• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Kudos to Frost

Whipple has been variable over time . Part of it has to do with replacing Adrian Martinez rushing yards. CT isn't that guy. Mobile yes. Win a game with his legs no. Our Oline will have to run more from RB position. Letting the big guys eat with some runs will help them gel and not rely so much on suspect/inexperienced pass blocking.
Dont sleep on Chubba and his legs. Not for design, but he can hurt a defense with his feet too.

It’s a no win scenario for Frost if he gets blamed for all the negatives but isn’t eligible for the credit for potential improvement. I think there would be enough joy to spread some credit around, but it would be kind of crappy to disqualify Frost from accolades.
On Tuesday, a caller to Damon Benning on the radio actually said that if the Huskers won a national championship this year, he would give no credit to SF for the achievement. His rationale is that SF was forced to change offensive staff over his objection. Therefore, if the team improves, he had nothing to do with it.

The caller did agree that any negatives should be blamed on SF though. So, at least he’s fair. :Sarcastic:

Now we won’t have to worry about a NC this year, but the call does show what SF is up against with some fans.

On Tuesday, a caller to Damon Benning on the radio actually said that if the Huskers won a national championship this year, he would give no credit to SF for the achievement. His rationale is that SF was forced to change offensive staff over his objection. Therefore, if the team improves, he had nothing to do with it.

The caller did agree that any negatives should be blamed on SF though. So, at least he’s fair. :Sarcastic:

Now we won’t have to worry about a NC this year, but the call does show what SF is up against with some fans.

I like to listen to many of the podcasts from that show and I also heard the call. That caller was pretty intense. :thumbsup:

Last edited:

C

Not with Whipple, IMO.

Pitt averaged like 130-150 yards on the ground last year?

I'd be pleased if we're hitting +120 rushing and maybe 150 passing.

If we're in the 275-300 ypg area, we wouldn't be losing games due to lack of offense.
Averaging 275-300 yards a game in todays football, is terrible. That spells out a losing record, and an outright putrid offense. Maybe you meant 375-400? I hope so. Personally, I’d like to see that total over 425 total, average.

Actually, we'd be near the bottom of all of FBS at 275-300 yards per game. Only four teams out of 130 averaged less than 275 ypg last season. Only 12 averaged less than 300 ypg. That may have been solid in about 1953. ;)
I’d like to see 500 a game again in my lifetime. I don’t care if it’s 150 rushing and 350 passing. Anything over 430 would be good. With Whipple, we’re not going to rush for 200 yards a game, I’m pretty sure. Hope he proves me wrong.

Sounds like some guys in this board.

It’s a no win scenario for Frost if he gets blamed for all the negatives but isn’t eligible for the credit for potential improvement. I think there would be enough joy to spread some credit around, but it would be kind of crappy to disqualify Frost from accolades.
Accolades for what?

If we have as stark a turnaround is you lay out…. Frost gets all the kudos?
Seems as if frost has gotten out of the way from the sounds of it. From players and coaches, it is the assistants doing the heavy lifting. Yes some credit for making the hires from outside his hunting buddies after 4 years should be acknowledged, but that’s more of a cancellation for keeping them around while doing nothing but selling bottles of snake oil about how much better everything was, every day, every practice, every week…. Every year.

As for 250 yards a game on the ground… aint happening. Once b1g games roll around, I’ll be shocked if we go over 250 more than once/twice. Perhaps that’s what you meant, not necessary averaging that.

Frost as always had that “swagger” it’s simple not been backed up. If the players develop a swagger of there own I’m all in.

Definitely not all the kudos. But, if this season does mark a turnaround for the program, he absolutely should get recognized for learning to step back and out of the way. It’s an important lesson for managers, and many never learn it.

Definitely not all the kudos. But, if this season does mark a turnaround for the program, he absolutely should get recognized for learning to step back and out of the way. It’s an important lesson for managers, and many never learn it.
I do not view as “stepping back and getting out of the way”

I do view it as empowering your staff, your organization and ceding leadership roles to them. The greatest leaders in the world are people who surround themselves with people smarter than themselves.

There is still so much work to do … I cannot believe that Whipple is creating an offensive identity without SF’s input. There are schemes, set designs and personnel decisions that SF can, should and better be involved in. Whipple, Joseph, Raolia and Applewhite may be the hands on guys but their name is not on the corner office and while they may or may not lose their jobs … SF’s career, legacy and job is also on the line.

If this season and future seasons are successful SF should get kudos for creating and empowering an organization (finally). Getting them the resources and opportunity to do their job. And creating a positive and productive environment for people to thrive.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back