst seems like a “respect is not given, it is earned” type of guys. I hate to say it but our boys I think are guilty of thinking they were owed something when they hadn’t put up jack.

As the season wears on think there’s been as much humble pie on the menu in Memorial Stadium as there has been Runza or Val’s. Which I honestly think was needed. This whole crew needs to but in the work and get better.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back