• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Locked due to no posts in 60 days. Report 1st post if need unlocked Kicking coach?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Huskernation

Recruit
5 Year Member
I was reading the thread about no QB coach and can see why Taylor has struggled and not progressed and this lead me to the question about special teams. I know there is a special teams coach, but they are concerned about all 11 players... so do we have a dedicated kicker's coach? How have we consistently had such great kickers (punters and place kickers)? Do they do camps in the summer?

I was reading the thread about no QB coach and can see why Taylor has struggled and not progressed and this lead me to the question about special teams. I know there is a special teams coach, but they are concerned about all 11 players... so do we have a dedicated kicker's coach? How have we consistently had such great kickers (punters and place kickers)? Do they do camps in the summer?

Because you don't have to have played a position to be able to coach it.

I can only go as far back as Scott Downing and Dan Young. Nebraska does NOT have a kicking coach. Those 2 obviously coached other positions but had the ability to coach both kickers/and punters. Scott Downing especially had the knack. I know he worked with punters mostly and I believe Dan had a little more knowledge with the kickers but both were interchangeable. Nebraska has kicking/punting/long snapping camps for high schoolers. I was lucky enough to work 3 of those. 2 with coach Downing and 1 when Billy C was there. They use high school coaches and bring back whomever is available of former players. Also unless I am mistaken there is NOT a special teams coach, there is a 'Special Team Coordinator' with each coach splitting up the coaching duties. Most of these kids (not all but most) are specializing in high school these days. There are not many teams that after a TD bring in the right guard to push the ball through. I took some of my former punters to a Ray Guy camp for 4 years and there are usually 50 to 60 kids there and he had 30 camps throughout the US and he is just one guy. Kicking/Punting/Long Snapping are no longer after thoughts, as evident by NU offering a long snapper a scholie.

As you can tell I love special teams. To me this is the fun part of the game.

THe kicking coach is one in the same with the QB coach.....lots of similarities with the way the kickers kick and our QBs throw

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back