• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Locked due to no posts in 60 days. Report 1st post if need unlocked Learfield Directors Cup

Status
Not open for further replies.
It is not an absurb statement .... it really is a statement of fact. It is well documented that BB was focused on winning the Sears trophy. He spent an inordinate amount of time focused on non-revenue sports. Aside from expnading Memorial Stadium he did very little with the football program. He also could be blamed some for allowing the TO to FS transition without at least a due diligence review of other possible candidates..

He had no say in that deal.

He had no say in that deal.

I was thinking the same thing. Maybe I heard wrong, but I could have sworn that TO made his retirement announcement, and Solich succession plan when Byrne was out of Lincoln, and never tipped Byrne off to what was happening.

I guess Byrne could have publicly embarrassed TO, and told reporters the next day that TO doesn't name coaches, the AD does, and gone onto a national search. I could only imagine the additional amount of animosity people would have against Byrne had he done that.

I am not dismissing the accomplishments of BB during his NU tenure. He was a professional AD succeeding Devaney a revered personality.

And he did do a lot of good things including Skyboxes ... he also resurrected the baseball program.

I am not sure he deserves much credit for 3 NCs in football aside from the fact that he didn't screw anything up there. Remember TO was in place prior to his arrival.

Regardless of anyone's opinion on FS ... BB's primary job is to ensure that there is the best possible leadership for each of the programs. TO should have had significant input on the successorship but BB failed in allowing the transition to occur without at least doing some due diligence. When I leave my job, I may have some input on who my succesor is but at the end of the day I should not be the sole voice in that decision regardless of how revered I may (or may not) be! I also wonder what would have happened if BB would have told TO that he solely isn't allowed to hand-pick his successor. I wonder what TO would do now if BP told him that he (BP) had hand picked his successor.

I do not find it coincidental that BB left NU for aTm shortly after the football coaching transition occurred.

MASSIVE difference in Bo Pelini telling Tom Osborne who his successor will be v. Tom Osborne (legend) telling Bill Byrne ("outsider") the same. The fact is Byrne had no input and had no chance at doing a "nationwide search" despite the fact that it's been reported (I believe Shatel has related this more than once) that he wanted to. What's Byrne gonna do? Defy Tom Osborne? Now, don't anyone get their panties wadded up here but it's not all that different that Joe Paterno's pull within PSU...barring something sinister NOBODY was going to tell TO that he couldn't pick his man. Nobody.

You are comparing yourself and Bo Pelini to Tom Osborne, but I'm not convinced that either of you are quite as accomplished in your fields (I don't know you, so I suppose it's possible). Tom Osborne is considered one of the greatest football coaches in the history of the game, a living legend.
Just because you are great at your job, just because you are very accomplished at what you do doesn't automatically give you the ability to name your successor.

TOs unparrelled success as a coach doesn't automatically make him the best person to choose his succesor. TO should not have had any more right to do that than BP does now or I do in my field. In fact I would argue that his extreme loyalty is a decision making negative in this regard.

TO's recommendation for his replacement may carry more weight than BP, me or anyone else but he doesn't necessarily have an unbiased perspective and THAT can cloud your judgement.

Last edited:
Just because you are great at your job, just because you are very accomplished at what you do doesn't automatically give you the ability to name your successor.

TOs unparrelled success as a coach doesn't automatically make him the best person to choose his succesor. TO should not have had any more right to do that than BP does now or I do in my field. In fact I would argue that his extreme loyalty is a decision making negative in this regard.

TO's recommendation for his replacement may carry more weight than BP, me or anyone else but he doesn't necessarily have an unbiased perspective and THAT can cloud your judgement.

All generally true...but still had nothing to do with Byrne.

And the reality is coming off of 3 titles in 4 years and solich being the presumed next in line....his hire was probably inevitable. And it made sense.

All generally true...but still had nothing to do with Byrne.

And the reality is coming off of 3 titles in 4 years and solich being the presumed next in line....his hire was probably inevitable. And it made sense.
It has eeverything to do with BB.

He was the AD. He should of had these conversations with TO before anything was done. Inevitable ... maybe but it should have been done more transparently with thoughtful and responsible decision making by more than just one individual.

Do you think that Nick Saban or Mack Brown or Bill Belicheck should be allowed to appoint their successor without question? Should Joe Paterno ten years ago been allowed to appoint his successor?

It has eeverything to do with BB.

He was the AD. He should of had these conversations with TO before anything was done. Inevitable ... maybe but it should have been done more transparently with thoughtful and responsible decision making by more than just one individual.

Do you think that Nick Saban or Mack Brown or Bill Belicheck should be allowed to appoint their successor without question? Should Joe Paterno ten years ago been allowed to appoint his successor?

BB didn't have a say in it. I really can't understand why you don't get the dynamic here. TO pulled that string and there wasn't anything BB could do about it. Tom Osborne is a different animal than all of those guys you mentioned. People treat him like a god. He WAS (still is?) Nebraska football. Few coaches reach that level....Bear Bryant...Joe Paterno....Tom Osborne...Bobby Bowden. The difference between TO and those guys is he was leaving ON TOP of college football. Nothing he did could be questioned at that point and that included promoting Solich. Word was there wasn't a whole lot of love between he and Byrne and TO wasn't going to just "Retire and let the chips fall where they may." He made sure there was no choice BUT to go along with his wishes.

You are simply wrong on this one. BB had nothing to do with that hire and couldn't have contradicted. AND....again...when the program is rolling like it was the safe choice (don't fool yourself...the safe choice would have been made) is to promote the heir apparent.

Should Joe Paterno ten years ago been allowed to appoint his successor?

Have you been watching the news lately? Joe Paterno did what he damn well pleased. Yes. Ten years ago he would have told them who to hire if he felt strongly about anyone in particular, as TO did, and it would have been done.

maybe not 10 years ago...wasn't that about when people started saying he should retire...that he was getting too old? Whenever it was that Joe Pa was on top of his game, like TO was at the end, he absolutely would have had that clout.

Caught the very end of the "legends of the Big 10" thing last night and TO again made reference to a "promise had been made". Don't fool yourself and think that promise was ONLY to the Mrs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back