• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Klinsmann picks 21 Players to Face Italy on 29 Feb on ESPN 2

Red Reign

Husker Immortal
15 Year Member
Game is Wednesday 28 Feb at 1:30 PM CST.....on ESPN2, ESPN3 and Galavision.....Glad to see Torres back injury free from his broken leg....also Guzan who had a really nice spell with Aston Villa....pretty much a European based team this time around....both Donovan and Buddle played in Europe until the past few weeks....

Spector having a very good season at Birmignham City....

Bradley has had a great season in Italy.....really nice to see an American have that kind of impact their...future USA Captain in my opinion...only 24....

Demspey a career year in England with 17 goals....

Altidore having his break through season in Holland with 15 goals thus far....

U.S. ROSTER BY POSITION - DETAILED ROSTERGOALKEEPERS (3) :Brad Guzan (Aston Villa), Tim Howard (Everton), Nick Rimando (Real Salt Lake)

DEFENDERS (7) :Carlos Bocanegra (Rangers), Geoff Cameron (Houston Dynamo), Timmy Chandler (Nürnberg), Steve Cherundolo (Hannover 96), Clarence Goodson (Brondby), Michael Parkhurst (FC Nordsjaelland), Jonathan Spector (Birmingham City)

MIDFIELDERS (6) : Michael Bradley (Chievo Verona), Maurice Edu (Rangers), Fabian Johnson (Hoffenheim), Jermaine Jones (Schalke 04), Jose Torres (Pachuca), Danny Williams (Hoffenheim)

FORWARDS (5) :Jozy Altidore (AZ Alkmaar), Terrence Boyd (Borussia Dortmund), Edson Buddle (LA Galaxy), Clint Dempsey (Fulham), Landon Donovan (LA Galaxy)

http://www.ussoccer.com/News/Mens-National-Team/2012/02/Klinsmann-Names-US-Roster-for-Italy.aspx

Last edited:
When I saw Boyd's name I had no clue who he was so found this tidbit:

Boyd, 21, has been a standout player for Dortmund’s under-23 team, with 11 goals in 17 games this season. He has also been a top performer with the United States U-23 team in recent camps as it prepares for Olympic qualifying next month.

http://goal.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/02/25/yanks-abroad-boyd-takes-a-step-up/

He has been called up to start training with the 1st team; Dortmund is loaded, young and plays an attacking style(jealous Bayern fan)

Jermaine Jones has withdrawn due to a calf strain also

Jermaine Jones I am no fan of....hopefully he calls in Kljestan who deserved to be in the team over Jones to begin with....Kljesten is having a really good season in Europe...

With that being said playing in Italy will be no small task especially the way this team has played under Klinsman....

When I saw Boyd's name I had no clue who he was so found this tidbit:

Boyd, 21, has been a standout player for Dortmund’s under-23 team, with 11 goals in 17 games this season. He has also been a top performer with the United States U-23 team in recent camps as it prepares for Olympic qualifying next month.

http://goal.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/02/25/yanks-abroad-boyd-takes-a-step-up/

He has been called up to start training with the 1st team; Dortmund is loaded, young and plays an attacking style(jealous Bayern fan)

Jermaine Jones has withdrawn due to a calf strain also

Last edited:
I spoke to soon....Torres looks he will not play either because of an injury....unbelievable a coach would play a plyer with an injury for over 20 minutes like that....

Torres played 90 minutes in Pachuca's 1-1 draw against Tigres on Saturday night, but was forced to play the final 20 minutes with an injury due to the fact Pachuca had already used all three substitutions.

Reports out of Mexico have quoted Pachuca head coach Efrain Flores as saying Torres suffered an injury late in the match and looks unlikely to join the U.S. national team in Italy for Wednesday's friendly.

If Torres is forced out of Wednesday's friendly, he would join Jermaine Jones among national team players injured this weekend. The injuries will likely force U.S. national team head coach Jurgen Klinsmann to make emergency call-ups, with Sacha Kljestan a leading candidate to be called in as a replacement.

http://www.soccerbyives.net/soccer_...njured-looks-doubtful-for-italy-friendly.html

Altidore with two more goals today for his club now has 17 on the season in all competitions...

Rossi the American born and raised striker is out with a torn ACL...

Italy Roster by Position
GOALKEEPERS (4): Gianluigi Buffon (Juventus), Morgan De Sanctis (Napoli), Salvatore Sirigu (Paris Saint Germain), Emiliano Viviano (Palermo)

DEFENDERS (9): Ignazio Abate (AC Milan), Davide Astori (Cagliari), Federico Balzaretti (Palermo), Andrea Barzagli (Juventus), Leonardo Bonucci (Juventus), Giorgio Chiellini (Juventus), Domenico Criscito (Zenit St. Petersburg), Christian Maggio (Napoli), Angelo Ogbonna (Torino)

MIDFIELDERS (6): Daniele De Rossi (Roma), Claudio Marchisio (Juventus), Riccardo Montolivo (Fiorentina), Thiago Motta (Paris Saint Germain), Antonio Nocerino (AC Milan), Andrea Pirlo (Juventus)

FORWARDS (4): Fabio Borini (Roma), Sebastian Giovinco (Parma), Alessandro Matri (Juventus), Giampaolo Pazzini (Inter Milan)

http://www.ussoccer.com/Social/MNT-Blog.aspx

Last edited:

Donovan is ruled out too with Bronchitis....

Dropping like flies are USA players...

Last edited:
Updated Roster
GK:
Brad Guzan (Aston Villa), Tim Howard (Everton), Nick Rimando (Real Salt Lake)

DEF: Carlos Bocanegra (Rangers), Geoff Cameron (Houston Dynamo), Steve Cherundolo (Hannover 96), Clarence Goodson (Brondby), Michael Parkhurst (FC Nordsjaelland), Jonathan Spector (Birmingham City)

MID: Michael Bradley (Chievo Verona), Maurice Edu (Rangers), Fabian Johnson (Hoffenheim), Sacha Kljestan (Anderlecht), Danny Williams (Hoffenheim)

FOR: Jozy Altidore (AZ Alkmaar), Terrence Boyd (Borussia Dortmund), Edson Buddle (LA Galaxy), Clint Dempsey (Fulham), Brek Shea (FC Dallas)

http://www.ussoccerplayers.com/ussoccerplayers/2012/02/klinsmann-announces-squad-changes.html#more

Donovan is ruled out too with Bronchitis....

Dropping like flies are USA players...

I have chronic bronchitis myself...it ain't a easy thing to kick once it gets ahold of you. Usually 2-3 weeks each time it hits.

and the damned thing is I never smoke. :mad:

Last edited:

Too bad about Donovan. Maybe I'm missing something, but is that the best the US can do for defensive players? Bocanegra and Cherundolo are good, but getting up there in age (and shouldn't really be apart of the 2014 WC), and Spector has been woefully disapointing.

The league itself is perhaps the most technical league in the world....but yes issues long has had issues with corruption of both refs and players...

Too bad about Donovan. Maybe I'm missing something, but is that the best the US can do for defensive players? Bocanegra and Cherundolo are good, but getting up there in age (and shouldn't really be apart of the 2014 WC), and Spector has been woefully disapointing.

No Feilhaber? I kind of liked the idea of him in center midfield with Bradley, but perhaps I'm rooting for the underdog there.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back