• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Keven Lightner: Update -- out of the hospital

Horrible news. I remember him well. He played when I first became a Husker fan. My thoughts are with him and his family.

GoFundMe drive is under way. Apparently his insurance in Japan, where he's currently employed, isn't covering his ICU expenses in Nebraska.

Saturday update: Some encouraging news

by Kelly Leipold, Organizer

8/8 update: Today has been a GREAT day!!! Keven's fever is down...AND... he was able to squeeze his nurses hand!! And when asked if he had a son named Kade and a daughter named Alexis, he nodded YES!!!!! We aren't out of the woods completely, but for today..right now... we have a glimmer of hope. He continues to be a little combative with the ventilator, so they dialed up his sedation a bit to keep him calmer. If his night goes well, then tomorrow morning they will consider a "vent wean" to see if he can potentially start doing some breathing on his own. Big shout out to his nurse Anthony, who decided the classical music being played in Keven's room probably wasn't helping wake him...so.. he turned the TV to the BIG10 network football games!!! Thank you everyone for all the thoughts, prayers, and kind messages. We are forever grateful.

#57Strong

Sunday update: "One step forward, then a couple back"

8/9 Update: We are on day 13 of being hospitalized due to covid. One step forward then a couple back. I will start with a couple positives. Our son Kade is finally out of a long and lonely covid quarantine (after being exposed & symptomatic). The very first thing he did was come to my house last night with our daughter Alexis and her lovely boyfriend, for Valentino's Pizza. The second thing he wanted to do, was go see Dad. This morning, the three of us did just that. Keven was able to open his eyes and shake his head to acknowledge they were there. (in the hallway...still behind glass) He probably won't remember this when all is said and done, but its important to us that he knows he is NOT alone. It's awful for them to see their Dad this way...but they are handling it like champs and I am so proud of their composure, strength, and doing what's best for Keven, even if it is sad and uncomfortable for them.

Yesterday was such an advancement in his healing, we thought for sure today would be even more good news. But...covid still SUCKS. Several things going on that all lead to upping his pain meds, upping the sedation, and adjusting everything they are pumping in his body. He is confused and agitated when he "comes to" enough that he is stressing his body out. He's just not ready yet.

Thank you everyone for the thoughts and prayers. They are being heard.

~Erin
#57Strong

Thanks for keeping us updated. Still praying.

Just found out my cousin has it also. Never know who it's going to hit, or how serious.

That’s really right. I hope your cousin does ok. It’s such a weird disease. one person gets the sniffles, another goes into catastrophic multi system failure.

I’m at low risk but then I walk through our intensive care unit and see someone my age tubed and on dialysis.....it catches your attention quick

That’s really right. I hope your cousin does ok. It’s such a weird disease. one person gets the sniffles, another goes into catastrophic multi system failure.

I’m at low risk but then I walk through our intensive care unit and see someone my age tubed and on dialysis.....it catches your attention quick

My aunt and uncle both got it. He barely had any symptoms, she was in ICU for a month and on a ventilator for 12 days. There's no doubt in my mind that if this were March or April, she absolutely would have died. Fortunately, she is making an amazing recovery but still not out of the woods yet.
Chi, have you or any of your colleagues noticed more success with the use of steroids? That was one of the treatments they used that really seemed to work.

My aunt and uncle both got it. He barely had any symptoms, she was in ICU for a month and on a ventilator for 12 days. There's no doubt in my mind that if this were March or April, she absolutely would have died. Fortunately, she is making an amazing recovery but still not out of the woods yet.
Chi, have you or any of your colleagues noticed more success with the use of steroids? That was one of the treatments they used that really seemed to work.

Both remdesevir and dexamethasone probably provide some benefit. Like a lot of people in the ICU, medical care is mostly focused a lot on supporting failed organs and treating infections until your body can pull itself together. The meds may provide some benefit, but I think in general, we have learned a lot about bad COVID (vent strategies, avoiding the vent, blood thinners, etc)

Both remdesevir and dexamethasone probably provide some benefit. Like a lot of people in the ICU, medical care is mostly focused a lot on supporting failed organs and treating infections until your body can pull itself together. The meds may provide some benefit, but I think in general, we have learned a lot about bad COVID (vent strategies, avoiding the vent, blood thinners, etc)

Good to hear. I'll try to get more info from my mom, who is a retired nurse, but what I heard about it was something about hypoxia and that steroids worked well

Good news Monday :thumbsup:

8/10 Update: Everyone...I have THE BEST NEWS TO SHARE!!! Keven's overall condition stayed stable yesterday and overnight. Today he passed the tests required to determine if they could decide to take him off the ventilator. So this afternoon they did just that!! He is OFF the ventilator and actually able to talk! I have never witnessed such a miracle. He is very, very weak as you might imagine...barely can lift or move his hands or arms...which makes him VERY frustrated. He was able to look at me through the glass entry to his room..and the nurse helped us communicate for just a little bit.

He knows he has covid and is in the hospital, but had no idea for how long. Hopefully he doesn't remember much of anything. I assured him HOW much we love him, how much love, prayers, and support he had from all over the world. I let him know that Kade and Alexis were very worried about him and that Kade had not gotten as sick as he (Kev) was before going into the hospital. I told him I had been updating his family, friends and basically the world on his progress. He might not like the emotional and difficult details that I have offered and shared...but I truly believe and hope that it not only shows him HOW scared we were of losing him but also that if just ONE person shifted their view on covid.....If one person wore a mask when maybe they hadn't, chose not to have a party, or thought of him nearly losing his life to this and chose to make changes, then it would be worth him being upset at me.

He still has a lot of hurdles to overcome. Continuing to get stronger, remaining heart and kidney issues, and the chest tube is still in, but today, HE'S OFF THE VENTILATOR.

**He did drop a couple F-Bomb's right after the vent tube out. I wouldn't have expected anything less (We'll just blame it on the meds he's on). I will continue updating as improvements are made. Thank you to everyone who has prayed, messaged, prayed again, and donated to his Go Fund Me.

~Erin
#57Strong

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back