• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Leipold

He'd be way down my list and would be a plan C at best. Put up the money and get a proven P5 coach that has consistently won at this level. Don't do another experiment. Make sure this guy has won for more than 1 season at the P5 level, is proven recruiter and CEO type. We are racking in over 100M a year now of BIG money.......spend the cash and go with a proven winner at the P5 level.

I didn't realize he was at UNO as a coach. His time didn't overlap with Trev fwiw.

His record is crazy good.

Leipold reached 100 victories faster than any coach in NCAA history, doing so in his 106th game on October 18, 2014. This broke the previous mark of 108 games set by Gil Dobie in 1921.[2]

He might be my top pick.
At this point he is not anywhere close to our top pick. I would not even go far enough to say he is good.

He'd be way down my list and would be a plan C at best. Put up the money and get a proven P5 coach that has consistently won at this level. Don't do another experiment. Make sure this guy has won for more than 1 season at the P5 level, is proven recruiter and CEO type. We are racking in over 100M a year now of BIG money.......spend the cash and go with a proven winner at the P5 level.
Do the analysis on that and who do you come up with that would realistically leave their current school? That's not a knock on Nebraska, but the guys who are consistent P5 winners are mostly entrenched or several just got to their schools. And how do you define "consistently"- 3years, 4 yrs, 5+ years as a P5 head coach? Even smaller pool.

B1G- Day, Harbaugh, Franklin, Tucker, PJ, Christ, Ferentz
SEC- Saban, Smart, Stoops(?), Fisher
ACC- Swinney, Doeren(?), Narduzzi(?), Mack Brown(?), Christobal
Big 12- Gundy, Campbell(?), UT and OU coaches just got their gigs and aren't moving.
PAC- Lincoln Riley just got to SC. Is there any other consistent, proven P5 winner in that entire conference?

Cincinnati isn't P5 yet so Fickell is out. You're down to about 5 dudes who might listen. Realistically its probably 3 - Doeren, Narduzzi, Campbell. Solid guys, but none are sure things.

That always sounds good, but the reality is, its a very small pool of consistent winners who are ready to jump ship. USC got Riley to jump from OU and LSU got Kelly to jump from ND. Oregon took a chance on Dan Lanning, it may or may not work out. Saban or Meyer are probably the only two that would come close to being a sure thing at Nebraska (and we know at least one of them isn't coming).

There is no easy button and no "can't miss". Trev just has to turn over every stone to find the right guy. The next great coach is where you find him- P5 HC or coordinator, G5 HC, etc. Trev, as he alluded to in his presser, has alot of work to do and a ton of folks to talk to.

EDIT: Huge miss on my part to leave out Aranda from the Big 12. He'd likely listen. Doesn't change my overall point that Trev can't limit his search.

Last edited:
Do the analysis on that and who do you come up with that would realistically leave their current school? That's not a knock on Nebraska, but the guys who are consistent P5 winners are mostly entrenched or several just got to their schools. And how do you define "consistently"- 3years, 4 yrs, 5+ years as a P5 head coach? Even smaller pool.

B1G- Day, Harbaugh, Franklin, Tucker, PJ, Christ, Ferentz
SEC- Saban, Smart, Stoops(?), Fisher
ACC- Swinney, Doeren(?), Narduzzi(?), Mack Brown(?), Christobal
Big 12- Gundy, Campbell(?), UT and OU coaches just got their gigs and aren't moving.
PAC- Lincoln Riley just got to SC. Is there any other consistent, proven P5 winner in that entire conference?

Cincinnati isn't P5 yet so Fickell is out. You're down to about 5 dudes who might listen. Realistically its probably 3 - Doeren, Narduzzi, Campbell. Solid guys, but none are sure things.

That always sounds good, but the reality is, its a very small pool of consistent winners who are ready to jump ship. USC got Riley to jump from OU and LSU got Kelly to jump from ND. Oregon took a chance on Dan Lanning, it may or may not work out. Saban or Meyer are probably the only two that would come close to being a sure thing at Nebraska (and we know at least one of them isn't coming).

There is no easy button and no "can't miss". Trev just has to turn over every stone to find the right guy. The next great coach is where you find him- P5 HC or coordinator, G5 HC, etc. Trev, as he alluded to in his presser, has alot of work to do and a ton of folks to talk to.
gundy isnt leaving, its his alma mater and boon pickens is dead.

If the Huskers have a 59 year old head coach next fall (LL) it’s very unlikely to be one with a career losing record in P5 (LL) and FBS (LL). He may turn out to be a good coach for KU in a few years I can’t see him at NU.

Last edited:

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back