• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Let’s be clear on our losses

Each week this season, I have seen the team take steps forward mentally that shows up more and more. It wasn't the whole team at once. It was certain players...then certain position groups...and it starts to spread to more on the team and eventually it becomes ingrained.

It was seen in the game against Northwestern with a team that finally put its foot on the opponent, held em down, and twisted. Then against Michigan, another step in the right direction. There was no puckering at all...despite the deficit...the calls bouncing the other direction.

The thing with improving mentally...there are no shortcuts. Shortcuts are the flash in the pan upsets. The mental improvements being seen that the team is experiencing are the kinds that become deeply rooted within a team's psyche.

Football at Nebraska is going to be plenty of fun to watch. Enjoy this journey.

Last edited:
I like that quote but also a realist. Wins and losses absolutely matter. SF will lose his job if he doesn’t start getting the wins. However you first need a team to consistently perform well to get those wins. We hadn’t seen that through 3.2 years of his career here. Now we are at least seeing more consistent play. That had to come first. Wins will come after that.
I'm with you, Hville. We need to see some wins, and I think they're coming. I know that Illinois game was a turd, but Nebraska has looked pretty good in every other game since then. You have to think that a little bit different schedule would have resulted in a better overall record, but we are where we are.

I think that people believe there's a destination without considering the journey. I'm trying to look at things as an ongoing journey that may never have a final destination. There will ALWAYS be ways to evolve and improve... and that progress isn't always linear.

After the letdown against OU, I didn't know how we'd respond against MSU. After we lost that heartbreaker, I thought we'd be primed for a letdown against Northwestern. After we blew them out, I thought maybe we'd be out of gas against Michigan. After we fell behind and had a couple of questionable calls go against us, I thought maybe we'd crumble.

This team has responded every time. Every. Single. Time. And while we haven't quite seen the wins materialize, it does appear that we're finally on the right path in this journey.

Aside from the season opener, I think I've enjoyed this season more than any other season in quite a while.

Last edited:

When Clifford got hurt the PSU offense went into a funk. I believe had he played the entire game PSU would have won that game by double digits. Oh well ya gotta have luck and IA sure as hell seems to catch a lot breaks including their Big schedule.
Can’t believe Franklin didnt have a high qualified, experienced backup QB in the wings! What terrible roster managment! And the false starts, they should fire their offensive line coach!

sarcasm admitted.

it is funny how a loud road environment will cause false starts/illegal motion. I’d like to see the stat for our line penalties home versus away. Look at Michigan they had several and it wasn’t Luke’s clapping ;) . PSU QB Levis transferred to Kentucky and McCaffrey to Louisville/Rice. Both coaches stick with what they had in the wings. It happens to the best of coaches and you can see their logic for it. That said PSU lost the Big game because of it and for us hopefully Martinez stays healthy.

Last edited:
I'm with you, Hville. We need to see some wins, and I think they're coming. I know that Illinois game was a turd, but Nebraska has looked pretty good in every other game since then. You have to think that a little bit different schedule would have resulted in a better overall record, but we are where we are.

I think that people believe there's a destination without considering the journey. I'm trying to look at things as an ongoing journey that may never have a final destination. There will ALWAYS be ways to evolve and improve... and that progress isn't always linear.

After the letdown against OU, I didn't know how we'd respond against MSU. After we lost that heartbreaker, I thought we'd be primed for a letdown against Northwestern. After we blew them out, I thought maybe we'd be out of gas against Michigan. After we fell behind and had a couple of questionable calls go against us, I thought maybe we'd crumble.

This team has responded every time. Every. Single. Time. And while we haven't quite seen the wins materialize, it does appear that we're finally on the right path in this journey.

Aside from the season opener, I think I've enjoyed this season more than any other season in quite a while.
Well said. We just played 3 top ten teams, and it went down to the wire for each one. We essentially had each one beaten, and only lost because of last minute mistakes.

Its mind boggling that some people can't see how much of an improvement that is over recent years.

Yet many seem to STILL want to consider the possibility that Frost could be fired at end of season, depending on outcome of rest of games.

SRSLY? We are "this close" to where we want to be, and some still want to consider another reset could be just around the corner? :Facepalm:
Some people won't be happy unless perfection is achieved, I guess.

...Regardless of your feeling towards SF … the decision to retain or fire him has NOTHING to do with the situations surrounding BP or FS.
wasn't comparing them... the reference had to do with metrics aside from "moral victories" & somewhat of a rhetorical question - like W/L total or win pct, which have been high in the past yet STILL not good enough - simply alluding to there being more to evaluate than just winning perhaps?

I like that quote but also a realist. Wins and losses absolutely matter. SF will lose his job if he doesn’t start getting the wins. However you first need a team to consistently perform well to get those wins. We hadn’t seen that through 3.2 years of his career here. Now we are at least seeing more consistent play. That had to come first. Wins will come after that.
I'm reading between the lines here but I think that the reason Trev Alberts said the improvements in the team would be incremental before the OU game is because he knows this team needs to learn how to win. There clearly has been improvement, no reasonable fan can deny that. They really just need to make a play at the end of games under crunch time - there is a lot to be said for confidence vs. fear of failure at the end of the game. That's why I liked what Frost said - he felt that we knew we were going to win when went out for that final drive. He hasn't said that before.

Well said. We just played 3 top ten teams, and it went down to the wire for each one. We essentially had each one beaten, and only lost because of last minute mistakes.

Its mind boggling that some people can't see how much of an improvement that is over recent years.

Yet many seem to STILL want to consider the possibility that Frost could be fired at end of season, depending on outcome of rest of games.

SRSLY? We are "this close" to where we want to be, and some still want to consider another reset could be just around the corner? :Facepalm:
Some people won't be happy unless perfection is achieved, I guess.
Okay let's take each of the highlighted statements in order because they are the summation of this thread.
1. Played three top ten teams close: Wow, have you forgotten when were we "Nebraska", say 1971 and beat three top ten teams to finish number 1? When it was uncommon to lose to a top ten team except Oklahoma, or maybe Colorado?

And now the fan base is supposed to swallow the notion that after a 4 YEAR REBUILD, being close to winning is a major improvement!

2. Close to where we want to be: May I remind you that as recently as 2014 we were winning at least 9 games EVERY YEAR. Yes, many hoped for more from Bo, but he did not have three straight and likely four losing season, the worst record since Bill Jennings!

3. "Perfection": No, just like to see something other than Bill Jennings level performance! Scott has the second worst record in the history of this university covering more than 100 proud years of performance.

No coach in NCAA history has had four straight losing seasons and been brought back for a fifth year except, wait for it.........Bill Jennings!

If Mel Tucker can turn the MSU Spartans around to 6-0 in his second year (using the transfer portal), if the woeful Mike Riley can go 9-4 and a bowl game as a HC, then you CAN NOT justify returning Scott to the HC position at DONU after 4 straight losing seasons.

Okay let's take each of the highlighted statements in order because they are the summation of this thread.
1. Played three top ten teams close: Wow, have you forgotten when were we "Nebraska", say 1971 and beat three top ten teams to finish number 1? When it was uncommon to lose to a top ten team except Oklahoma, or maybe Colorado?
I didn't forget.
That was then. This is now.

And now the fan base is supposed to swallow the notion that after a 4 YEAR REBUILD, being close to winning is a major improvement!
Reality can be hard to to swallow, but its where we are.

2. Close to where we want to be: May I remind you that as recently as 2014 we were winning at least 9 games EVERY YEAR. Yes, many hoped for more from Bo, but he did not have three straight and likely four losing season, the worst record since Bill Jennings!
Is there another definition of "close"?
If they keep playing as hard as they have been, and make just 1 or 2 fewer mistakes, the wins will come.

3. "Perfection": No, just like to see something other than Bill Jennings level performance! Scott has the second worst record in the history of this university covering more than 100 proud years of performance.

No coach in NCAA history has had four straight losing seasons and been brought back for a fifth year except, wait for it.........Bill Jennings!
I never watched Bill Jennings teams.
Have you? If not, then you are only making simplistic comparisons without any context. I get it. Its easy.

If Mel Tucker can turn the MSU Spartans around to 6-0 in his second year (using the transfer portal),
I am disappointed and perplexed that other schools seem to have success sooner with new coaches, and don't understand why its such a struggle for Nebraska

if the woeful Mike Riley can go 9-4 and a bowl game as a HC, then you CAN NOT justify returning Scott to the HC position at DONU after 4 straight losing seasons.
Sure you can. You just don't want to.

Last edited:

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back