• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Layoffs at the OWH?

I grew up as a newspaper reader, and probably still would be ... we terminated our local paper early this calendar year for the fact that the monthly cost continues to rise and secondly the product for our Gannett News affiliated paper has become a product that is largely a consortium of USA Today and other Gannett sources / products with less and less local input / influence and seemingly an overall poorer quality journalism influenced by journalistic opinions that I abhor. Finally, I just don't subscribe to all the liberal BS that gets promulgated by the media ... print media or otherwise.

As others mentioned before, I can find sources and information through other means. I think there is probably an untapped business model out there that might make sense for a large portion of the potential customer base by some smart entrepreneur with a philosophy / ideology that is more in line w/ middle class America (or what is left of it).

I ended my OWH subscription last Dec do to the paper being 1/2 the size it had been and a rate increase that I would not accept. Had subscribed at some level since 1986 as a subscription in my name. Even when out of state I subscribed to at lest the Sunday paper by mail and for much of the time a Fri / Sat/ Sun option that was available. Missed for a while but not so much now. What gets me is what they want to charge for a digital only subscription after the intro pricing ends. None of the printing and distribution costs and the cost is not much different than getting it tossed in the driveway. ( or bushes, decorative pond, street gutter etc).

On a completely sad note: when the OWH changed its paper size and smaller font a few years ago, I was hoping that would be the end of their financial issues. I really do wonder what will happen if their business model does in fact fail someday and there is no one else to "layoff".

There is something about holding a paper and reading it as apposed to scrolling through the phone. It'll be a sad day when they close up shop.

You guys complaining about the small font size and other stuff, haven't read the obituary section. That sucker is huge, easy to read. Check it out.

I miss the actual newspaper..... I always thought the ink when absorbed through the fingers worked as an awesome stool loosener, particularly when combined with coffee.

k4iolw.jpg

Last edited:

Hope they land on their feet. I'm not a fan of the OWH though so I'm happy to see them reorg.

I grew up as a newspaper reader, and probably still would be ... we terminated our local paper early this calendar year for the fact that the monthly cost continues to rise and secondly the product for our Gannett News affiliated paper has become a product that is largely a consortium of USA Today and other Gannett sources / products with less and less local input / influence and seemingly an overall poorer quality journalism influenced by journalistic opinions that I abhor. Finally, I just don't subscribe to all the liberal BS that gets promulgated by the media ... print media or otherwise.

As others mentioned before, I can find sources and information through other means. I think there is probably an untapped business model out there that might make sense for a large portion of the potential customer base by some smart entrepreneur with a philosophy / ideology that is more in line w/ middle class America (or what is left of it).
Gannet bought and ruined out local Great Falls Tribune (Montana ) paper too. It has become no more than a 12 page phamplet now with half that ads. I canceled my subscription to that and pay for the Washington Post.

Dirk has written a book that looks to be very interesting. I will probably buy it when it comes out.
24th & Glory – The Intersection of Civil Rights and Omaha’s Greatest Generation of Athletes
$19.95
Award-winning journalist Dirk Chatelain uncovers the mystery of Omaha’s greatest generation of athletes. They rose out of segregation — higher and higher – as racial tensions in north O boiled hotter and hotter. During the civil rights era, they ascended to national prominence — Bob Boozer, Gale and Roger Sayers, Marlin Briscoe, Ron Boone, Johnny Rodgers and Bob Gibson.
Here is an excerpt from the OWH.

Little towns are dying because of consolidation in agriculture. When I was a kid, there were 2-3 farms on a section now it’s the opposite. As for Amazon, etc, over 50% of amazon sales are from third party sellers selling on their platform. If I was a small retail store, I’d sure as heck use that to enhance my sales, not complain about it. I do a side gig with an amazon store. I take advantage of inefficiencies in brick and mortar retail by purchasing items on clearance that Walmart and others can’t hardly give away and then sell it to people all over the world who want it. It’s crazy how it works, but it is 2019. You have to innovate. Print journalism is on its way out, but that doesn’t mean a talented journalist can’t make a living. There is demand for the content, just not the medium. The printer is the guy whose going to be out of the job.

Little towns are dying because of consolidation in agriculture. When I was a kid, there were 2-3 farms on a section now it’s the opposite. As for Amazon, etc, over 50% of amazon sales are from third party sellers selling on their platform. If I was a small retail store, I’d sure as heck use that to enhance my sales, not complain about it. I do a side gig with an amazon store. I take advantage of inefficiencies in brick and mortar retail by purchasing items on clearance that Walmart and others can’t hardly give away and then sell it to people all over the world who want it. It’s crazy how it works, but it is 2019. You have to innovate. Print journalism is on its way out, but that doesn’t mean a talented journalist can’t make a living. There is demand for the content, just not the medium. The printer is the guy whose going to be out of the job.

Not sure if this applies to your comments.

Dirk has written a book that looks to be very interesting. I will probably buy it when it comes out.

Here is an excerpt from the OWH.
Read part 1 in the OWH today, really good story. Part 2 comes out Thursday

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back