• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Let's put Mickey Joseph's staff together, shall we.

Except that he didn't come to Nebraska expecting/prepared to be head coach (interim or not). He's been at Nebraska for less than a year and is working with someone else's players and someone else's philosophy/system.
And we know zero about his ability to put together a philosophy/system. Even coordinators put together philosophies and systems to measure. He hasn’t even done that. We are needing a coach that has proven some type of ability that we can at least speculate on their capabilities.

Are we playing that much better? Let’s be truthful……every team is gonna get better as they get into the season. But we are playing just as sloppy and things like penalties, blocking and missed tackles are not getting better. Maybe worse. They should be getting naturally better just due to more games and practices.
OL is still a huge disaster but I think it's hard to say we aren't playing better. Do you think with Frost we win the 2 games we did?

Right, I don't see it happening.. but it is weird to me how fast people have jumped on his bandwagon, when in reality he hasn't done much of anything. The things he is doing, e.g. getting players to buy in, showing enthusiasm, is what coaches are supposed to do. I guess because Frost was so bad, now that we have a coach doing normal basic stuff, it is like a miracle has happened.
YARN | Lord, it's a miracle! | The Shawshank Redemption (1994) | Video gifs  by quotes | 4cc0a572 | 紗

C

OL is still a huge disaster but I think it's hard to say we aren't playing better. Do you think with Frost we win the 2 games we did?
It’s arguable that we are playing much better than would be expected from a mid season team to an early season team. Running game is no better and tackling is no better. We have played against some poor defenses. We averaged 6 penalties a game the first 3 games and 7.5 since. I can’t even imagine where we are at on missed tackles and pretty sure our blocking hasn’t improved.

My point is we can get as excited as we want about sideline and locker room excitement after a win but it doesn’t seem the basic things we need our coaches to get our players to do has improved at a rate any better than you could expect from any team improving as the season progresses.

Last edited:

Mickey's disadvantage is he is handcuffed with coaches he didn't hire, players he didn't recruit, and no offseason in which to prepare. The team is playing better, but is still a disaster. How much credit/blame does he get? I feel confident in saying this team as is would be sitting at 5 wins right now if he had taken over in August.

Right, I don't see it happening.. but it is weird to me how fast people have jumped on his bandwagon, when in reality he hasn't done much of anything. The things he is doing, e.g. getting players to buy in, showing enthusiasm, is what coaches are supposed to do. I guess because Frost was so bad, now that we have a coach doing normal basic stuff, it is like a miracle has happened.
It's the Nebraska sentimental hire curse.

Looks good and Vance would be an incredible addition.

However, I always worry about hiring buddies or family members. If they aren't getting it done, is the HC ready to fire them? It has to be a concern.

We're not playing better enough to win 3 more games, for sure. Winning 3 more would be meaningful because it would mean we've also seen a big improvement in play. But I just think it's very unlikely.

The most likely single scenario imo is we play like we have been and lose the next two and Trev hires someone else the week after that. But who knows?

Reactions: Yep

Looks good and Vance would be an incredible addition.

However, I always worry about hiring buddies or family members. If they aren't getting it done, is the HC ready to fire them? It has to be a concern.
Except Vance and Terry Joseph are proven and experienced coaches. Hopefully he wouldn't have to fire them

Reactions: Yep

Bret Bielema thinks we're playing better according to his statements.
Like him or not, he knows football better than the fans.
Unless.....it was just a diabolical head fake to make us feel better about our chances.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back