• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Klinsmann says "I'm not afraid" of being fired, calls those calling for change "disrespectful"

Red Reign

Husker Immortal
15 Year Member
My goodness....just end this nightmare....the only one ignoring the facts is Klinsman.

Jurgen Klinsmann, whose status as coach of the United States men’s national team is under intense scrutiny, said Sunday night that he was “very comfortable” with his position and that he believed those calling for him to be fired were “being disrespectful” and “ignoring the facts” about his tenure as the team’s leader.

If Gulati decides to replace Klinsmann, it could be announced as soon as this week, according to several soccer executives familiar with the situation, who spoke on the condition of anonymity because they were not authorized to publicly discuss a personnel decision.

Klinsmann conceded that he understood the criticism — “I am not saying I have nothing to be blamed for,” he said — and in many other countries, he probably would have been fired after a disappointing flameout in the 2015 Gold Cup, the regional championship tournament the United States hosted, or after his team’s loss to Mexico in the Confederations Cup playoff later that year. That Gulati, who pursued Klinsmann for five years before hiring him in 2011, has stuck with him this long is indicative of how much Gulati has staked on Klinsmann, a former striker for Germany.

Yet now, with calls for change from both inside and outside U.S. Soccer growing, the potential for a switch is significant. Many believe that Klinsmann’s constant tinkering with lineups and formations has kept the United States team from growing tactically, and some believe that the Americans’ collapse in the second half against Costa Rica last week was indicative of Klinsmann’s no longer being able to motivate his players.

Many would argue that Gulati and others at U.S. Soccer have given Klinsmann more than enough time. And although Klinsmann is confident, a poor result in the next qualifying game — at home against Honduras, with a trip to Panama scheduled days later — would make things even more tenuous. By that time, a coaching change on the fly would be especially difficult.

That is why it is expected that a resolution of the coaching situation will be reached soon. Klinsmann will either receive a vote of confidence or be fired.

Last edited:

Narcissistic is about the best way to describe JK. He knows more than anyone else, to suggest otherwise is apparently disrespectful. Just fire him already, and bring in someone that can develop a strategy to win a damn match, and actually develop players instead of trotting out Jones & others instead of players that might actually grow while playing.

There plenty of individuals who can implement a Euro-Youth program experience in the USA. Not sure why anyone thinks they need to also be coach.

Gulati needs to do the right thing here and get past his fan boy crush. I'm hoping there is enough pressure put on him from inside US Soccer to end this nightmare.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back