• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

lane Kiffin: college football is now a professional sport

EastOfEden

Junior Varsity
15 Year Member
Nods: put this in whatever forum is appropriate:

Kiffin has now said publicly what some of us have been saying on this board since the NIL decisions - college football is now a professional sport.

Its a great interview - he's always outspoken and he doesn't hold back here.
- the coming separation of the top 8-10 programs, then the next 15 programs and then the rest.
- the influence of the donors
- changes in how recruits look at programs
- wholesale portal entries every year, looking for pay raises among the elite players

I think he is completely right.

Hard to argue most of that, other than, I’m not sure Alabama has even close to the top NIL’s out there. College football as it was known, is dead. It’s a new world, and what happens in that world, is changing by the day. It’s hard to say what will happen in the next 5 years, or 10, but the sport has become a money factory, and now, it’s basically minor league, professional football. The schools with the most booster money will be the ones to excel, and separate. Who they are? I’m not sure yet, but we’ll know soon.

Hard to argue most of that, other than, I’m not sure Alabama has even close to the top NIL’s out there. College football as it was known, is dead. It’s a new world, and what happens in that world, is changing by the day. It’s hard to say what will happen in the next 5 years, or 10, but the sport has become a money factory, and now, it’s basically minor league, professional football. The schools with the most booster money will be the ones to excel, and separate. Who they are? I’m not sure yet, but we’ll know soon.

The sport has been a money factory for 20 years. The only reason there is any outrage is that the paying of players is out in the open now.

Nods: put this in whatever forum is appropriate:

Kiffin has now said publicly what some of us have been saying on this board since the NIL decisions - college football is now a professional sport.

Its a great interview - he's always outspoken and he doesn't hold back here.
- the coming separation of the top 8-10 programs, then the next 15 programs and then the rest.
- the influence of the donors
- changes in how recruits look at programs
- wholesale portal entries every year, looking for pay raises among the elite players

I think he is completely right.

Mods have now been relegated to Nods.

Mods have feelings too. :thumbsup:

The situation with Alabama is interesting. They have the track record of playing for and winning championships, and of putting guys in the NFL. That's worth a lot of money in and of itself, if you are making a purely financial decision as a recruited player. But will they lose their recruiting edge now in a way that hurts them on the field? It would be quite a story if Alabama fell from grace and it was blamed on the NIL changes.

The situation with Alabama is interesting. They have the track record of playing for and winning championships, and of putting guys in the NFL. That's worth a lot of money in and of itself, if you are making a purely financial decision as a recruited player. But will they lose their recruiting edge now in a way that hurts them on the field? It would be quite a story if Alabama fell from grace and it was blamed on the NIL changes.
I believe where I read they still came in second behind Texas A&M in recruiting rankings so I wouldn’t shed a tear for them yet. I do think you bring up some good points on whether they can sustain their success.

In your opinion. Not mine. It’s ruining everything. Greed is crumbling sports in general. Now it’s in the college ranks. Will only get worse. No going back.

But again, the real problem is that there are wealthy people willing to dish out the money to players.

The service (current day CFB) would fail if there were no customers (donors, fans in general).

That was the crux of the Saban-Jimbo debate.

Saban is concerned that Alabama won't be able to keep up with programs like A&M, as they have a much larger, wealthier alumni base. And they can rake in money from nearby big cities like Houston.

Saban may be right. While there's no doubt Bama has its fair share of "donors" (illegally before, legally now), there are schools they can't compete with financially. Texas A&M, Texas, USC, Notre Dame, Michigan, Ohio State, etc. are just a handful of examples of teams that could wipe Alabama off the table with NIL money if they chose to.

Last edited:

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back