• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Left cable, went to streaming?

after 30+ years, quit cable a year ago & absolutely lovin it... (feels like a support group introduction - cable anonymous - been cable free for over a year now :Biggrin: )

Anyway... we've relied on Youtube TV (+Netflix & Prime), ...recently (xmas) our daughter got Hulu (we share a login) - plenty of variety + sports. All at an annual fraction of what cable used to cost (equivalent to a couple months of CATV :Mad:).

I also use a Roku for my old (non smart) TV in the basement & actually get a lot of local channels & networks on there for free (no monthly fee - just a one time $29 purchase)

We got rid of both DirectTV and our home phone a couple weeks ago. We were paying almost $200/month.

We have Roko stick and just signed up for AT&T streaming. Pay about $50 month for five devices. So far it's been great. Chose them because they offer the BIG network and the Science Channel (my white noise at night - tinitus sucks).

We also use Amazon streaming thru prime and my daughter has netflix, son has the whole disney package and a few other things we all share.

I resisted for years because "change sucks" and I frankly wasn't interested enough to research all of this. My daughter-in-law and kids moved in while my son is deployed for the year, so they've drug me kicking and screaming into this brave new world. Of course my tv watching is <2 hrs/wk until football season begins, so...

I save over $100/Month by bailing on Dish and going to Youtube TV. Highly recommend it. Unlimited DVR, all the channels guys like us need. The feature of "Catching up to live with highlights" on games that are recorded is awesome. You can put "NCAA Football" in your DVR library and it will record every one that is televised. I'm extremely happy with the quality of streaming etc...

Tried Hulu for 30 days, just wasn't happy with it. Quality of streaming and the way the channel guide was set up was quirky.

I completely concur.

Also do some research on some of your other services. With my AT&T wireless plan I was able to activate HBO Max bundled in my existing plan. If you have Prime, you get a good amount of streaming content.

When a show I want to watch is on something like CBS All Access I will wait until all the episodes have aired, then I add it under a first month offer and binge watch it. They then always offer a come back offer to try it for free again.

Definitely feel like I’ve saved some $$, but I also think as more channels launch their own devices, it’s creeping back up

Did the free week with Hulu live +.

Would have kept it, but if you pause live t.v., you can't rewind unless it's back to the beginning. Also had some buffering issues with only one t.v. in operation.

Guess I'm spoiled.

Did the free week with Hulu live +.

Would have kept it, but if you pause live t.v., you can't rewind unless it's back to the beginning. Also had some buffering issues with only one t.v. in operation.

Guess I'm spoiled.
You are correct. The rewinding issue was a deal breaker for me too. I also had some streaming issues.

I went with YouTube TV as well. Saving $100+ per month, and still get nearly all the channels I had before.

only downside is that one TV in the house experiences lots of buffering issues. Surprisingly, it’s the newest TV we own, a Samsung. Other, older Samsung’s are working just fine.

I barely watch any TV and would just like to be able to watch footall games and maybe some volleyball. I signed up for HULU + and then they immediately upped their rates. Looks like I need to check out Youtube TV. Thanks for everyone with insight!

I dropped DirecTV three years ago and picked up YouTube TV back when it was only $35/mo. About a year ago, I jumped over to Hulu+ instead because they had A&E and I liked LivePD. Then the riots over Summer 2020 caused Cops and LivePD to be dropped, and then Hulu+ jumped in price in Dec 2020, matching YouTube TV now. I'll probably go back to YouTube TV at some point, but unless it's football season, I barely watch it. Went and got a 55-mile antenna from Walmart ($35) and pick up around 25 over-the-air channels as well. I built an over-the-air DVR when I dropped DirecTV, but even that I don't think I need anymore.

Mainly, I watch YouTube content. The creators update regularly, and the subscription w/notifications works decently enough for most (but not all) of the creators. I guess I don't watch too much TV anymore.

Also check out Plex.tv. I used the free version for years, then back in 2017 I got an offer from them for 50% off their lifetime membership rate. Paid $75 for it, and it is awesome. Last year they added podcasts and a live TV line up as well.

You can also check out Tubi, Stirr for free TV apps (like on Roku).

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back