• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Kona rubbed, smoked tri-tip roast

KingTM

All Big 10
5 Year Member
A buddy of mine has family in Hawaii and I was telling him how much I like real (non-blended) Kona coffee and he mentioned that he had access to some of the real stuff. I didn't think much of it until he brought some in. My mind immediately went to cooking with it, versus brewing and drinking it.

I sat on the Kona for about three weeks until I finally decided to do a rub with it. I went down to my local butcher and got a 3lb tri-tip roast (that stuff is expensive!) and mixed up a batch of Kona rub with the following:

1/4 cup Kona coffee
1/4 cup brown sugar
2 tbsp garlic powder
2 tbsp onion powder
2 tbsp smoked paprika
2 tbsp corriander
2 tbsp chipotle powder
1 tbsp ground mustard
2 tsp cinnamon

Rubbed the roast, covered and let sit in the refrigerator for a couple of hours. Once the rub was set, i put the roast on Oak and Cherry smoke at about 225 degrees until it reached 135 degrees, internally (about 2 hours). I then pulled the roast, let it rest for just a few minutes and then sliced it for serving. That was the best roast I have ever had. No question. If I had to do it over again, I probably would have used a less expensive cut of meat. I did a double take when they rung me up. Yeah I know, I should have checked the price but they didn't have any on display and I had to request it at the counter. Other than that, it was incredible. Smoky, moist, tender and that bit of bark and heat were outstanding.

Served it with a side of garlic (heavy, heavy garlic) mashed potatoes and wilted spinach with sauteed onions, garlic and mushrooms.

All in all, a great meal and this will be a go-to when having a "nice" dinner for company in the future. I would post pics but I was a bit deep into my "experimental" cooking mindset (drunk) by the time I plated it and the pic I did get doesn't do it much justice.

A buddy of mine has family in Hawaii and I was telling him how much I like real (non-blended) Kona coffee and he mentioned that he had access to some of the real stuff. I didn't think much of it until he brought some in. My mind immediately went to cooking with it, versus brewing and drinking it.

I sat on the Kona for about three weeks until I finally decided to do a rub with it. I went down to my local butcher and got a 3lb tri-tip roast (that stuff is expensive!) and mixed up a batch of Kona rub with the following:

1/4 cup Kona coffee
1/4 cup brown sugar
2 tbsp garlic powder
2 tbsp onion powder
2 tbsp smoked paprika
2 tbsp corriander
2 tbsp chipotle powder
1 tbsp ground mustard
2 tsp cinnamon

Rubbed the roast, covered and let sit in the refrigerator for a couple of hours. Once the rub was set, i put the roast on Oak and Cherry smoke at about 225 degrees until it reached 135 degrees, internally (about 2 hours). I then pulled the roast, let it rest for just a few minutes and then sliced it for serving. That was the best roast I have ever had. No question. If I had to do it over again, I probably would have used a less expensive cut of meat. I did a double take when they rung me up. Yeah I know, I should have checked the price but they didn't have any on display and I had to request it at the counter. Other than that, it was incredible. Smoky, moist, tender and that bit of bark and heat were outstanding.

Served it with a side of garlic (heavy, heavy garlic) mashed potatoes and wilted spinach with sauteed onions, garlic and mushrooms.

All in all, a great meal and this will be a go-to when having a "nice" dinner for company in the future. I would post pics but I was a bit deep into my "experimental" cooking mindset (drunk) by the time I plated it and the pic I did get doesn't do it much justice.
I think the coffee angle is a pretty good one.

My last brisket, I added some coffee to the rub (Nespresso capsule opened up. Or any espresso grind). And later, when I wrapped it added a shot of espresso. I really liked the results.

Attachments

• kona tri-tip.jpg
    kona tri-tip.jpg
    22.9 KB · Views: 132
Last edited:

I think the coffee angle is a pretty good one.

My last brisket, I added some coffee to the rub (Nespresso capsule opened up. Or any espresso grind). And later, when I wrapped it added a shot of espresso. I really liked the results.

I can't wait to try this on a brisket, myself. Sounds very tasty.

Especially when slicing with an electric knife.

I thought I cut it against the grain. Did I not? Admittedly, that was a lost night. :wow:

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back