• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Kurt Rafdal Transfering

Must’ve slipped behind Fidone in the initial spring practices. Opens up a spot for a more worthy player be it walk-on or transfer QB (I hope).

Must’ve slipped behind Fidone in the initial spring practices. Opens up a spot for a more worthy player be it walk-on or transfer QB (I hope).

We have two slots left in this recruiting cycle and his will not be one of them.

Look back to my thread on transfer Portal candidates and he was on it.

He is just too good a player to sit and we have way too many good TEs in front of him.

He will go to a FBS program close to home (indiana) and be a solid contributor to the team that gets him.

It’s only going to get bigger....

Rosters are going to shift constantly......

the 3 and 4 deep players and beyond will go where they can play....or think they can play.....

and it may be a lot of younger kids who want instant gratification and aren’t willing to wait.

I like the idea of better vetting....but I think that doesn’t truly address the issue.

We have to get kids convinced that they WILL get to play and they WILL get the exposure they want IF they just WAIT...... instead of instantly bailing when their number isn’t called right away.

And I think that may call for a whole new approach and branch within the football program. Let’s call it the Player Development and Retention Staff. And I know nothing about our current staff so if we have one of these already then the obvious thing is they need immediate reinforcements!

Their job will be to constantly COMMUNICATE with and track these kids...setting and tracking developmental goals...especially the younger ones. The idea of once they get to Lincoln things just sort themselves out just doesn’t fly anymore.

Each of these kids wants to think he has a big part to play and he has a future.

Just assuming that they now “big boys” and “young men” and capable of making their own decisions and a kid will be happy being 6 th string I think is ludicrous in today’s world.

If we want these kids to stay and become “depth” then we’re simply going to have to put a lot of effort into it.

And effort means....money

And we already spend literally HALF the money that SEC schools do on recruiting. Yet keep saying we want to compete with the “big boys”....

we not only need more money to recruit and vet better...we need more money and effort to RETAIN.

I love the idea of a new football facility. But it won’t mean a damn if we can’t put kids in it that are good and retain those kids. And we’re not talking about huge, huge money. A couple of million dollars spent right now gives far greater benefits to the future...IMHO.

Last edited:

I was surprised that Rafdal didn't transfer last year. He's a unique guy, 6'7" and can move and catch. Unfortunately for him, the guy in from of him is 6'8" and more mobile and agile. Would be fun if he went to the Griz in a trade. ;)

Best of luck to Kurt!

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back