• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Least watched title game in 23 years

Lets put it another way. Comparing the unequal talent hoarded by the 6 or 7 (take your pick) top college programs to the NFL system. Even with equalizing talent fans were tired of the Pats being in so many SB's and yes it was affecting ratings. It was great for Pats fans (like me) but not so good for most of the other teams/fans in the NFL. However it was a lot of factors contributing to the Pats dominance not talent alone.

I submit Bama and a few other programs usually have such a huge talent advantage it's impossible for most teams to effectively compete with them. Those lessor teams are really beat before taking the field. That's not true in the NFL because on any given Sunday division leaders are beaten by so called lessor teams. There's only a very marginal talent gap between most NFL teams as opposed to what's happened in college football imo. Even the BEST NFL teams hardly ever go undefeated unlike what happens with college teams. The last NFL team to go undefeated and win the SB was Dolphins 48 years ago in 1972! Let that sink in as opposed to college ball. As a matter of fact the Dolphins are the ONLY NFL team to have ever accomplished that feat.

Bottom line I believe programs like Bama are destroying college football and it's only getting worse with the portal. I had to turn off the sound during the Bama-OSU as I was getting nauseous listen to the non stop gushing about Little Nick and Bama! I'm not the only college football fan absolutely worn out with seeing mostly the same teams year after year playing in the NC! It does reach the point where many fans simply no longer care to watch it. We have so called experts that make big money running college football and those people had better figure out how to start making it a lot more competive imo. If not there's going to less viewers each year.
Many experts are already picking Bama, Clemson, OSU and OK to make this year playoffs! :Puke:

While not completely the same, this is the same thing people said about a handful of programs in the 60s, 70s, and 80s.

I checked the score a couple of times on the intarwebs. Does that count?
Me too. We cut the cable years ago and don't get ESPN. Can't say that I miss it much. If Huskers are on ESPN, BTN or FSN we visit our daughter & son-in-laws. Of course there was that one game this season we were quarantined and had to sign up for a 7 day free trial to watch the Husker game.

While not completely the same, this is the same thing people said about a handful of programs in the 60s, 70s, and 80s.
I agree, but want to highlight the biggest difference. Historically, Oklahoma in the 50's is similar to Ala now. With one huge difference, ESPN. ESPN will do what is good for themselves and at the present time promoting the SEC and their marquee programs is financially good. ESPN is the driving force behind the inequity in college football. When that financial bottom line declines, change will occur. Another factor is the huge ego of the Big 10. If not for Ohio St. the Big 10 would be pushing for a change in the CFP. If the Big 10 goes two years without a representative in the CFP, which is bound to happen, we'll see a push for change. If I were the conferences without a chance in hell of being in the CFP, I'd band together for a lawsuit.

Actually, I take back what I said about fixing the NYE semifinal game issue. I thought I had read the schedule would be fixed so the semifinals wouldn't be played on NYE, but they will be for the 2021 and 2022 seasons. Unbelievably stupid. It's almost comical how badly this whole endeavor has been handled.
shocking how stupid 'smart' people are.

didn't realize it was on until well into the evening, said 'how bout that' and continued on with my evening not giving it another thought. espn and the likes have funneled everything that is into the top of college football that it is no longer watchable as a hole. i catch a nebraska game when i can and will continue to do say (regardless of record) until the B1G stops televising them, but i rarely watch another college football game. the product is poor and consumers are showing there lack of interest.

Unless they put rules in place, all an 8 team playoff will do is give the SEC/Big 10/Big 12 a second team in the playoff. So instead of Bama, Clemson, OSU, and OU every year, you'll have those 4 plus UGA, Penn St, Texas, and ND. Sounds fantastic.
agree, until it is realized that by kissing the asses of the same schools year in and year out, 17-18 year old kids will clamor for those schools only. even if they don't get offers to said schools, they will jump ship at the 1st opportunity (see transfer portal) to get to those schools. sure, putting every power 5 conference champ in the mix will result in some....blowouts. mixing other faces into the spotlight every year will gradually improve those other schools. if a kid is shown that there is more than 1 road, they may actually try it. outside the sec (along with OSU & clemson) theirs not much love to go around.

As a Nebraska fan, I'm girding my loins for the distinct possibility that the most exciting thing that can happen is beating Iowa.

Gird Up Your Loins: An Illustrated Guide | The Art of ...

:Giggle:

The only way I can see to "fix" it is to reduce scholarships at the P5 schools. I'm not entirely sure this would work, but at least in theory fewer scholarships would force 4 and 5 star kids to more schools simply because Alabama, tOSU and Clemson don't have a scholarship for them.

This is my thought as well. Bring it down to 55 and I would hope that would distribute 5 and 4 star players to more programs. Of course I could see the flip side of that where it is the lower rated players that get distributed out to the other schools and leaves the top teams with nothing but 5 and 4 star players.

C

This is my thought as well. Bring it down to 55 and I would hope that would distribute 5 and 4 star players to more programs. Of course I could see the flip side of that where it is the lower rated players that get distributed out to the other schools and leaves the top teams with nothing but 5 and 4 star players.

C
Something tells me that's probably what would happen making things even worse then now! (No. 1 Alabama, No. 2 Ohio State and No. 3 Georgia) signed a combined 15 of 34 five-star recruits. That's enough to make me :Puke:

Last edited:
Something tells me that's probably what would happen making things even worse then now! (No. 1 Alabama, No. 2 Ohio State and No. 3 Georgia) signed a combined 15 of 34 five-star recruits. That's enough to make me :Puke:

Hope in one hand and .... in the other. Not sure there can be a fix to add more parity like the NFL.

C

Until College Football has uniform recruiting and scholarship rules, the south will dominate. SEC recruiting and academic standards are a joke.

Ohio State is in the midst of a great run, but at some point they will hit a course correction. Its inevitable.

Sidebar: I am so tired of Chris Fowler and Kirk Herbsteit. Both are very mediocre announcers and their knowledge of football is poor. Neither have coached and both are nothing more than journalist. While this is true for some of the greatest announcers in the history of the game, at least Dick Enberg, Keith Jackson, Al Michaels, Brent Musberger, etc... all had exciting voices and dialogue. Hell, I'd take Sean McDonough, Brad Nessler, Joe Tessitor or Gus Johnson over Fowler and Herbstreit any day.

It all adds up to a big "yawn"

Last edited:
Until College Football has uniform recruiting and scholarship rules, the south will dominate. SEC recruiting and academic standards are a joke.

Ohio State is in the midst of a great run, but at some point they will hit a course correction. Its inevitable.

Sidebar: I am so tired of Chris Fowler and Kirk Herbsteit. Both are very mediocre announcers and their knowledge of football is poor. Neither have coached and both are nothing more than journalist. While this is true for some of the greatest announcers in the history of the game, at least Dick Enberg, Keith Jackson, Al Michaels, Brent Musberger, etc... all had exciting voices and dialogue. Hell, I'd take Sean McDonough, Brad Nessler, Joe Tessitor or Gus Johnson over Fowler and Herbstreit any day.

It all adds up to a big "yawn"

Chris is so poor at play by play. I understand it is TV but you still need to do play by play calling. I have watched a QB take the snap, drop back, throw or hand off, WR/RB run for some gain or get stopped and he does not say more than a couple words when the play ends with something like "Adam Taylor for 5 yard gain." Sounds like two color guys in the booth.

C

Chris is so poor at play by play. I understand it is TV but you still need to do play by play calling. I have watched a QB take the snap, drop back, throw or hand off, WR/RB run for some gain or get stopped and he does not say more than a couple words when the play ends with something like "Adam Taylor for 5 yard gain." Sounds like two color guys in the booth.

C

I feel like he's gotten worse at it. When he decided to go to the booth years ago, I thought he wasn't bad and if he kept improving (which is what most people do), he'd become pretty good. But like you, I find his calls boring, slow, and uninformative.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back