• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Left cable, went to streaming?

Power of Corn

Scout Team
10 Year Member
Im sure there are some folks here who have left cable services, and gone to exclusively streaming offerings.

I have prime, and Netlflix, in addition to my Spectrum cable, but the cable bill is just growing, and growing,
and actually offers more and more, but the offerings are just crap actually. I would need all the sports pkgs, plus
some news pkgs, but no more than about 12-14 channels do I ever watch, the other 200 are pretty worthless.

I saw paramount, and disney and hulu, have channels with stuff, but im kinda uninformed as to whats out there.

It appears that tv is going ala carte, and will be pared down quite a bit in the next few years, with only the strong
surviving. There will be quite a bit of merging going on with smaller channels.

Any help from some of you who do have this, and if its worth it. ??? I dont think its worth the change to
me to save 13$ per month, but if someone is saving 50$ per month, well now that gets my attn.

I save over $100/Month by bailing on Dish and going to Youtube TV. Highly recommend it. Unlimited DVR, all the channels guys like us need. The feature of "Catching up to live with highlights" on games that are recorded is awesome. You can put "NCAA Football" in your DVR library and it will record every one that is televised. I'm extremely happy with the quality of streaming etc...

Tried Hulu for 30 days, just wasn't happy with it. Quality of streaming and the way the channel guide was set up was quirky.

I'm in a rural area and have a "low-end" DSL. Do I need a high speed DSL or internet connection to utilize Youtube TV, Hulu, etc.? Presently have DishTV and on Febr 5th I found DishTV had moved my location to the Cheyenne WY region, therefore no NETV sports, as in Husker VB or anything from NETV. That's a huge reason to drop Dish but I need an intelligent alternative. Any options for me? thanks

Another new service just started in January, Discovery+. It has channels that are in the Discovery family - American Heroes Channel, Animal Planet, A&E, Cooking Channel, Destination America, Discovery, Discovery Life, DIY Network, Food Network, HGTV, History Channel, Lifetime, ID (Investigation Discovery), Magnolia Network (Preview), OWN, Planet Earth (from the BBC), Science, TLC, and Travel Channel.

What is annoying to me is that now many shows on these channels do not show new content. It is only available via streaming, which for me right now is on my laptop. I don't have a compatible Samsung tv right now. Plus the other annoyance is that I have the Cox streaming player that I cannot use either. Although, Cox does have the Peacock, Amazon Prime and Netflix apps available.

I am still using Directv, but it keeps going up so I am exploring options as well. Thanks for starting this thread Power of Corn!

Not sure if that is helpful, but that is my 2 pennies.

Good Luck!

i dropped my cable 2 weeks ago. been fine w/o it. i have regular youtube content thats free. plenty of interest channels and hidden fact is most shows publish their stuff online after their showing. there are tons of content out there for free, its just not in a schedule format that you expect with cable tv. i do have over the air tv as well, thats how i watched the superbowl. outside of those 2 things i've been developing a hobby of doing other things that are not connected to the tv or electronic devices. i probably will get youtubeTV when college football rolls around but i have no plans to get any streaming services like disney+ or espn+.

I save over $100/Month by bailing on Dish and going to Youtube TV. Highly recommend it. Unlimited DVR, all the channels guys like us need. The feature of "Catching up to live with highlights" on games that are recorded is awesome. You can put "NCAA Football" in your DVR library and it will record every one that is televised. I'm extremely happy with the quality of streaming etc...

Tried Hulu for 30 days, just wasn't happy with it. Quality of streaming and the way the channel guide was set up was quirky.
This is exactly what I would say. Totally concur with what @hskrdavey said.

I'm in a rural area and have a "low-end" DSL. Do I need a high speed DSL or internet connection to utilize Youtube TV, Hulu, etc.? Presently have DishTV and on Febr 5th I found DishTV had moved my location to the Cheyenne WY region, therefore no NETV sports, as in Husker VB or anything from NETV. That's a huge reason to drop Dish but I need an intelligent alternative. Any options for me? thanks
You would have to check your Internet speeds from your DSL for streaming service. I googled this >

Recommended internet speeds for streaming
In general, to stream most videos in standard definition, you'll need internet speeds of at least 3 Mbps. You need at least 25 Mbps for 4K streaming video on your computer or Ultra HD enabled devices.

if you have the speed I recommend youtubetv

Last edited:

You would have to check your Internet speeds from your DSL for streaming service. I googled this >

Recommended internet speeds for streaming
In general, to stream most videos in standard definition, you'll need internet speeds of at least 3 Mbps. You need at least 25 Mbps for 4K streaming video on your computer or Ultra HD enabled devices.

if you have the speed I recommend youtubetv
True on the speed. We just got back from Phoenix for a month. Took my Chromecast and watched my Youtube TV there. They only had 20 Mbps and while it buffered for a few seconds to start shows, it was still plenty speed to stream everything.

Cut cable over 3 years ago. Was a great decision. We have an HD digital antenna and an AppleTV. Our rule is only one streaming service a month. We usually wait until there are a number of shows we want to watch on a service and then binge the month on that service, then pause. Doing that we usually pay about 9 to 13 a month for streaming service. We do 300M internet for our business (that runs out of our home) and we also have Prime (which we leverage pretty hard on the shipping, books, audiobooks, music, and movies).

Outside of paid streaming services I have a number of YouTube channels I watch with ads...

First, get your plan together. For instance, YouTubeTV or Hulu (or Fubo or etc), streaming devices if needed. Agree with 25 Mbps internet minimum.

Second, call Spectrum and try to cancel your TV plan. Chance are, they will give you a 12 month promotional price. If so, then stay with them. If not, go with YouTubeTV or Hulu. With cable TV anymore, part of the deal is calling once a year to re-up on a promotional rate. Otherwise, they are simply overpriced.

A couple things to remember. YouTubeTV - best channel selection but only 3 TV/devices at one time. Hulu - not quite as good channel lineup (but still solid) but can ante up for unlimited viewing devices/TVs.

It appeared at one point that streaming was going ala carte, but that hasn't happened. In fact, YouTubeTV and Hulu have done the opposite and strengthened their defined plan levels. Their prices have skyrocketed over the past 2 years as a result. That said, they are still significantly better than typical non-promotional cable rates. That's how ridiculous cable has become.

Last edited:
Dont watch much TV, dropped Great plains ($100/mth) went to HULU ($70/mth, up from $55in dec). Will probably try something else soon.

I dropped Dish and went to YouTube TV last year... and it's been great.

I use a Fire Stick and have a handful of apps on it that have free TV.

Between Netflix (included with my TMobile plan), YouTube TV, free apps, Amazon Prime, and Disney+, I'm pretty much set. And all of that is still less than half of what I was paying for satellite.

I would suggest cutting cable and not getting any streaming service for a month or two just to de-toxic...

Thanks to OP for this post. I'm betting that over time there will be a lot of great information here that will save folks a lot of time. Maybe this would be a good STICKY?

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back